Predict Laine's first Rocket Richard win

What year?

• Total voters

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Could be this year, maybe. People compare his shot to Ovi but I think it’s a lot more accurate. Laine picks his shot and is a better sniper, Ovi is a machine gunner that scores with repetition. Either way it’s just a matter of time.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Never. He's going to be the Dany Heatley of this generation. Jets/ Thrashers have produced some elite goal scorers in the past 20 years. Kovalchuk, Laine, Heatley being the cream of the crop.

Reactions: FishManSam

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think he wins it this next season. The reports seem rather positive this time around. And even last season when he "struggled" and "started slow" he scored 44.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Why? Just to get votes by you know who?

Well tbh it doesn’t matter, all opinions matter here. Just because you(or even I, as I believe he will get more than a few in his career with his scoring skills) disagree with them doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have the right to broadcast their opinion.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I would pick this year but everything seems to indicate another year of ELL (just listened to Dreger's interview), which would mean second line minutes/secondary scoring position in a dysfunctional line. No matter how good one is, if you're not in the primary role, getting at least 19-20 minutes per game, the odds for winning (pretty much any) hardware are slim, apart from maybe Calder. So here's to hoping Roslovic is ready to step up. Though even if he was, it would probably take an injury to "earn" that chance in the 2nd line. So considering the circumstances and not having the crystal ball, I think i'll just abstain the vote.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I said 4+. Could be never
Not denying he has the talent to win - but I think Ovechkin has at least 1 more in him. And McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, Ovechkin and others are all threats, so no guarantee

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Laine hasn't had an opportunity to play top line minutes yet. In his rookie season he played on the 2nd pp unit and was still on pace to reach the 40 mark had he not missed 9 games.

Only thing preventing him from winning it this year will be injury or ice-time.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I chose within 2 years. He already came close last year with very limited mins. 16+ on average. It wouldn't take much for him to win it with a bit more usage. Plus he is now 20, and almost assuredly is going to be better in his 20's.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Could be this season, but I wouldn't be too comfortable betting on him over Ovechkin quite yet or a healthy Matthews. He'll likely win one within the next 3 seasons though.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Only thing preventing him from winning it this year will be injury or ice-time.

that, and the fact that there are equal or better goalscorers than Patrik Laine, any of whom could win it in a given season going forward.

Reactions: DanM

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
you should add the option "He never wins one".
I kind of figured that's what the "18-19" option was for as I thought the poll was based on age at first look.

Unless the Finnish super fans plan on inventing a time machine.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Don't think Laine is ever winning the rocket. His skating is garbage and it'll very much limit any improvements. Very telling how Maurice does not have him on the top line again. He knows Laine has no business being in a top-line role.

Pretty sad how such a garbage skater can be a better goal score than Auston Matthews so far in his career.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad