Speculation: Predict RNH's next contract

What will RNH re-sign for?

• Total voters

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Don't really care, as long as it's not one more penny from the Oilers!

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm right in line with the OP. 6 x 5.5 with the Oilers after the expansion draft because I think he tests the market first and circles back to the Oilers if he values winning over money.

If not with the Oilers, it'll be the Kraken at 7 x 6.5. I don't see Holland going $6M+ on a 5+ year contract.

If Nuge circles back after the fact make it less. He'd already demonstrated his lack of commitment to be here by then, and is by then WORTH less. If he comes back tail between the legs give him a lesser amount.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Will be an interesting one. I think hes closer to a 5 million dollar player than a 6 million. In the open market someone will likely pay him 6mil + but its going to be very likely a bad team. Most teams that are good dont have cap space. Ball will be in RNH's court. Signing with Oilers is likely in his best interest, but if he really wants money, will be other teams for him. I like the player but the Oilers cant overpay him. Too much of a complimentary player, doesnt drive offense enough for big money.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I don't see what RNH even brings to the table... ZERO commitment to get stronger and add size or be gritty. He is on the same workout regimen as my 15 year old daughter. Sad really from an NHL player who has all the tools and professionals to add size and strength. His arms look like a Girl Guide.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kind of amazing that 50% of the poll think RNH will sign for 5.5M, and most of those being fans of RNH and saying that despite their feelings that Nuge is high valued player, and that nuge Himself has called such initial offers unflattering.

So the votes don't make much sense to me. People that figure Nuge is special voting he'll get 5.5M.

Somebody will pay this guy at least 6-6.5. Poor GM's exist. Will be somewhere else. Nuge did everything possible to put himself on sale for next contract but somebody will offer based on memory and alleged potential, despite this being a 28yr old forward. How time flies.

In anycase its interesting how much RNH has skewed down his perceived value, even among fans. Not sure what to make of that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Kind of amazing that 50% of the poll think RNH will sign for 5.5M, and most of those being fans of RNH and saying that despite their feelings that Nuge is high valued player, and that nuge Himself has called such initial offers unflattering.

So the votes don't make much sense to me. People that figure Nuge is special voting he'll get 5.5M.

For clarity's sake, here's the full quote on the "unflattering" offer:

“No meaningful progress but that certainly [is] not for a lack of trying. I’m told that the Oilers tabled a recent offer to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and his camp but it was one that wasn’t flattering; I believe in the five-year term, certainly not one that Nugent-Hopkins was rushing to find a table to sign. At this point, these two sides are going to continue talking, that’s what they’ve agreed to. They’re going to continue the dialogue and see if they can work something out and I have zero sense at this point that the Oilers have any interest in moving Nugent-Hopkins before the trade deadline even without a deal done. They’d like to keep him and try and find a way to win as well as keep him locked up long term. We’ll see if they can do that.”

Note there's nothing in there about the size of the offer: it could have been $3M for five years for all we know.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
If Nuge circles back after the fact make it less. He'd already demonstrated his lack of commitment to be here by then, and is by then WORTH less. If he comes back tail between the legs give him a lesser amount.

Seeing what his market value is elsewhere to assist in his negotiations does not necessarily signify a lack a commitment. It's his right as a UFA.

I hope he comes back at 5.5 unless we can find a more well-rounded player for a similar price.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
$6.5M with another team. I doubt anyone goes over 4 years with the season he just had.

RNH is convinced he should get a raise, seems the primary focus.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Seeing what his market value is elsewhere to assist in his negotiations does not necessarily signify a lack a commitment. It's his right as a UFA.

I hope he comes back at 5.5 unless we can find a more well-rounded player for a similar price.

5.5-6M gets a better player or 2 than Nuge. Nuge is over rated and the utter definition of a weak floater/peripheral type player. YES there are better players than Nuge for way cheaper. Every team has them.....even over seas. Let Nuge walk....should have traded him years ago, it just seems he was always hurt when they did want to trade him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hey fellow Oiler fans, would you be okay with RNH getting a $35 Million dollar deal if the term was stretched out over 7 years? That's an AAV of $5 Million. Such a contract and a player could allow for:

XXX - McDavid - Puljujarvi
XXX - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - RNH - XXX
Archibald - McLeod - Kassian

With RNH moving up to wing when the situation warrants:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
XXX - McLeod - XXX
XXX - Khaira(?) - Kassian

That is league best depth at center, but tghat still requires us to get two top six forwards and two bottom six forwards, which is exactly how I see the needs of this team.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey fellow Oiler fans, would you be okay with RNH getting a $35 Million dollar deal if the term was stretched out over 7 years? That's an AAV of $5 Million. Such a contract and a player could allow for:

XXX - RNH - XXX

XXX - McLeod - XXX

That is league best depth at center, but tghat still requires us to get two top six forwards and two bottom six forwards, which is exactly how I see the needs of this team.

I personally would be happy with a 5x7, though I'm sure many others wouldn't. I'd have him on the LW with Drai-Yams rather than at 3C though.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

XXX - RNH - XXX

XXX - McLeod - XXX

Nuge looked this year like he doesn’t have much left to give at 28 years old. He doesn’t have an athletes body as it is. I sure as hell wouldn’t be signing him to a 7 year contract at any dollar amount. I can’t help but think of Loui Eriksson anytime I think of the Oilers extending Nuge longer than a couple years.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Anymore than 5M area for us and I'll be ticked ...

Anything more than 6M on another team is fine

Not good enough 5x5

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nuge looked this year like he doesn’t have much left to give at 28 years old. He doesn’t have an athletes body as it is. I sure as hell wouldn’t be signing him to a 7 year contract at any dollar amount. I can’t help but think of Loui Eriksson anytime I think of the Oilers extending Nuge longer than a couple years.

He has 61 points in 65 games last year. 69 in 82 before that. He is a cerebral player, not a crash and bang power forward. Smart players who can skate typically remain useful and productive long after power forwards begin to decline.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Pls don't bring him back unless it's 4.5M or under with 4 or less years

He cannot generate any offence without McDrai and is honestly overrated defensively. He's weak and lacks intensity as we all have seen in the playoffs

I'd rather use the money on 2 players in the 3.5M range that would be more useful;

Reactions: booyakasha

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Leavins was saying he believes there is a “brown envelope” of $30M to work with, so Nuge would have to be re-signed for some combination of that. I’m thinking he might go for $6M x 5 then and look for a retirement contract afterwards. He could go $5M x 6 but I don’t see the point if the dollars are the same and he can gamble on grabbing that same retirement contract a year later

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Leavins was saying he believes there is a “brown envelope” of $30M to work with, so Nuge would have to be re-signed for some combination of that. I’m thinking he might go for $6M x 5 then and look for a retirement contract afterwards. He could go $5M x 6 but I don’t see the point if the dollars are the same and he can gamble on grabbing that same retirement contract a year later

I would mail that envelope to Seattle and ask them to do with it as they will.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I would mail that envelope to Seattle and ask them to do with it as they will.

I’m no huge fan of Nuge but I’d rather they spend that on him and only have to look for one more top 6 winger than two. Plus he can reasonably cover as 2C (not great but possible injury insurance).

Reactions: ujju2 and TFHockey

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
As the Vegas expansion draft proved, there's a lot of dull knives in the NHL GMs drawer. Holland can't afford to botch the expansion draft and the RNH contract in 1 off-season.
Think in these terms: the more RNH gets, the less we have to get rid of the Neal and Kosk contracts.....do you want that on your conscience?? Hmm????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad