Predators Hockey Discussion II

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Just realized that the Blues lost last night so as we sit here this afternoon the Preds are legit first in the Central. It's a nice feeling to be in this spot with 34 games played and creeping up on the halfway point of the season.

Sure the Avs have 5 games in hand but they're also 4 points behind the Preds so there isn't an asterisk there until the Avs actually use those games in hand to close the gap a little.

Reactions: PredsV82

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just realized that the Blues lost last night so as we sit here this afternoon the Preds are legit first in the Central. It's a nice feeling to be in this spot with 34 games played and creeping up on the halfway point of the season.

Sure the Avs have 5 games in hand but they're also 4 points behind the Preds so there isn't an asterisk there until the Avs actually use those games in hand to close the gap a little.

I think the Avs will win the division, but my goal for the Preds is now to finish 2nd in the division. Will be a battle with Blues/Wild, but I think we are capable of doing it.

Reactions: LCPreds

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think the Avs will win the division, but my goal for the Preds is now to finish 2nd in the division. Will be a battle with Blues/Wild, but I think we are capable of doing it.
You very well may be right, it seems a little bit "dreamy" to be thinking about winning the division. But, this is the second time this season that they have been at 8-1-1 in their last 10 games and something like 10-2-1 sandwiching a 10 game stretch of .500 hockey. If they can continue to have highs of 8-1-1 and lows of 5-5 they just might have a chance at the division.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Someone mentioned Edmontons fall at the end of the previous thread. Those guys are going to forever waste having McDavid aren’t they?

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Someone mentioned Edmontons fall at the end of the previous thread. Those guys are going to forever waste having McDavid aren’t they?
Should have bit the bullet a couple of years ago and offloaded as many of those bad contracts as possible. Problem is they just keep signing them.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Every game the Preds win puts that much more pressure on the Avs to win their games in hand. I'd rather have points in the bank than to be chasing someone else while needing to win games to pass.

The Avs have a chance to make up that gap, but that's all it is, just a chance until they go out and do it.
Exactly. Someone mentioned the Wild being able to pass the Preds too but IF they win the 3 games in hand they'd still only be 2 points ahead of the Preds. 100% better to have the points already.

Reactions: PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Here we sits in first and sportsclubstats hasn't updated since December 18. Argghhh!

I want to see us move up.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just some fun facts on a Friday:

On March 15 last year, we were sitting at 11-16-1 and had lost 6 of our last 7. We were near dead last in the entire league

Since that date:

Finished last season: 20-7-1
This season: 22-11-2

That means that in our last 63 games we are 42-18-3. That is a 113 point season pace

This year we are currently playing at a 108 point pace and since the 1-4 start we are 20-7-1 (120 point pace)

I still am not ready to say we are a true Cup contender but I think that is a big enough sample size that we can certainly say that this is a not a fluke or just some hot streak- a legit good team.

Who would've thunk it?????? Crazy stuff. I think it is safe to say that none of us saw any of this coming on March 15 of last year- lol

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am pleasantly surprised at our success so far. However, it appears that success has been largely dependent on Saros. As I said somewhere else, we have got to get better defensively and generate more O zone time. I am curious about high danger chances, are we giving a lot of those up? The irony of me wanting us to be more Trotz like is not lost on me o_O).

Saros is going wear down if he has to keep having 40+ save games for us to win. Good shooters are going to pick him apart by going over shoulder. I am interested to see how we do against a fully loaded Colorado for example.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think the biggest 2 areas for improvement in the defensive zone are getting Fabbro back, this has been a bigger loss than most would probably want to credit Fabbro with, and the second line carrying play more.

First:
Carrier with Josi isn't a disaster but it's a mess. Their inability to play off of each other was responsible for two clean break aways last night, one that ended in a goal against. Thankfully the coaches made the switch to Benning with Josi and put Carrier back where he belongs, with Ekholm.

As I've said before and we've seen it these last few games, Josi can not get stops in the Dzone by himself or with another offensive Dman (Carrier, Ellis).

Myers just isn't ready for a top 6 spot. The worst part is that he is indecisive with the puck and winds up getting covered up by the forecheck before moving the puck up and out.

Second:
The second line just isn't generating enough possession time right now. Some of it seems to be Kunin and Tolvanen working hard and doing the right things but just not getting results. But I think Joey needs a little extra juice right now, he seems to have hit a bit of a lull. Maybe Tomasino is put on this line for a little shake up.?.

I'm not the least bit worried about Saros wearing out and all good teams rely on their goalies to be good but the Preds have been stuck in the Dzone more since the break. Luckily, they are 3-1-1 since the break so they're still holding their place in the standings even if they aren't playing to the level we now expect.

One other thing to think about is that other teams have taken notice and are preparing for a heavy physical game and are getting hyped up to play an all out playoff type game to match what the Preds bring. This will be the next step in improving the team, competing with teams that are ratcheting things up to match the Preds intensity. Is there another level they can get to?

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I am pleasantly surprised at our success so far. However, it appears that success has been largely dependent on Saros.

Saros is going wear down if he has to keep having 40+ save games for us to win. .

I don't know- people keep saying this but I really don't think it is as much a factor this year as it has been in other years (with both Rinne and Saros)

Last night he definitely saved our bacon- but those kinds of games are going to happen.

But overall I think this year we have been a pretty solid team all around and maybe I am just nuts but I would not look at this season and just say we are totally dependent on Saros.

We have a near top 5 power play in the league, a top 10 penalty kill, and we are even in the top 10 in the league in shots allowed (which kind of surprised me). Almost every analytic points to us being legit good- so far.

If our big guns keep playing the way they have, I think this is a legit good team. And as far as Saros goes, I think it is pretty safe to say we have one of the top 5 goalies in the entire league, so if people keep saying he is saving us I take that as good news, because it means we have a legit stud goalie.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't typically complain about officiating, but in last night's game the Kings were gifted many minutes of offensive zone time to pepper Juuse with some extremely questionable calls. The interference call against Johansen for having his leg held onto by Quick was objectively and simply atrocious, for one.

At times a team has to just play through poor/blind officiating. To the Preds credit, they did. The Kings were only able to convert on one PP, and that was a pinpoint perfect shot from way out high if I recall. Juuse stood on his head, and watching the defensive play, it looks pretty clean with switches and pressures.

The areas we were not good in last night were faceoffs. Kopitar just abused us there, which extended a lot of defensive zone time. Secondly, there were some softer breakout/bad clearing attempts that resulted in turnovers and even more extended defensive zone time.

PS: Myers doesn't seem to trust his feet when he has the puck to me. He seems to operate in a phone booth with the puck and want to get rid of it quickly like it's a live hand grenade at his feet. I think he'd have really benefited from spending more time in the AHL. The Flyers development of him looks pretty suspect at this point.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don't know- people keep saying this but I really don't think it is as much a factor this year as it has been in other years (with both Rinne and Saros)

Last night he definitely saved our bacon- but those kinds of games are going to happen.

But overall I think this year we have been a pretty solid team all around and maybe I am just nuts but I would not look at this season and just say we are totally dependent on Saros.

We have a near top 5 power play in the league, a top 10 penalty kill, and we are even in the top 10 in the league in shots allowed (which kind of surprised me). Almost every analytic points to us being legit good- so far.

If our big guns keep playing the way they have, I think this is a legit good team. And as far as Saros goes, I think it is pretty safe to say we have one of the top 5 goalies in the entire league, so if people keep saying he is saving us I take that as good news, because it means we have a legit stud goalie.
There has been this narrative about Saros being the only reason the team is anything but a bottom feeder since last season. It's the same thinking that had people projecting the Preds as the worst team in the west. They believe it so deeply that they can't see the team as it really is or the trends that show this could be a REALLY good team. You'll see it all over the comments on Vignan's latest, almost positive, articles.

All we can do is keep repeating the positives and wait for the results to prove them wrong.

Reactions: Kat Predator

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I don't typically complain about officiating, but in last night's game the Kings were gifted many minutes of offensive zone time to pepper Juuse with some extremely questionable calls. The interference call against Johansen for having his leg held onto by Quick was objectively and simply atrocious, for one.

At times a team has to just play through poor/blind officiating. To the Preds credit, they did. The Kings were only able to convert on one PP, and that was a pinpoint perfect shot from way out high if I recall. Juuse stood on his head, and watching the defensive play, it looks pretty clean with switches and pressures.

The areas we were not good in last night were faceoffs. Kopitar just abused us there, which extended a lot of defensive zone time. Secondly, there were some softer breakout/bad clearing attempts that resulted in turnovers and even more extended defensive zone time.

PS: Myers doesn't seem to trust his feet when he has the puck to me. He seems to operate in a phone booth with the puck and want to get rid of it quickly like it's a live hand grenade at his feet. I think he'd have really benefited from spending more time in the AHL. The Flyers development of him looks pretty suspect at this point.
Officiating has favorites. A close call favors teams and certain players. The Johansen call described was just awful. Wait till the Colorado game. There’s a reason why they’re great on the PP. They’re always on it. They’ve got “stars” and you just cannot touch them without a penalty.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There has been this narrative about Saros being the only reason the team is anything but a bottom feeder since last season. It's the same thinking that had people projecting the Preds as the worst team in the west. They believe it so deeply that they can't see the team as it really is or the trends that show this could be a REALLY good team. You'll see it all over the comments on Vignan's latest, almost positive, articles.

All we can do is keep repeating the positives and wait for the results to prove them wrong.
I dunno, I don't discern that narrative at all. I don't dispute that Saros has been our MVP since last year's turn around. And even with great seasons and showings by many players this year so far, he's still our MVP. But to me there's a big difference between acknowledging him as our MVP and saying he's the ONLY reason we're doing well - which I don't find happening? Maybe I just don't pay too much attention to external chatter though...
:dunno:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Saros is emerging as a dominant goalie. He's reading plays better and better. He's always been a great technician, but he continues to hone that as well. We're really lucky to have him after Pekka.

Agree that he is not the only reason we're winning. The best players are playing better, the support/role players are contributing, and there has been a transition and total buy-in to what the coaches are preaching. I'd also add that the coaches have improved along with the team. The adjustments made on the PP scheme, for example, were significant and are clearly helping this team win games.

Despite all the positives, there are aspects that could be better or more consistent. Duchene went from red hot to a dry spell for a while. Hope he can get back on track with scoring. The second line could be better at cycling down low. And, as Willy said last night, the fourth line is still a work in progress, and Hynes may be rotating some new faces through there like Luff and McCarren to see if that line can't be improved.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
They’ve got “stars” and you just cannot touch them without a penalty.

Until the playoffs roll around and all whistles are broken. That’s why I think this team actually has a chance to be even better in the playoffs. Will they be able to beat Colorado in a 7 game series? I’m not optimistic but the Avs aren’t going to be looking great going into their next one if they face us and win.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I agree, Saros is not the only reason we are doing well but he is a big one. I would just like to see less reliance on him by better offensive possession.

Agree- But my thing is this- on every great team, can't you say the goalie is a big reason for the success?? Tampa Bay is loaded of course, but isn't having Vasilevskiy a huge part of their team?? Even as great as they are let them have to play with Brian Elliott and see how far they get.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Agree- But my thing is this- on every great team, can't you say the goalie is a big reason for the success?? Tampa Bay is loaded of course, but isn't having Vasilevskiy a huge part of their team?? Even as great as they are let them have to play with Brian Elliott and see how far they get.
Put another way, why do we think Oilers fans wish we'd gift them Saros for a bag of Nugents and Hopkins?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I dunno, I don't discern that narrative at all. I don't dispute that Saros has been our MVP since last year's turn around. And even with great seasons and showings by many players this year so far, he's still our MVP. But to me there's a big difference between acknowledging him as our MVP and saying he's the ONLY reason we're doing well - which I don't find happening? Maybe I just don't pay too much attention to external chatter though...
:dunno:
I agree that he's the MVP of the team and he's been better than we could have expected, maybe we hoped for this but not expected.
That narrative is most definitely out there, people twisting themselves in knots to avoid having to admit the obvious. Now it's the team is only in this position because of Saros and he's not good enough to win a cup by himself so ownership still needs to fire Poile and Hynes and blow up the team.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Until the playoffs roll around and all whistles are broken. That’s why I think this team actually has a chance to be even better in the playoffs. Will they be able to beat Colorado in a 7 game series? I’m not optimistic but the Avs aren’t going to be looking great going into their next one if they face us and win.
By the end of the season with another 45 games spent dialing things in and making tweaks in preparation for the post season I suspect we'll feel confident with the team in a series against any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad