Speculation: Predict RNH's next contract

What will RNH re-sign for?

• Total voters

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The leagues strangest 2C.
If he is a 1C, youre a bad team. He just isnt a 1 C on a playoff successful team. If he where, I could only see Ny Rangers being that team.

6,5 m$ is very expensive considering his overall hockey package.

Elite in those areas that is strengths in superstars. Hockey sense, reading the game, shot, passing, breaking up plays, etc.

But clear under average in face off, strength, boardplay, elevating the game in kmportant games. inprovement season to aeason. very very rare stale career progression. Almost none. The exact same player as he entered the league. Maybe less passer, and more goalscoring.

Maybe not even that. He scored a hattrick in one of his very first game if I recall right.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
At this point I think fans (myself included) are being a little to hard on RNH. Lots of guys had rough seasons this year and it's hard to blame them with covid going on. In the end him having a down year in his contract year might end up being a good thing. Before covid people were thinking he wouldnt take less than 7M on a long term contract.

He had a 55 point pro-rated season this year and a 77 pro-rated season last year with 69 the season before. I mean if RNH does bounce back, who is capable of replacing that in free agency? Only guy I see is Landeskog and hes going to get like 8x8 from Colorado.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
At this point I think fans (myself included) are being a little to hard on RNH. Lots of guys had rough seasons this year and it's hard to blame them with covid going on. In the end him having a down year in his contract year might end up being a good thing. Before covid people were thinking he wouldnt take less than 7M on a long term contract.

He had a 55 point pro-rated season this year and a 77 pro-rated season last year with 69 the season before. I mean if RNH does bounce back, who is capable of replacing that in free agency? Only guy I see is Landeskog and hes going to get like 8x8 from Colorado.

I am trying to look at RNH objectively and for me it really comes down to how much he will sign for. Is he really willing to take a decent home town discount with term or does he want to get close to market value.
If he was willing to go 4.5mil x 7 years, sure I would do that.
If he is looking for 5.5mil + then objectively I think can we use that money to make the team better, not necessarily try to replace him but overall make the team better.

Would we be better as a team adding say Coleman and Haula for the same cost as RNH if he wanted 5.5-6mil? I personally think our depth is so poor that we are better off taking Coleman and Haula in that scenario. Of course this is all dependent on Holland being able to add more decent depth players with the remaining money as well.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I am trying to look at RNH objectively and for me it really comes down to how much he will sign for. Is he really willing to take a decent home town discount with term or does he want to get close to market value.
If he was willing to go 4.5mil x 7 years, sure I would do that.
If he is looking for 5.5mil + then objectively I think can we use that money to make the team better, not necessarily try to replace him but overall make the team better.

Would we be better as a team adding say Coleman and Haula for the same cost as RNH if he wanted 5.5-6mil? I personally think our depth is so poor that we are better off taking Coleman and Haula in that scenario. Of course this is all dependent on Holland being able to add more decent depth players with the remaining money as well.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather spend the extra 1M and sign RNH for less term. I think 5.5 x 5 years is a good deal for whoever signs him. I'd hate signing a guy knowing that he would even be lucky to play in those final two years.

5.5 x 5 =27.5M (I would break it down 7,6,5.5,5,4).

For me, I think several teams would consider signing that for RNH, which probably means it's a fair deal or even a discounts to stay here.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
At this point I wouldn't care if we let him walk! Don't need to overpay to keep him around.

Look at the Islanders, lost Tavares but used the money wisely on some solid depth.

Tavares went on to sign a 7 year contract at 11M per season. I'm not sure that's the best comparable to RNH. Also we traded our depth (the pick that turned out to be Barzal). We don't have a Barzal ready to replace RNH in the system.

Reactions: ujju2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Nuge is after money. Big money, or he would already be signed.

iliketorock

May 23, 2021
I'm hoping for a 5x5 or even more unrealistic 5x4. I'm deeply saddened this is what has become of him though because I'm still in love with rookie creative offensive player Nuge, not so much safe play feed of Mcdavid/PP Nuge.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think Nuge is after money. Big money, or he would already be signed.

As he should, this is his last big money contract most likely.

I think people on here are being very optimistic quoting numbers under 6 million for him.

Reactions: McDoused

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I do. All the time. The impression I don't get is that you want to have an honest discussion.

Really? I can't even watch his post games anymore. He always seems so apathetic, never frustrated or emotional.

"The puck just didn't go in for us tonight"
"We didn't get the bounces"
"Their defense wasn't giving us any space"
Ect

He always seems to talk like he expects things to work out for him without having to put the effort in and if they don't, unlucky.

I can't think of any forwards left in the playoffs earning $5M+ that play a less intense style than RNH. Some players just aren't built for playoffs/to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's a tough call on the RNH contract and there are all kinds of permutations- 6*5 years or 5*6 years etc. etc. but in terms of the obvious goal, to build a team that can do deep into the playoffs I can't see how the allocation of $30M (admittedly just a rumor) to an RNH contract substantially aids that ambition. The real question is can you go get 2 players (using that same pot of money) and get more from them in a playoff series rather than spending that dough on just one guy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The leagues strangest 2C.
If he is a 1C, youre a bad team. He just isnt a 1 C on a playoff successful team. If he where, I could only see Ny Rangers being that team.

6,5 m$ is very expensive considering his overall hockey package.

Elite in those areas that is strengths in superstars. Hockey sense, reading the game, shot, passing, breaking up plays, etc.

But clear under average in face off, strength, boardplay, elevating the game in kmportant games. inprovement season to aeason. very very rare stale career progression. Almost none. The exact same player as he entered the league. Maybe less passer, and more goalscoring.

Maybe not even that. He scored a hattrick in one of his very first game if I recall right.
Hes not a 2c either. Hes a winger now. Hes not much younger than Toffoli or Hoffman. Why should he get more than them?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We are maybe 1 year away from Holloway being good enough to be an impact player, and maybe not even that long. He is the obvious replacement for RNH. So, why sign RNH for many years, including multiple albatross years at the end? It seems smart to get a stop-gap RNH replacement who will sign for 2 years, maybe 3.

I know it seems like the "safe" option to stick with what we have in RNH, but I really disagree that it really is so safe. Look at how these young guys step up over and over around the league, and look at how these forwards in their late 20s/early 30s can fall off a cliff and become anchors

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Really? I can't even watch his post games anymore. He always seems so apathetic, never frustrated or emotional.

"The puck just didn't go in for us tonight"
"We didn't get the bounces"
"Their defense wasn't giving us any space"
Ect

He always seems to talk like he expects things to work out for him without having to put the effort in and if they don't, unlucky.

I can't think of any forwards left in the playoffs earning $5M+ that play a less intense style than RNH. Some players just aren't built for playoffs/to win.
You mean he sounds professional?

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad