Speculation: Predict RNH's next contract

What will RNH re-sign for?

• Total voters

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We are maybe 1 year away from Holloway being good enough to be an impact player, and maybe not even that long. He is the obvious replacement for RNH. So, why sign RNH for many years, including multiple albatross years at the end? It seems smart to get a stop-gap RNH replacement who will sign for 2 years, maybe 3.

I know it seems like the "safe" option to stick with what we have in RNH, but I really disagree that it really is so safe. Look at how these young guys step up over and over around the league, and look at how these forwards in their late 20s/early 30s can fall off a cliff and become anchors
Asset management demands it.

iliketorock

May 23, 2021
I know Coleman has a much better track record, but I have a gut feeling hes Clarkson 2.0 once he gets paid. Nothing to back that up, but I think the money from not keeping Nuge could be better spent elsewhere.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
If he believes in himself he won't sign a long term deal under 6.5M. He's young enough to sign a short term deal to make it through the flat cap and try UFA again.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
only 5 out of about 140 predicted lower, 22 had the correct price, and 120 predicted significantly higher. To be fair, most of us assumed he would get that bigger amount somewhere else but, fact is, Holland beat almost all of our estimates

We could speculate about him wanting to be an Oiler for life, based on what he said to the media, but you never really know. Nuge just proved he wanted to stay here. He could have easily got more in free agency, and we’re so used to having to overpay to keep guys, so it was the safe assumption that it would be more

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We are maybe 1 year away from Holloway being good enough to be an impact player, and maybe not even that long. He is the obvious replacement for RNH. So, why sign RNH for many years, including multiple albatross years at the end? It seems smart to get a stop-gap RNH replacement who will sign for 2 years, maybe 3.

I know it seems like the "safe" option to stick with what we have in RNH, but I really disagree that it really is so safe. Look at how these young guys step up over and over around the league, and look at how these forwards in their late 20s/early 30s can fall off a cliff and become anchors

The bold is a fair assessment of the league but not really relevant to our situation. Young guys like caufield et al, stepping up around the league doesn't help us on our team. Look how many of our young guys don't step up over and over.... if we were churning out dudes like Boston or Tampa then I'd be more inclined to agree, but the fact is our prospects usually fizzle out like farts in the wind, so we don't get that luxury.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hey fellow Oiler fans, would you be okay with RNH getting a $35 Million dollar deal if the term was stretched out over 7 years? That's an AAV of $5 Million. Such a contract and a player could allow for:

XXX - McDavid - Puljujarvi
XXX - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - RNH - XXX
Archibald - McLeod - Kassian

With RNH moving up to wing when the situation warrants:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - McLeod - XXX
XXX - Khaira(?) - Kassian

That is league best depth at center, but tghat still requires us to get two top six forwards and two bottom six forwards, which is exactly how I see the needs of this team.
Gotta give ya credit, u were close

Reactions: TFHockey

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Hey fellow Oiler fans, would you be okay with RNH getting a $35 Million dollar deal if the term was stretched out over 7 years? That's an AAV of $5 Million. Such a contract and a player could allow for:

XXX - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - RNH - XXX
Archibald - McLeod - Kassian

With RNH moving up to wing when the situation warrants:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - McLeod - XXX
XXX - Khaira(?) - Kassian

That is league best depth at center, but tghat still requires us to get two top six forwards and two bottom six forwards, which is exactly how I see the needs of this team.

Missed this post first time around, but appreciate the bump Oilers in NS.

This is exactly how I see our forwards and exactly why signing Nuge to a cap friendly deal was the right decision. If we can develop or sign a two-way 3C, great! If not, Nuge can step into that role and not be terribly overpaid. We are essentially 2 of those XXX's and a 1A/B goalie away from being a contender (assuming Klef is back). One of those XXX's could be Holloway.

This signing allows Holland to be out there looking for the best fit cap/talent wise for LW or C. If you get a true #1LW you can even put Kassian back up with McDavid and have Pulju with RNH (which might be good match of skillsets IMO).

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Missed this post first time around, but appreciate the bump Oilfan in NS.

This is exactly how I see our forwards and exactly why signing Nuge to a cap friendly deal was the right decision. If we can develop or sign a two-way 3C, great! If not, Nuge can step into that role and not be terribly overpaid. We are essentially 2 of those XXX's and a 1A/B goalie away from being a contender (assuming Klef is back). One of those XXX's could be Holloway.

This signing allows Holland to be out there looking for the best fit cap/talent wise for LW or C. If you get a true #1LW you can even put Kassian back up with McDavid and have Pulju with RNH (which might be good match of skillsets IMO).

Gotta give ya credit, u were close

Thanks guys :)

Great signing by Holland. Did not overpay, although worked it out with an 8 year term and a full NMC.

Chiarelli would have given 8 years, a NMC and $9 Million AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00