Predators playing in World Championships 2014? [MOD Warning #205]

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
One of the best parts of the tournament is the power rankings. Some of them don't make much sense, but some are pretty funny. Here's the latest:

1. Russia: Sochi Bear gently strokes Znarok’s moustache
2. Canada: Ellis has left the building
3. Sweden: On the bright side, Chris Kunitz didn’t score
4. United States: Popeye Jones holds the Mavs’ single-game rebounding record
5. Belarus: We don’t need no stinkin’ Corsi
6. France: All games should be decided by a skills competition
7. Latvia: We shot down the eagle, but the bear bit us
8. Czech Republic: Sobotka never sleeps
9. Norway: Clearly, Montreal is more fun than Minsk
10. Slovakia: Even Buffon couldn’t have stopped us
11. Denmark: Despite our liberal nudity laws, Jagr couldn’t undress Nielsen
12. Finland: Can we use Moomins?
13. Switzerland: Six goals! But this is very wasteful...
14. Germany: If you never stop working hard, you too can lose four straight
15. Italy: Thank you for calling the Roman Empire. We are now closed.
16. Kazakhstan: Hey, we once beat Thailand 52-1

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Jarnkrok has been garbage. 0 points while Klasen (who didnt get a fair chance in nashville under trotz) has been a wizard. They play on the same line also.

Never understood why Klasen got the snub. He has playing very well in AHL, but only got like 2 NHL games. Ironically Jarnkrok (the lesser of the two players) has a spot on nashville

Linus, is that you? :laugh:

meyhem

Dec 16, 2010
I've seen Linus Klasen these last few years(since he arrived in Luleå in SHL). He has improved his entire game. Used to be a lazy forward with talent, but has now improved his work ethic a lot. Has also added more speed and grit to his game. At the end of this season it was fun to compare Linus Omark and Klasen, when Omark returned for a few games. Omark who is kind of a "borderline NHL player" was not even close to Klasen in comparison. It doesn't matter if you look at speed, shot, playmaking ability, defence. Klasen beats him on all points. Sucks seeing him leave for Switzerland instead of NHL(would prefer him to stay in SHL, but I guess he wants to make some money).

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Jones, Josi, Ellis, & Eckholm are all in the top 10 scoring dmen in the tourney. Not a bad showing for the Preds. I suppose Housley has had some success since arriving last year. BTW, Jones (9) and Josi (6) are 1 & 2 respectively.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Jones, Josi, Ellis, & Eckholm are all in the top 10 scoring dmen in the tourney. Not a bad showing for the Preds. I suppose Housley has had some success since arriving last year. BTW, Jones (9) and Josi (6) are 1 & 2 respectively.
That's actually really impressive when you consider our top defenseman isn't even in the tourny.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Klasen is way better than Jarnkrok. Why is this so hard to see? Ask any swedish fan.

Id trust the 30 GMs in the NHL who haven't seen fit to bring him back to the league over the opinions of Swedish fans.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so the Swiss, who were already eliminated, beat Latvia, eliminating them and allowing Finland to advance to the quarters..

gotta say I would love to see Rinne steal the game and send Canada packing

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
dont misconstrue what I said about the Worlds being a "throwaway tournament"… Im still rooting for the USA and a loss to Latvia is certainly not a good thing but its also not like we lost to Slovenia or Denmark (just ask the Swiss about the Latvians from the Olympics)…. but if you think this Team USA is in any way comparable to the team that played at Sochi I just don't know what to say…

As I said before, in an Olympic year, when the best players in the world are either still playing in the SC playoffs or declined invites because they see the tournament as superfluous as I do, the results don't mean much in terms of which country actually has the best team, or coach, and to extrapolate how Team USA does with Laviolette as coach to how the Predators are going to do with Laviolette as coach is just too much of a stretch.

edit: PS Jones now Team USA'a leading scorer 3G 4A in 5 games. He's also a +4 best on the team.. Trouba and Dekeyser, two other NHL defensemen are -5 and -4 respectively

Many experts agree regarding the WC ... it's important to the Europeans. Americans pretty much could not care less about the WC ... especially when the Olympics are in the same year. And the top players were playing in the SC Playoffs rather than the WCs. The WC teams are significantly weaker than the Olympic teams.

I'd agree ... pretty insignificant tournament

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Many experts agree regarding the WC ... it's important to the Europeans. Americans pretty much could not care less about the WC ... especially when the Olympics are in the same year. And the top players were playing in the SC Playoffs rather than the WCs. The WC teams are significantly weaker than the Olympic teams.

I'd agree ... pretty insignificant tournament

The talent level certainly isn't the same as the Olympics. But Preds playing in it are competing against their peers. Jones, Ellis, Eckholm, and Smith are not All-Stars in the NHL. Yet they are standing out among players with similar professional experience. Granted Josi and Rinne are expected to be dominant players at this tournament. But it's encouraging to see our young guys excelling. In a few years our budding stars will be playing in the Olympics against the best. This is just a teaser. And it is important to their development.

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
I see now. Nelson got a misconduct for a snow shower on the Czech goalie and Adelkaker with a game misconduct for a very dangerous hit.

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
I hope they go ahead and bow out so everyone can get back home and start focusing on Preds hockey.

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
To get the 2nd seed in their group is pretty good and about the ceiling for this roster, youngest in the tournament (not counting Thomas, who is ancient) Smith and Jones had a very good tournament too. Rooting for Pekka and the Finns now.

Edit: as i type that, USA scores twice to make it 4-3 and a game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00