Predators Hockey Discussion II

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Yeah I’d consider Killorn for free because he did have a good regular season last year but I’m not giving up Tolvanen and especially not Tolvanen+ for him.
Tolvanen is not a player i want this team to give up on. When he finds his shot at the NHL level he will be a tarasenko esque player. He checks and goes to the hard areas. I like his game a ton and would like thisn team to be as patient as possible with him to develop his offense

Last edited:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tolvanen is not a player i want this team to give up on. When he finds his shot at the NHL level he will be a tarasenko esque player. He checks and goes to the hard areas. I like his game a ton and would like thisn team to be as patient as possible with him to develop his offense

I like Tolvanen as well, however, he was expected to be an overall flawed player that could snipe. He was supposed to be a weapon on the PP. He had one PP goal last year after leading the team in PPGs in 20-21. I applaud the team for being patient with him, but next year is crucial. He needs to produce at a higher level consistently.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I like Tolvanen as well, however, he was expected to be an overall flawed player that could snipe. He was supposed to be a weapon on the PP. He had one PP goal last year after leading the team in PPGs in 20-21. I applaud the team for being patient with him, but next year is crucial. He needs to produce at a higher level consistently.
Karl Taylor fixed most of Tolvanen’s “flaws” while he was in Milwaukee. He’s turned into a solid two way player that can finish his checks. Unfortunately he lost his accuracy on that wicked snipe in the process. Hopefully he’s focused on finding that part of his game again this off-season.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Tolvanen also wasn't given many PP1 opportunities last year as compared to 20-21. The entire PP2 stunk, so hard to say whether his lack of performance is due to his regression, or the lack of supporting talent on PP2, or some combination thereof. In any case, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but he clearly needs to improve.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Tolvanen also wasn't given many PP1 opportunities last year as compared to 20-21. The entire PP2 stunk, so hard to say whether his lack of performance is due to his regression, or the lack of supporting talent on PP2, or some combination thereof. In any case, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but he clearly needs to improve.
No one is given, opportunities, you have to earn them and he's not good enough to take time from Duchene, Forsberg, Johansen or Granlund.

33 minutes more powerplay time than Tomasino yet produced 3 less points.

I'd guess this year, Jeannot and Tomasino get more minutes than Tolvanen.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
No one is given, opportunities, you have to earn them and he's not good enough to take time from Duchene, Forsberg, Johansen or Granlund.

No disagreement here - my point is only that his decline in performance is multi-faceted. But he needs to create and convert on ES opportunities to get back on the PP. If that doesn't happen, he seems like an interesting trade prospect that someone would take a shot on

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
To be honest, the way Tolvanen skated, backchecked, and played the body... I think the thing we're all overlooking here is that he somehow turned into a player that is actually worth having in the lineup regardless of his scoring! At $1.45M on the 4th line, he's still a positive asset. Even if he just got 10 goals again.

I can't say I ever imagined that happening. But it did. At this point, any extra goals he scores have become a bonus.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014

Those 3 could make a good PP2

Reactions: cool beans

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
To be honest, the way Tolvanen skated, backchecked, and played the body... I think the thing we're all overlooking here is that he somehow turned into a player that is actually worth having in the lineup regardless of his scoring! At $1.45M on the 4th line, he's still a positive asset. Even if he just got 10 goals again.

I can't say I ever imagined that happening. But it did. At this point, any extra goals he scores have become a bonus.

I was looking at him again this morning. It's also easy to forget the guy has basically only played 1.5 seasons worth of games. He's got a long ways to go before he is finished reaching his development curve. I mean Forsberg just had his career year possibly in year 8. Duchene and Josi in similar boats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This. Reminds me a lot of how Bemstrom is perceived up here. "He was supposed to be a sniper and he hasn't been, therefore OMG BUST TRADE HIM TRADE HIM".

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Is he actually a 10 goal scorer playing 4th line minutes though? How much of his limited production this season was when playing with Johansen or on the PP (I know the latter, it was 1 PPG, 6 PPP)? McCarron scored 7 goals playing actual 4th line minutes (in only 51 games), and is better at the two-way/bottom 6 stuff than Tolvanen is. Ditto with Luff, who scored 3 goals (in 23 games). It's great he's rounded out his game, but if he's going to be on the 4th line, I'd rather go with actual 4th liners and free up the roster/power play spot for someone else who may actually be an NHL-level scorer.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Is he actually a 10 goal scorer playing 4th line minutes though? How much of his limited production this season was when playing with Johansen or on the PP (I know the latter, it was 1 PPG, 6 PPP)? McCarron scored 7 goals playing actual 4th line minutes (in only 51 games), and is better at the two-way/bottom 6 stuff than Tolvanen is. Ditto with Luff, who scored 3 goals (in 23 games). It's great he's rounded out his game, but if he's going to be on the 4th line, I'd rather go with actual 4th liners and free up the roster/power play spot for someone else who may actually be an NHL-level scorer.
Personally, I hope they give him another year, maybe two, to see if he gets his shot back. He’s only 23 and the organization has been really working with him to become a solid two way player (which he has accomplished). Now that he’s accomplished what the organization wanted he can spend the majority of his time focusing on his shot again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Uh, I think you missed the point. Fine, call it 5 goals. Whatever. Yes, I think he's a good 4th line player even with 5 goals. He is better than Matt Luff as an "actual 4th liner". He's better at hockey, period.

And also this is the modern NHL. There is attrition and there are hybrid line roles that don't have to fit into past stereotypes. Go ahead and get your better 2nd line scoring winger, yes, we are all praying that Poile is able to do that. Then when that guy or somebody else in the top-6 gets hurt... who do you slide up to fill that spot? Matt Luff? And does the 4th line just have to be some mixed bag of borderline banger/energy/toughguys? Or can it do something more sometimes? If Tolvanen and Glass/Novak are on our "4th line", maybe they can pop in a few goals every once in a while to help out.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Uh, I think you missed the point. Fine, call it 5 goals. Whatever. Yes, I think he's a good 4th line player even with 5 goals. He is better than Matt Luff as an "actual 4th liner". He's better at hockey, period.

And also this is the modern NHL. There is attrition and there are hybrid line roles that don't have to fit into past stereotypes. Go ahead and get your better 2nd line scoring winger, yes, we are all praying that Poile is able to do that. Then when that guy or somebody else in the top-6 gets hurt... who do you slide up to fill that spot? Matt Luff? And does the 4th line just have to be some mixed bag of borderline banger/energy/toughguys? Or can it do something more sometimes? If Tolvanen and Glass/Novak are on our "4th line", maybe they can pop in a few goals every once in a while to help out.
I suspect the other side of the common "just keep adding stars and it'll magicaly make a team" flaw is the one of "you need X particular type of guy to fill Y specific role and that should cost no more than $Z". Flexibility is a good thing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I suspect the other side of the common "just keep adding stars and it'll magicaly make a team" flaw is the one of "you need X particular type of guy to fill Y specific role and that should cost no more than $Z". Flexibility is a good thing.
It's not necessarily that, but more if he's not going to play in the top 6 and likely ends up on the 4th line, what is the objective/role of our 4th line and does he carry out that role better than other players? I think he's very passable on the defensive side and he is willing to throw the body, etc..., but I don't know that he's particularly great at it either. It feels a lot like the normal "but his defense!" argument that always comes out when discussing offensive/production deficiencies--his defense is fine, but I think it's a bit overstated to compensate for him being such a letdown offensively.

As far as him being a replacement in case of injury...ok, he has the skill set for it, but he already hasn't really produced when given those opportunities so I'm not entirely convinced we wouldn't be better just promoting Jeannot or Trenin (if not already in the top 6) or bringing up an Afanaseyev, Novak, Nurmi, Evangelista, etc...

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad