Predators Hockey Discussion II

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I have been looking for anyone else to say something about this, but haven't found anything else, so who knows if this is really true.

I mean, 2003 was one of the best drafts ever, so it makes sense the 2023 draft that is supposed to be a good, deep draft could also be held in Nashville. 😏

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Dont they usually announce draft host sites more than a year in advance? Seems like youd need a lot of time to plan.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Let's look at the central pre-FA Day.

Arizona sucks, Chicago is saying 'Hold my malort', The Mild might have Putin/visa issues, Jets might blow it up with a bad start, Blues are trading Tarasenko. That might mean the playoff spots in the central are a lock. If Chicago and AZ suck as bad as we think, mathematically, Central teams should get more pts. Unless the Pacific sucks just as bad; I'm looking at you Calgary, Golden Nuggets, Kraken, I expect the President's Trophy to be in the central.

(Unless the Pacific signs ALL TJE TALENT!!!!!!!!!!)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I was looking at the roster today, assuming we're going to maybe add another middle 6 forward (on a 1 year?), and can't help but scratch my head on how this whole retool on the fly thing is going to work if our aspiration is to ever be a top level squad for a few years any time soon. My main concerns are at C. It seems our F depth is looking pretty decent but when I look at our C depth on the roster and in the system it just seems like it could crumble at any moment with no clear path to replenishment. This would kind of firmly put us right back to where we were before the Joey/Subban trade and many years prior.

Joey is going to be 30 this year.
Duchene will be 32 by end of season. (Is he even a center?)
Granlund will be 31 by end of season. (Is he supposed to be a center?)
*I'm not even worried about players like Sissons but even he is going to be 29 this year which kind of surprises me.

So once this 'youth movement' matures on the wings then what are we supposed to do about the middle when these guys are approaching 33-35 years old and just don't have the juice anymore?

I'm also ignoring the D for now.

Talk me off the ledge?

• Haha
Reactions: weeze

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I was looking at the roster today, assuming we're going to maybe add another middle 6 forward (on a 1 year?), and can't help but scratch my head on how this whole retool on the fly thing is going to work if our aspiration is to ever be a top level squad for a few years any time soon. My main concerns are at C. It seems our F depth is looking pretty decent but when I look at our C depth on the roster and in the system it just seems like it could crumble at any moment with no clear path to replenishment. This would kind of firmly put us right back to where we were before the Joey/Subban trade and many years prior.

*I'm not even worried about players like Sissons but even he is going to be 29 this year which kind of surprises me.

So once this 'youth movement' matures on the wings then what are we supposed to do about the middle when these guys are approaching 33-35 years old and just don't have the juice anymore?

Talk me off the ledge?
Why are you walking up to the ledge about something that might or might not be a problem 3-5 years from now?

Get through this off-season, enjoy watching the young guys develop more and the Vets try to reach their personal bests again when the season starts.

Reactions: hido and weeze

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Talk me off the ledge?
The reality is that the retool somehow became a "last hurrah." If we run into injury problems, if our vet forwards fall off the production cliff, well...we'll get that extended suckitude rebuild and top 5 pick fest some posters have been clamouring for.

Reactions: LCPreds

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
The reality is that the retool somehow became a "last hurrah." If we run into injury problems, if our vet forwards fall off the production cliff, well...we'll get that extended suckitude rebuild and top 5 pick fest some posters have been clamouring for.
Most teams can say that about their Vets. Heck even their young guys can suck just as much as the Vets. Goalies can suck too. Its the word "extended" that is the real unknown. For how long will they suck is the question.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Why are you walking up to the ledge about something that might or might not be a problem 3-5 years from now?

Lol isn't that the point of having a message board discussion forum? It's an obvious likely problem here. Why not discuss it? This could actually materialize as a problem either this year or next in all likelihood. That is not far fetched at all.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Talk me off the ledge?
Given that we've coped with guys like Granlund at C, I think we can still point to Tomasino as a legit C prospect. ;)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It seems we’ve essentially done this quick retool in hopes of opening a Cup window with our current big name players. If that doesn’t work out then we essentially hope that one or two of Glass, Svechkov, Parsinnen, or someone else develop into top six options by the time our current center corps falls off. Outside of that we’ll have money to go after a big fish free agent again in 3-4 years or we can always hit the trade market. Worst case scenario we suck and get a high draft pick.

I have some quibbles about some of what we’ve done but I think we are definitely in a much better position in both the near term and long term than we were after the 19-20 season so I think you could call the retool a success in that regard.

Reactions: Gh24

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Lol isn't that the point of having a message board discussion forum? It's an obvious likely problem here. Why not discuss it? This could actually materialize as a problem either this year or next in all likelihood. That is not far fetched at all.
You said you needed to be talked back from the ledge. I agree it’s a message board and it’s for discussion. I even agree that it could be a potential problem in a few years. There’s no need to walk up to the ledge because of it though, be at peace.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Strome would have been a fool to pick us over Washington even if we were paying him substantially more. He gets to take the Backstrom role for a season on a team that always scores a lot versus here where he wouldn't have any clearly defined role. He can show out for a year on the Caps and then go get his big dollars from some other team.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Strome would have been a fool to pick us over Washington even if we were paying him substantially more. He gets to take the Backstrom role for a season on a team that always scores a lot versus here where he wouldn't have any clearly defined role. He can show out for a year on the Caps and then go get his big dollars from some other team.
Just saying in general, not so much with Strome.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Poile trades the entire HERD line for 2 forwards. This would be my nightmare
Those two better be good. Really good. Well if it's your nightmare I assume it's for a rentals like Miller and Horvat who provide value for one season and then bolts :laugh:

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Those two better be good. Really good. Well if it's your nightmare I assume it's for a rentals like Miller and Horvat who provide value for one season and then bolts :laugh:
I hear Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli might be available! :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think Trenin+ will be traded for a top 6. Statistically, McCarron is getting similar stats to Trenin for quiet possibly 1/3rd the price. Financially, I can see it...but penny wise, pound foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad