GDT: Predators @ Blues 1-24-13 - A decade under the influence

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Not necessarily panic, but I think people may have had some unrealistic expectations of this team without Suter.

While our bottom lines maybe some of the best in the NHL, our top lines are some of the worst. This means we have to find scoring from somewhere else and usually that has come from either the blueline or overachieving bottom liners. Problem is, when neither are producing, you aren't going to win many games.

I think we are hurting in two areas and the first is the forwards. Last year we had Rads, AK, and Tootoo (although the first two for only part of the season). We replaced them with Big Mac, Clune, and essentially Yip. Before everyone jumps down my throat about "WHO COULD WE HAVE SIGNED" I am not saying we could've gotten anyone, simply stating fact.

Second area, puck movement up ice. Suter's ability to move the puck quickly and accurately is hurting this squad right now. Josi has done a fantastic job carrying his load, but the problem his he can't carry both his and Suter's load on his shoulders.

I don't expect Poile to trade for prime, top end talent. We really don't have the pieces or the pieces we do have we are unwilling to part with. Couple that with tight purse strings and this team will never really have high end players... UNLESS we draft and develop them. If there is a knock on Poile, it his his ability to draft gifted offensive players. He has done great with D men and goalies... forwards... certainly debatable. Most of his trades have even paid off in the end or where the right moves, the team just didn't perform to the best of their abilities.

EDIT: Not even sure if it is a Poile thing as much as it is a Trotz AND Poile thing. Nashville's playing style does not exactly promote offensive flair either.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
We really haven't looked that great so far, not just this game. Passing to imaginary people has to stop.

Overall, I'd say these guys are have done pretty well:
Erat
Spaling
Josi
Ellis
Wilson
Hannan (to a degree)

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
Our lack of high end offensive skill means we need a lot of coaching and practice/reputation to operate at maximum efficiency. We just don't have that one or two player(s) to cover up a poor offensive night with an amazing goal(s). The shortened season was always going to be a problem for our style of play IMO. Add to the fact we play in an extremely tough division and it spells even more trouble.

No doubt we are off to a slow start, and I'm pretty sure we'll see our fair share of these types of games this season. 40+ games in 90+ days is a lot to ask for from such an effort team.

I don't like using that as an excuse, but I think it is/was/and will continue to be the nature of the beast for this season. I think the coach are very concerned about the players "legs." I've heard them mention that is almost every interview they've done.

I'm not panicking, but that's because I really thought we would struggle this season with the shortened schedule. We'll just need to keep plugging away and see how it turns out.

tserberis*

I love how the panic starts. They laid a big fat egg after beating a good Minnesota team the other night. Big deal. If they lose the next 3-5 games then I'll start to worry but losing on the road to a very good St. Louis team is not going to ruffle my feathers at this point.

You call that beating???

I call that lucky bounce. Didn't show nothing... Been out played in every game so far. Even by Blue Jackets.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
If anyone from any other team took advantage of Backstrom's "brainfart/lucky bouce" it would billed as a great play by an offensive minded forward. But because it was our forward, it was luck. Give me a $%!@$ break. It was a hell of a play by Erat. He read the goaltender and picked off a clear and THEN made a play to score with pure choas ensuing. At some point you guys have to accept Martin Erat is a damn good forward and could play on any top line in the league. ANY.

As far as the goalscoring issues, yeah we are gonna look like pure ******* I would guess 5-7 games this year.

The goal is to go get 30 points at home and avg a point per game on the road. 54 points. We come back from the next 5 games with 5 points, we should be thrilled.

have a little bit of perspective here.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm not panicking.

I am frustrated that the Preds looked like they didn't want to be on the ice last night. Losing is OK, but looking like you're an AHL team in comparison to the Blues is not.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
they better get use to 3 games in 4 nights.. everyone else has to do it too. not like we are the only team

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
So what?

They were bouncing around for 7 months and now they too tired to play 3 in 4?

Ok then. Good luck with this season...

I'm not using it as an excuse for the mediocre start thus far, but "bouncing around" for 7 months is far worse than being able to play competitive hockey in training camps. That said, every team is in the same boat.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
they better get use to 3 games in 4 nights.. everyone else has to do it too. not like we are the only team

I get that. But if we are gonna point to this effort it is important to point out we were and they weren't. Every team will lay a few eggs. Many on a 3 in 4. Minimizing those efforts will be a key to the season.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I get that. But if we are gonna point to this effort it is important to point out we were and they weren't. Every team will lay a few eggs. Many on a 3 in 4. Minimizing those efforts will be a key to the season.

good point. and it was against st louis up there. ill see what we do against an anaheim. im expecting our offense to lay another turd

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
According to Cooper these were the lines in practice today.

Colin Wilson-Mike Fisher-Martin Erat

Gabriel Bourque-David Legwand-Patric Hornqvist

Sergei Kostitsyn-Nick Spaling-Craig Smith

Rich Clune-Paul Gaustad-Brandon Yip

I agree with moving Wilson up to the top line as he deserves it while SK has done nothing. Having SK the passer with Smith the shooter could create something and get them both out of a funk. Not sure where Halischuk is at but I'd rather have him in there then Clune but we'll be playing the ducks so I can understand playing Clune.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
hate the lines. fisher and hornqvist will kill both of our top lines efficiency and puck possession. the 3rd line is a wreck with spaling (producing) stuck between the 2 forwards struggling most. our 4th line is the worst we have had in recent years. gaustad was a big 3+ million dollar mistake. lord help this group of forwards... or whatever they are

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That second line isn't bad, IIRC they clicked pretty well during the playoffs and generated a lot of pressure.

I really like the top 2. The top LW position essentially has to have another shooter. Willy has been seeing the ice well and has a fairly underrated wrister so I could see that working atleast temorarily.

It's the bottom 2 lines that just seem jumbled. Is Hali injured? Clune and Yip is a disaster when you look at 4th lines around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad