Predict McDavid’s peak point total

Highest point total?

• Total voters

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The players surrounding him are awful. So currently I can't see him cracking more than 115.
If Edmonton surrounded him with less trash. He could easily break 125.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
125ish points. Thats only a 15ish point increase from where he is now. On a terrible team with a bad PP.

The Oilers will get better and so will McDavid. With health and some luck, I wouldn't be surprised if he pushed for 130

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
For reference...

2018 - McD97 - 108
2017 - McD97 - 100
2016 - PK88 - 106
2015 - Benn - 87
2014 - Crosby - 104
2013 - MSL - 60 (48 games)
2012 - Malkin - 109
2011 - D. Sedin - 104
2010 - H. Sedin - 112
2009 - Malkin - 113
2008 - Ovechkin - 112
2007 - Crosby - 120
2006 - Jumbo - 125

I added this list to start arguing against McDavid hitting 120, but the more and more I look at it, the more and more I think it's very reasonable.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Everything would have to go right but he can hit 130. I think he can hit 50 goals and 80 assists in his peak. Maybe more goals.

He needs to be healthy, have good chemistry with his linemates (they don't even need to be elite players, just good chemistry is enough e.g., Rattie/RNH are fine), and a strong team PP system.

Nargothrand

Sep 18, 2018
Crosby would likely have flirted with 130 if healthy/no lockout, so 120-130 seems reasonable.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
and he eclipsed his point total from that year with an even worse PP.

use your head

Is the concept that scoring environments can change year to year that hard to grasp? Most players eclipsed their point totals from the year before so your point is meaningless.

He had a similar level of production, relative to the league, the year before with a better than average PP. Saying that the "if only the PP was better, he would have had more points" has no foundation. Arguing over hypothetical speculation is one of the most irritating things on HF.

I could care less about the PP or the quality of the team, great players produce regardless. The fact that he did not separate himself from the pack last year until after the Oilers were out of the playoffs is as meaningful as the narrative about the PP and his team. Assumptions that he had to have been better than the previous year because that is normal development also falls into the same category.

He should have plenty of opportunities to show that he is better than what he showed last year and there should be no excuses if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Is the concept that scoring environments can change year to year that hard to grasp? Most players eclipsed their point totals from the year before so your point is meaningless.

He had a similar level of production, relative to the league, the year before with a better than average PP. Saying that the "if only the PP was better, he would have had more points" has no foundation. Arguing over hypothetical speculation is one of the most irritating things on HF.

I could care less about the PP or the quality of the team, great players produce regardless. The fact that he did not separate himself from the pack last year until after the Oilers were out of the playoffs is as meaningful as the narrative about the PP and his team. Assumptions that he had to have been better than the previous year because that is normal development also falls into the same category.

He should have plenty of opportunities to show that he is better than what he showed last year and there should be no excuses if he doesn't.
Your first paragraph is useless because yes his own scoring environment changed, meaning his PP got worse, he was sick early on, and he still ended winning the Art Ross. I could care less about the strength of the win relative to the field.

This thread is about predicting point peak totals for CM, not scoring environments or strength of Art Ross wins.

Does it make sense to bring up 2 years old PP pertaining to his last season point total? No because it is meaningless since it has no bearing on his current PP. Is the concept that PPs could change year to year that hard to grasp? You literally witnessed it first-hand how awful his PP was this year and didn’t fail to bring up how his PP was better the year before.

If anything, it should let you know that with a competent PP as he enters his prime, his scoring total will only go up. He won the Art Ross with all of these circumstances, and that somehow doesn’t convince you that his point total will increase? You don’t think he works hard during the summer to improve?

Crosby literally jumped from 33 goals to 51, and we are some how confused whether or not CM surpass his point total set last year even by 2-3 points.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Does it make sense to bring up 2 years old PP pertaining to his last season point total? No because it is meaningless since it has no bearing on his current PP. Is the concept that PPs could change year to year that hard to grasp? You literally witnessed it first-hand how awful his PP was this year and didn’t fail to bring up how his PP was better the year before.

Again, you are making the assumption that a better PP means more overall points when that wasn't the case two years ago. You are speculating rather than stating any kind of fact.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Your first paragraph is useless because yes his own scoring environment changed, meaning his PP got worse, he was sick early on, and he still ended winning the Art Ross. I could care less about the strength of the win relative to the field.

Again, if you want to try to put context on his season to say he could have done better, I would counter with the fact he was in 5th to 10th place in Art Ross scoring for most of the year until the Oilers were eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe he stays in that 5th place range if the Oilers are still fighting for a playoff spot.

His numbers speak for themselves, and if he was better than his 108 points and/or an average Art Ross win, he should have lots of opportunity to show it.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If anything, it should let you know that with a competent PP as he enters his prime, his scoring total will only go up. He won the Art Ross with all of these circumstances, and that somehow doesn’t convince you that his point total will increase? You don’t think he works hard during the summer to improve?

Crosby literally jumped from 33 goals to 51, and we are some how confused whether or not CM surpass his point total set last year even by 2-3 points.

Who the hell knows how he will develop? All I was doing was pointing out the fallacy of saying that he improved his production last year when, relative to the league, he did not. That shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad