Post-Game Talk: Predators @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
That's not bad at all, considering there are a few black holes on the team.

The Rangers generating shots has never been a problem, and won't be one at all for the forseeable future.

Them suppressing shots was a problem last year (even with the best shot suppressing player in the league, Anton Stralman), and still is this year.

I'm concerned about that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers generating shots has never been a problem, and won't be one at all for the forseeable future.

Them suppressing shots was a problem last year (even with the best shot suppressing player in the league, Anton Stralman), and still is this year.

IMO really depends on the kind of shots. If we accept that they're not going to be a great shot suppressing team, I think keeping the shots allowed to being mostly from the outside is the next best thing they can do, and when they play well that usuallllllly is how they manage it. I know it's still considered "bad" but I'll take shots from the oustide all day compared to allowing fewer shots but more from top scoring areas.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The puck-moving ability from the defense last night was outstanding. Nashville pressured alot, but they made smart quick plays to get the puck out of the zone and up the ice. Yandle was such a joy to watch.

Also, who is a better 4C than Dom Moore? He's been having such a quietly great year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Cupcake schedule/not impressed.

Seriously though best game they've played in a month.

Nashville is definitely part of the cupcake schedule. We should only play Nashville away. Having a home game against them is an unfair advantage that will come back to bite us. Islander fans :shakehead

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
you'd hope sheppard would take glass' spot but one can't be to sure

wouldnt' be shocked at all to see AV sit miller

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yandle was very good. As the game went on his shifts went from making the safe play to controlling the play all over the place. His +/- is going to change and change fast in the right direction on this team.

God I hope Sheppard is in next game for Glass

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers are 4th in the league in shots per game.

They've averaged 36 SOG a game in their last 10.........only one game they had less than 30 shots.

That is amazing considering the fact that the phrase "Shoots... wide..." is a common occurence during Ranger broadcasts

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That is amazing considering the fact that the phrase "Shoots... wide..." is a common occurence during Ranger broadcasts

It's hard to tell but some of those "shoots...wide!" calls might actually be saves off the shoulder or blocker or whatever. I feel like I've definitely seen some shots that appear to have changed direction at the goalie been called as shots that missed the net because at full speed it can be hard to tell if it's a clean miss or the goalie deflected it away

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How many times does Joe say "that one just missed"

"It's a power play goal"
"That one just missed"
"Save by Richter"
"Rangers win"

Those are the 4 phrases that Sam Rosen must be famous for. The 3rd one he doesn't use anymore, but man, I remember a game in 1994 against the Canucks in the final, where he screamed: "Save by Richter, another save by Richter, and another save by Richter and another save by Richter! 4 saves by Mike Richter"

That is one of the most memorable Sam Rosen moments for me.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I appreciate your analyses, I really do, but I need to ask: do you do them for other teams in the league too? The things you bring to the table here are interesting, but they seem like things that prevent the Rangers from being a "perfect team" as opposed to being a really good one. I would imagine that every single team has a similar weakness.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I appreciate your analyses, I really do, but I need to ask: do you do them for other teams in the league too? The things you bring to the table here are interesting, but they seem like things that prevent the Rangers from being a "perfect team" as opposed to being a really good one. I would imagine that every single team has a similar weakness.

Well yeah..........I do research on other teams. And all teams do have flaws. But how constructive is it to discuss other teams and their flaws on the Rangers' board, exactly?

I put a lot of stock in possession metrics, and the fact that we're below average in half of what makes up possession would obviously worry me.

You probably won't want to hear why we're such a bad suppressing team anyway.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Well yeah..........I do research on other teams. And all teams do have flaws. But how constructive is it to discuss other teams and their flaws on the Rangers' board, exactly?

I put a lot of stock in possession metrics, and the fact that we're below average in half of what makes up possession would obviously worry me.

You probably won't want to hear why we're such a bad suppressing team anyway.

I'm not saying that it would be constructive, I'm more interested in whether or not these things should be "of concern". I've been watching this game for a long time and I don't see much to be "concerned" about. I see a team that is incredibly well balanced from top to bottom that can without a doubt compete with te best in the NHL.

Whether or not they win the Cup will boil down to luck (injuries, bounces, penalty calls, etc.) as it almost always does.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm not saying that it would be constructive, I'm more interested in whether or not these things should be "of concern". I've been watching this game for a long time and I don't see much to be "concerned" about. I see a team that is incredibly well balanced from top to bottom that can without a doubt compete with te best in the NHL.

Whether or not they win the Cup will boil down to luck (injuries, bounces, penalty calls, etc.) as it almost always does.

I DO think this team is really good...........I never said otherwise. However, they're painfully average at one of the most important parts of the game.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That's because God love him mine richter was a rebound machine with that stand up style of his. Used to let pucks just bounce off his pads over and over.

Fav goalie of all time along with Hasek though

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I'm not concerned at all since most of the shots we are seeing against us seem to be coming from outside prime scoring areas. Shoot all day from the end boards. Let them get 100 shots against from crap areas.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Me when I realized Tanner Glass is on a two-game point scoring streak.

hze5uzb42itrgtfsckne.gif

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I DO think this team is really good...........I never said otherwise. However, they're painfully average at one of the most important parts of the game.

It probably seems like I quote you ad-nauseum.

I am a numbers guy at work, pretty much everywhere and have watched and/or play hockey for the better part of 35 years. I am interested in using the advanced stats to supplement/compliment what I observe. So you know I am not a stalker lol.....

What site do you find best represents the advance stats crowd or are there several?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
It probably seems like I quote you ad-nauseum.

I am a numbers guy at work, pretty much everywhere and have watched and/or play hockey for the better part of 35 years. I am interested in using the advanced stats to supplement/compliment what I observe. So you know I am not a stalker lol.....

What site do you find best represents the advance stats crowd or are there several?

Best represents the crowd? What do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad