GAME DAY: Predators at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
GAME DAY: Predators at Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Nashville Predators
7 P.M., Monday, Scotiabank Arena
TV: Sportsnet RADIO: TSN 1050

THE BIG MATCH-UP
G Pekka Rinne vs. G Michael Hutchinson
This will be a different animal for newcomer Hutchinson and the Leafs than the road weary Canucks for Toronto, with the Preds owning first place in the Central Division before the Jets played Sunday and coming off a 4-1 win in Montreal. Rinne has struggled a bit of late, doesn’t have great career numbers against the Leafs and let Juuse Saros have the start on Saturday.
KEYS TO THE GAME
1. STOPPING SUBBAN
In his sixth game since missing 19 with an upper body injury, defenceman P.K. Subban had a couple of assists and played just under 15 minutes. He’ll be primed for the hometown stage and not be fazed by the usual verbal abuse he gets here from his days with the visiting Canadiens.
2. A TUNESMITH
Craig Smith’s two goals against the Habs increased his point streak to five games and he’s scored in three straight for Nashville. Last year’s Presidents’ Trophy winners keep finding their way offensively despite injuries.
3. HEAVY HITTERS
Toronto gets another challenge from a team on the heavier side, even though both clubs rank low in league hits. But if the Leafs can attack with the same speed as Saturday, as well as get the puck out of harm’s way quickly, it can counter the Preds’ strengths.
4. PLAY IT AGAIN?
The Leafs have have a record of 5-1 against the Preds the past three seasons and don’t think coach Peter Laviolette doesn’t keep track. If Nashville has an obvious concern, it’s their poorly ranked power play, 0-for-2 on Saturday.
5. THIRD IS THE WORD
Both these teams are at the top of the league with wins when leading after two periods, Nashville at 21, tied with Tampa Bay, Toronto one behind.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Andreas Johnsson John Tavares Mitch Marner
Patrick Marleau Auston Matthews William Nylander
Connor Brown Nazem Kadri Kasperi Kapanen
Par Lindholm Frederick Gauthier Trevor Moore
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott Igor Ozhiganov
GOALIES
Michael Hutchinson
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Sick Bay
G Frederik Andersen (groin)
G Garret Sparks (concussion)
LW Zach Hyman (ankle)
RW Tyler Ennis (ankle)
PREDATORS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Ryan Hartman Ryan Johansen Viktor Arvidsson
Kevin Fiala Calle Jarnkrok Craig Smith
Miikka Salomaki Nick Bonino Austin Watson
Phil Di Giuseppe Frederick Gaudreau Rocco Grimaldi
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Roman Josi Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm P.K. Subban
Dan Hamhuis Anthony Bitetto
GOALIES
Pekka Rinne
Juuse Saros
SICK BAY
Filip Forsberg (upper body)
Colton Sissons (lower body)
Yannick Weber (undisclosed)
Kyle Turris (lower body)
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 22.9% (8th)
Nashville 14.6% (28th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 80.4% (15th)
Nashville 81.5% (10th)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The Maple Leafs have once again recalled goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo from the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies on an emergency basis, a good indication he'll backup Monday night against the Nashville Predators. Fredrick Andersen (groin) and Garret Spark (concussion) are progressing, but not yet ready to return to game action. Kaskisuo has a 4-6 record this season with a .868 save

Last edited:

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
The Maple Leafs have once again recalled goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo from the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies on an emergency basis, a good indication he'll backup Monday night against the Nashville Predators. Michael Hutchinson (groin) and Garret Spark (concussion) are progressing, but not yet ready to return to game action. Kaskisuo has a 4-6 record this season with a .868 save

I didn't know that Michael Hutchinson also has a groin issue, hahaha. I'm sure that was just an oversight on your part as you meant Freddy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hopefulyl hutch can have another solid showing and the boys give him the proper defensive focus and energy in front of him.

Should be a fun one!

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Plug Marleau back playing with Matthews again? In before another Matthews slump, he plays awful while that plug Marleau is his winger. Why doesnt Babcock realize that Marleau at best a 3rd or 4th liner at this point in career? I hope he just retires with some dignity after this year instead of eating up cap space with his absurd contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Theres no skate today so those lines mean nothing. Its someones guess.

I hope those lines are wrong. Johnsson has been great with Matthews and every time I see Marleau on Matthews' wing I do this.

Plug Marleau back playing with Matthews again? In before another Matthews slump, he plays awful while that plug Marleau is his winger. Why doesnt Babcock realize that Marleau at best a 3rd or 4th liner at this point in career? I hope he just retires with some dignity after this year instead of eating up cap space with his absurd contract.

Reactions: JohnnyT91

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Paul Hendrick@HennyTweets
Special teams stat at the midway point finds Toronto as the NHL’s least penalized team averaging just 6.7 minutes per game. The Leafs also lead the league with the fewest power play opportunities at 109 through 41 games. #Leafsforever
8:42 AM - Jan 7, 2019

Leafs have super high skill but NHL cannot put that Canadian team on the power play
NHL needs big fat US contract in the face of an indifferent market - you try selling the Calgary Flames
Leafs doing well because of their power-play not a selling feature, if US networks have their say
The fact is that the NHL is an American league ingrained in Canadian culture, desperately trying to not be as gate driven as it is, you can figure it out, but I will not name names

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
One great thing about this team is that we have so much forward depth that if someone gets hurt, we know the next man up can move into the top 6 seamlessly. It gives me some peace of mind.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If Andersen/sparks aren't ready by next thursday, I wonder if Kask actually starts a NHL game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Andersen/sparks aren't ready by next thursday, I wonder if Kask actually starts a NHL game.
I would think the Friday against the Panthers would be the earliest he could get a start.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

You realize if he retires we still have the cap hit right? Also why would he turn down 6 million dollars? He has a complete no movement clause, he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad