GDT: Predators @ Blues 1-24-13 - A decade under the influence

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
can someone start a petition saying we want a true 1st line for a change. maybe poile will see it. everyone on the facebook page is saying the same ****.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
It took Trotz until the last game of the playoffs last season to figure out SK is not working on the top line. How long will it take for him to figure it out this season? SK deserves more criticism IMO. I seriously can't remember the last time he impressed me.

3rd period Trotz had Bourque in Sk spot. SK played with Spaling and Yip. Those were the only line changes in the 3rd I could see

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
can someone start a petition saying we want a true 1st line for a change. maybe poile will see it. everyone on the facebook page is saying the same ****.

Nashville has tried in the past. Kariya, Forsberg, Sullivan, Fisher, Rads... They need to have three guys like that at the same time. I was hoping that they would get Nash, but I can understand why Columbus would want him out of the division. Better players means more payroll. Remember Suter?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Nashville has tried in the past. Kariya, Forsberg, Sullivan, Fisher, Rads... They need to have three guys like that at the same time. I was hoping that they would get Nash, but I can understand why Columbus would want him out of the division. Better players means more payroll. Remember Suter?
thats the usual response. and i understand. btw, fisher and 1st line in the same sentence must be a typo.

im to the point if we can't afford icing a top notch team, then move them to ****ing canada. im so tired of the payroll bs. we need first line talent. can't afford it, then gtfo.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
thats the usual response. and i understand. btw, fisher and 1st line in the same sentence must be a typo.

im to the point if we can't afford icing a top notch team, then move them to ****ing canada. im so tired of the payroll bs. we need first line talent. can't afford it, then gtfo.

This X 10000000000

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
I think someone brought this up earlier, but I need to know...WTF is happening? This is the same crew (minus Suter and Toots) who ranked 8th in the league in scoring last year. Was that just a fluke? Or are we just in a funk right now?

I find myself asking "Which team is the REAL Predators?!" on a regular basis.

ETA: It's a terrible injustice of the universe that the one game-changing offensive threat we've ever acquired (Radulov) screwed us. Ugh.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
You also have to draft them. Which we haven't. We just can't seem to find gold like the Wings did with their late rounders, Datsyuk and Zetterberg for instance. I think Rads is the only true first line forward we have drafted. And that worked out real well didn't it? We don't the have budget to compete for top talent from elsewhere. Not to mention, the small, non traditional market stigma. Guys don't want to play here because we don't have bright lights, fawning fan base and endorsement opportunities that bigger US and Canadian markets have.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I think someone brought this up earlier, but I need to know...WTF is happening? This is the same crew (minus Suter and Toots) who ranked 8th in the league in scoring last year. Was that just a fluke? Or are we just in a funk right now?

I find myself asking "Which team is the REAL Predators?!" on a regular basis.

ETA: It's a terrible injustice of the universe that the one game-changing offensive threat we've ever acquired (Radulov) screwed us. Ugh.

1st PP in the league was biggest reason for that. i also did some number crunching but alot of our games where we scored 4+ goals was against horrible teams. not to mention, suter was a big help on offense. he was top notch at getting the offense going with breakout passes. and was great as well on the PP

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I'm not ready to hit the trade panic button yet.

Yes, it would be very nice to get a top 3 finishing forward on this team. That would be very nice. But we will have to consider who is available, what the bring, how much they cost, and what we would have to give up to get them. And we must also consider if said movement will really fix all of our problems.

Minnesota made two huge blockbuster moves over the off season. Two of the biggest names out there. But whether it will fix all of their problems remains to be seen. For superstars, sometimes you're only as good as your supporting cast.

A good playmaking center that is strong on draws would be ideal for us...but they are really expensive. Or we could get one of these talented wingers that can do all kinds of illegal things with the puck. But if he doesn't play defense, he's a waste of time in our system.

In the meantime, I am just going to expect more out of our players. Our veterans need to step it up. They've been around. There's no excuse for making lazy rookie passes or panicking every time there's not an open pass. SK is the biggest offender, though no one, save for maybe Erat, has been producing as we should expect.

And it's time for the second year guys to step up. We're seeing some of that, but all the guys need to pull their weight, Halischuk and Smith are the main guys I'm talking about.

I think the shortened camp has made it where parts of the team are having a hard time gelling...but there's no excuse for the vets there. I've liked (most) of what I've seen from Colin Wilson, but it's time he takes his game to a new level.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
If they didn't want to play they could have just given the 2 points to St.Louis and then rested for the whole day and saved everyone the trouble of having to watch that pathetic performance. They should have to give back a game check for this.

Fisher, that was a ***ing awful game. Just terrible.

Passes to no one, like they're scared once they have the puck on their stick and have to get rid of it in 2 seconds. Too damn SLOW and SOFT in everything they do!!!! Hit someone dammit! Learn to execute a breakout! Take the shot instead of passing all the ****ing time! Put the puck on the damn goal! If you're going to pass, pass it to someone OPEN and get it to them ON THEIR STICK! Get some sustained pressure and actually shoot the puck! Pay attention to what's going on around you and where you are on the ice, hockey 101 - all 5 guys can't be along the same boards at the same time!!

They said they were going to change lines and the only thing I saw was SK and Bourque switch places. And a D-pair change.

Awesome sweep by Weber. That was good.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

I know we're all frustrated, but this drives me crazy. What's poile supposed to do, just call up some other GMs and make three deals for a top line forward, without giving up pieces that make our team worse. Exactly three first liners have been traded in the last year and a half: Carter, Richards and Nash. Nash wouldn't go in division. We had no one on the par of Voracek, Couturier, or Schenn to trade to Philly.

Poile needs to try, but the man can't just pull top line forwards out of his hat.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I love how the panic starts. They laid a big fat egg after beating a good Minnesota team the other night. Big deal. If they lose the next 3-5 games then I'll start to worry but losing on the road to a very good St. Louis team is not going to ruffle my feathers at this point.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
You have a few things at work against this team. The team sucks along the boards in the defensive zone. This includes defensemen who cannot separate players from the puck. The forwards lose the puck along the boards far too easily as well. Combine that with bad puck movement from the defensemen and you get pinned in your own zone far too much. By the time the team gets the puck out of the zone, they usually have to have a line change, if they even made it through the neutral zone.

The team also fails to generate enough attack in the opponent's zone. When the team is able to not have a line change and get the puck in the zone, the players cough up the puck along the boards far too easily. Our gameplan seems to be get the puck to the defenseman as soon as possible for a shot from the point and either tip it or put in a rebound. Teams realize this, collapse down low and block shots and then win the puck battles.

Our team is built using two-way players who do have the ability to score on the rush after winning a battle in the defensive zone. Look at how many of our goals come on the rush. This doesn't work against the big boys like the Blues and the Coyotes in last year's playoffs. Our gameplan is to try to generate offense off the other team's mistakes.

Even in 2006-2007 we generated a ton of our offense on the rush. It is just then we had actual skilled players.

This is a few things. It is Trotz's system and the players Poile has given him. This team's lack of board play and skill is really hurting it. We have a fine compliment of some second line and alot of third line players. If you are counting on Legwand, Fisher, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn and company to carry an offense, then you are asking too much. We also lack offensive weapons that we can call up.

This post isn't panic, this is what I see.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
This was the first game I was able to watch since Columbus, I think I may just listen on the radio...ugh.

Fisher was the least effective forward we had. Though most looked bad except Bourque. I also was going to ask if Weber got hurt because I did not see him during the 3rd period but the looked and saw 24 minutes of ice time.

One bright spot to me was Ryan Ellis, he had a bad pass but his defense was good and him and Josi were the bright spots.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I know we're all frustrated, but this drives me crazy. What's poile supposed to do, just call up some other GMs and make three deals for a top line forward, without giving up pieces that make our team worse. Exactly three first liners have been traded in the last year and a half: Carter, Richards and Nash. Nash wouldn't go in division. We had no one on the par of Voracek, Couturier, or Schenn to trade to Philly.

Poile needs to try, but the man can't just pull top line forwards out of his hat.

Completely agree with this. We either draft a 1st line forward with some help from lady luck or we pay more than anyone here is willing to pay for one. Tough game on the road against arguably one of the best teams in the NHL. Move on; I think ANA and PHX will prove more mortal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad