Post-Game Talk: Predators @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Until Emelin can stop Kreider, that defense is nothing to me. I also think Gilbert is nothing special/not good, and Petry is highly overrated. Highly. Markov is getting old. Didnt stop us last year. Gonchar old.

Congrats you have Subban...we have Yandle

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Until Emelin can stop Kreider, that defense is nothing to me. I also think Gilbert is nothing special/not good, and Petry is highly overrated. Highly. Markov is getting old. Didnt stop us last year. Gonchar old.

Congrats you have Subban...we have Yandle

I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched last years series and say 1.) Their defense is as good or even close and 2.) With Price in net they would have won.

The Rangers thoroughly outplayed that team. They marginalized Subban to the point he looked meh, he had to hang back and stop Hagelin and Kreider from skating all over them. The fact it even went 6 games was amazing to me. Now this year is obviously a different story as Price is red hot but that team has a lot of work to do.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not big on putting down other teams when the Rangers still have faults of their own...Montreal has a pretty good defense I think. Subban is good, Beulieau has potential and is getting better even if I can't spell his name, Markov is old but can still move the puck well, Gonchar is meh, Emelin is meh, Gilbert is meh, Weaver is meh, Petry is a maybe good, but overall as a group I think they're solid and you can get some good play out of guys like Gilbert and Weaver sometimes.

I mean, Girardi ain't all hot stuff, Boyle is old, Staal and Klein could be considered not good by fancy stats...

I like the Rangers D better with the addition of Yandle cuz it really gives them two guys who are real good (McDonagh and Yandle), another guy who moves the puck well (Boyle), a real solid defense guy who is good with the puck in his own end (Staal), and two generally other solid guys though the opinions are split on Girardi

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched last years series and say 1.) Their defense is as good or even close and 2.) With Price in net they would have won.

The Rangers thoroughly outplayed that team. They marginalized Subban to the point he looked meh, he had to hang back and stop Hagelin and Kreider from skating all over them. The fact it even went 6 games was amazing to me. Now this year is obviously a different story as Price is red hot but that team has a lot of work to do.

Agree with that all and its not like Tokarski wasn't good. Sure there were a couple of goals Price would have stopped, but not enough to change the series IMO.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Glass is going to end up being the only guy on the roster to not score the entire year.

Well i guess talbot and lundqvist too if that makes him feel better :sarcasm:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I feel like J.T. Miller consistently screws up puck possession. I saw a good 5 or 6. None of them were egregious but I could see why AV gets annoyed because JT is just so consistent about small errors that result in turning it over.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I feel like J.T. Miller consistently screws up puck possession. I saw a good 5 or 6. None of them were egregious but I could see why AV gets annoyed because JT is just so consistent about small errors that result in turning it over.

I don't know, I seem to recall that line cycling very well, and the numbers bear that out. He does have some silly giveaways now and again, but not much more than any young player IMO, and not nearly enough that they overshadow the good he does.

I think JT is really coming into his own on this line. He's been good on the boards and not afraid to charge the net with the puck. Good things happen when he plays like that.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Miller is 21.

I was maybe good at two things at that age.

Eating. Sleeping.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I believe Miller is routinely the top forward in possession stats each game.

He makes some boneheaded plays but honestly they are few and far between now compared to even as recent as the beginning of this season.

He's finally putting it together and he's an incredibly effective player. I think him emerging was also a contributing factor in letting Duke go in that trade.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
With Nashville losing again, The rangers can now over take 1st in the league if they win their games in hand. They would have to leap frog MTL who's up by 3 points but we have a game in hand.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What I love, is the fact that there is such a small difference between the top TOI guys and the bottom TOI guys on defense.

Hopefully this will be a big advantage. But when it matters the most, you will want your top Ds to play a little more, at least 24 minutes a night. Look at the last 6 teams to win a cup, a lot of those teams have some real heavy loggers ...

I've never really seen a team have a big advantage from having depth on D. Just sayin, it's usually the opposite, ie teams that really rides a few guys on defense that are successful. Will be interesting to see how we can benefit from our depth on the blueline.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There is no reason to touch the Hayes line. That line has essentially turned into what the Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello line was for this team last year.

Miller plays a pretty big role in making that line work.

In theory, I almost always find myself prefering to see Miller on a line over Hagelin. Miller is just stronger on the circle.

I am kinda excited to see a line of Miller-Hayes-Buchnevich down the road. Could become pretty strong down the line. I do however think it makes more sense to mold Miller into a LW rather than a RW down the low. It's easier for him to distribute the puck from the left side, and he will never become that type that bangs home enough pucks to benefit from having his stick on the inside.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hopefully this will be a big advantage. But when it matters the most, you will want your top Ds to play a little more, at least 24 minutes a night. Look at the last 6 teams to win a cup, a lot of those teams have some real heavy loggers ...

I've never really seen a team have a big advantage from having depth on D. Just sayin, it's usually the opposite, ie teams that really rides a few guys on defense that are successful. Will be interesting to see how we can benefit from our depth on the blueline.

That might be because most teams don't have Yandle/Klein as their 3rd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad