Confirmed with Link: Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My statement was more focused on passing the puck inparticular in the neutral zone and the offensive zone by forwards. This is not even a decent group at handling the puck. If the team were half as good as Detroit at this it would be an improvement and I do dispise the Wings.

I guess once again I am the only one even concerned about what the new system will need to work. The best forward on the team at passing the puck is Wilson but time after time the other guys could not handle the puck. This is a big issue and there has been little to see improvement in this area of the game.

I really look forward to more offensive hockey rather than the perimeter shots and rebound goals we have lived off of. But the systems are so different I do not know how anyone can think this is going to be a smooth transition. If the season were to start tomorrow with this same roster using Lavi's system it would be a disaster. There is not enough talent on the team to make it otherwise. And if any of you think Jarnkrok and Foresberg are going to come out and light it up and carry this team your in for a rude awakening. And the refrence to Smith being our best forward, well that is a big part of the problem. Yes DP has stated he realizes the problem, however his hands are tied on many different levels preventing him from signing a couple players that can make a real difference. This roster is a group of good hardworkers for the most part and they will not be turned around to the high flyers most expect.
I think there's some valid points here, especially regarding the transition process and the ability of the roster to adapt and succeed in such a system. And, yeah, I don't want to get too negative, but I'm not too keen on hanging our hats on Forsberg or Jarnkrok at this point. Jarnkrok looked good in his stint at the end of the season, and Forsberg's production ramped up as his AHL season progressed, but still just not enough evidence to really be counting on them for anything.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Very good point.

Take a look at the 2005-2006 Canes team that Lavi won the Cup with. It was not exactly the Pittsburgh Penguins of today. Sure, they had Eric Staal. But the rest of the team was not that exciting at forward.

Here are a few examples of that:
Justin Williams - He had a career high 76 points that season. He has never hit more than 67 points ever again! He is typically a 50 point guy.
Corey Stillman - Also had 76 points. For his career he averages about .7 points per game ...so another 50-60 point player.
Eric Cole - was a point per game that season (59 pts in 60 games). For his career he averages .6 points per game...so about a 50 point player.

I would say your Predators are not that far off in terms of talent from that Canes team. You don't have an Eric Staal...but the rest of your lineup has plenty of 50-60 point forwards. If you add even 5 goals to 6 of them or 2.5 goals to 12 of them(30 goals), you are looking at 246 GF(8TH) instead of 216 GF(20TH). That is easily the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs.
Good insight, thanks.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
From a few pages ago, some people were speculating that Lavi could flame out after a season or two and be fired, to be replaced with Housley.

I don't feel like that is a realistic option with the Predators due to their budget constraints. They just can't afford to buy out multiple seasons of a coach and also pay a new one. So we probably see 5 seasons of Laviolette.

I know DP would never admit it, but it's probably why Trotz wasn't fired sooner and they happen to finally make this decision when his contract was up...

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I watched the US vs Belarus game today with my focus on Smith and Jones. Didn't notice much was different about Jones' game. I did find it interesting how often Smitty was waiting for a pass in the slot. He cycled the puck some, but mainly he stayed in front of the crease while the wingers cycled. Is that common positioning for the center? It seemed that he was playing more as a sniper/shooter than a passing playmaker. I didn't grow up watching hockey so my knowledge of the Xs and Os is awful. Did anyone else watch the game and see differences in the way Smith and Jones were used by Lavy compared to Trotz?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
From a few pages ago, some people were speculating that Lavi could flame out after a season or two and be fired, to be replaced with Housley.

I don't feel like that is a realistic option with the Predators due to their budget constraints. They just can't afford to buy out multiple seasons of a coach and also pay a new one. So we probably see 5 seasons of Laviolette.

I know DP would never admit it, but it's probably why Trotz wasn't fired sooner and they happen to finally make this decision when his contract was up...

preds seem to have more money these days, but was Laviolettes deal really for 5 years?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I saw someone say that Lavi is fiery and will tear someone a new one if they screw up. The question is, after that chewing does he put them back on the ice or does that guy sit? When kids screwed up for Trotz, they got sat. If Lavi is going to chew but then put them back on the ice, I have no problem with that. He lets them know they screwed up but then he's willing to put them back on the ice to learn from their mistakes. The other question is, does he rip everyone across the board or just the youth? Once again, my big problem with Trotz was it seemed he held the younger players to a different accountability level than the vets. I think if you treat everyone the same across the board, the rules are simple, this is the way we play, everyone needs to fall in line. I think it will bring the team together more if you ask me.

How Laviolette handles all of this is up for discussion but until we see it first hand, we won't really know.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I saw someone say that Lavi is fiery and will tear someone a new one if they screw up. The question is, after that chewing does he put them back on the ice or does that guy sit? When kids screwed up for Trotz, they got sat. If Lavi is going to chew but then put them back on the ice, I have no problem with that. He lets them know they screwed up but then he's willing to put them back on the ice to learn from their mistakes. The other question is, does he rip everyone across the board or just the youth? Once again, my big problem with Trotz was it seemed he held the younger players to a different accountability level than the vets. I think if you treat everyone the same across the board, the rules are simple, this is the way we play, everyone needs to fall in line. I think it will bring the team together more if you ask me.
How Laviolette handles all of this is up for discussion but until we see it first hand, we won't really know.

Obviously I don't have access to Philly's locker room, so the HBO 24/7 series is all I've got to go off of, but I seem to remember him being pretty even on who he rips into. I don't recall him singling out any group of young players, or any players for that matter. Just my two pennies.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Obviously I don't have access to Philly's locker room, so the HBO 24/7 series is all I've got to go off of, but I seem to remember him being pretty even on who he rips into. I don't recall him singling out any group of young players, or any players for that matter. Just my two pennies.

Good to know. I never watched that but hopefully that's right on the money. I honestly think being that way to everyone is the way to go. Everyone is held to the same standard.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Good to know. I never watched that but hopefully that's right on the money. I honestly think being that way to everyone is the way to go. Everyone is held to the same standard.

Agreed. I also don't think he benches guys just for making mistakes. It seemed evident he'd much rather bench people for lack of effort than lack of execution.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I saw the same thing... 5year contract.

I think we have to expect a hard transition to a new coach and new system. Hopefully since we have both next season, I hope to see 99% of the players re assigned to Milwaukee or let go after only 1 preseason game or before. We're going to need every pre season game to get the vets going. I've always wondered if Trotz letting everybody hang around for so long and letting vets slowly ramp up is why we have had such a slow start every year.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I watched the US vs Belarus game today with my focus on Smith and Jones. Didn't notice much was different about Jones' game. I did find it interesting how often Smitty was waiting for a pass in the slot. He cycled the puck some, but mainly he stayed in front of the crease while the wingers cycled. Is that common positioning for the center? It seemed that he was playing more as a sniper/shooter than a passing playmaker. I didn't grow up watching hockey so my knowledge of the Xs and Os is awful. Did anyone else watch the game and see differences in the way Smith and Jones were used by Lavy compared to Trotz?

Yep I saw that too. He did that here as well but it seemed to be his objective when they reached the offensive zone, very nice to see. He's definitely going to succeed in a system where he does that

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Was he playing center or wing? He played wing for us last year so that may be why he's positioned the way he was.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Was he playing center or wing? He played wing for us last year so that may be why he's positioned the way he was.

No idea. Both of his line mates (Nelson and Johnson) are listed as Centers for their NHL teams. For the WC, they are all listed as Forwards.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I saw the same thing... 5year contract.

I think we have to expect a hard transition to a new coach and new system. Hopefully since we have both next season, I hope to see 99% of the players re assigned to Milwaukee or let go after only 1 preseason game or before. We're going to need every pre season game to get the vets going. I've always wondered if Trotz letting everybody hang around for so long and letting vets slowly ramp up is why we have had such a slow start every year.

It is going to be interesting to see training camp and how different it will be. Lavi doesn't know the players like Trotz did so they may hang around just as long to evaluate unless he is just quicker at cutting them. Preds are notoriously bad starters but we also are forced to be on the road for 7-10 days at the beginning of every season because of the CMA Awards. Last year was just brutal going coast to coast and losing Rinne and it pretty much sunk the season.

Flyers21

Feb 23, 2006
Hey guys, flyers fan coming in peace. Always had a soft spot for the Preds. Just wanted to give my insight to Lavi. I was't surprised the preds signed him he's too good of a coach to be away from the NHL. Just a few things you guys should be excited about. He is a peddle to the metal kind of coach who is all emotion, it will definitely show on the ice teams will play for him. Kind of why he has a short shelf life, but this will give the preds some sort of identity that other teams will take into account. He also is known for his timeouts, (see game 7 vs Boston in 2010) he'll rage the first few seconds get the players in line and devise a strategy which more often than not will make a difference. He loves to activate the defense and create more offense, the flyers D core was never their strength even with pronger, so i think the Nashville defense will thrive more offensively which will create more chances. He also uses somewhat of a left wing lock, likes to trap teams in the neutral zone for a counter attack odd man rush. Stretch passes are also his thing which sucked in Philly since we only had a kimmo and pronger with a good first pass. I believe the Nashville defense is the best he ever worked with, weber is gonna have a big year i believe. The problem that led to his demise in Philly was his inability to adjust in game, we got manhandled by Boston and the devils in the playoffs because they figured out how to attack his system. If he ever polishes that aspect he could do something with this club. Anyways good luck and i have to say wish you guys didn't match the weber offer sheet lol.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Surely it's only a matter of time.

He ratchets up the pressure every year.... First he uses teammates as target practice, breaking bones. Hint taken- he gets nominated by scared press corp. He loses a couple of votes and so Poile loses an eye. If he doesn't win this year, I predict someone is killed by a slap shot next year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He ratchets up the pressure every year.... First he uses teammates as target practice, breaking bones. Hint taken- he gets nominated by scared press corp. He loses a couple of votes and so Poile loses an eye. If he doesn't win this year, I predict someone is killed by a slap shot next year.

If it happens, its what I'm going to tell everyone....if you had just given him that Norris no one would of gotten hurt. He warned you with his teammates and Poile and you didn't listen :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad