GDT: Predators @ Avs | 2/18/2013 | 1:00 PM | Impeachment Day!

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Trade him for a top 3 defenseman. This defense is pitiful and getting EJ a partner will do wonders for this team.

Agreed about Barrie, I guess he just needed more ice time. Looks like Av merican was right to suggest to play him with EJ.

However the center That should be traded is mister 6.6 million. His name rhythms with jasper.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Finally watched the highlights. LOVED the Duchene hit on Weber that led to the McPing goal. Thing of beauty. :nod:

I've been a pretty staunch defender of O'Byrne thus far, but I have to agree w/Dater in that he's been ridiculously soft this season, which leads me to speculate three possible scenarios:

1. He's hurt.

2. Quinn is trying to get him to change his game, as (possibly) evidenced by his half-assed attempts to block shots.

3. He's just plain having a bad year.

Bottom line, we got him to be a physical presence on the blueline. If he's not going to clear the crease and knock the living bejeezus out of attacking forwards down low, he's pretty much useless. With Elliott and Barrie in the fold it's now more important than ever to get the tough guys on the blueline to serve up some physical play.

I agree with what others have said--next game scratch ROB and put in SOB. At the very least you'll be getting a very pissed off defender known for his grit eager to prove himself.

BTW, did Sacco actually bench Bordeleau after those penalties? Chambers speculated Sacco would, but I didn't hear for sure whether Bordy was benched or the guy was just invisible for the rest of the game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Finally watched the highlights. LOVED the Duchene hit on Weber that led to the McPing goal. Thing of beauty. :nod:

I've been a pretty staunch defender of O'Byrne thus far, but I have to agree w/Dater in that he's been ridiculously soft this season, which leads me to speculate three possible scenarios:

1. He's hurt.

2. Quinn is trying to get him to change his game, as (possibly) evidenced by his half-assed attempts to block shots.

3. He's just plain having a bad year.

Bottom line, we got him to be a physical presence on the blueline. If he's not going to clear the crease and knock the living bejeezus out of attacking forwards down low, he's pretty much useless. With Elliott and Barrie in the fold it's now more important than ever to get the tough guys on the blueline to serve up some physical play.

I agree with what others have said--next game scratch ROB and put in SOB. At the very least you'll be getting a very pissed off defender known for his grit eager to prove himself.

BTW, did Sacco actually bench Bordeleau after those penalties? Chambers speculated Sacco would, but I didn't hear for sure whether Bordy was benched or the guy was just invisible for the rest of the game.

This is where benching him for a game or 2 might not be the worse thing. Barrie benched and came back amazingly well

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I seriously doubt Tallon will include Kulikov in any deal for O'Reilly. He already took a major hit on the blueline when Garrison left town, and I don't think Gudbranson will amount to much. Even so, lose Kulikov and the Panthros are relying on Brian Campbell and Filip Kuba to anchor the offense.

They love Gudbranson though, which is why I think Kuli would be part of the trade if that's what happened. I'd be for it, would be a good addition to Avalanche-East. They could even run an awesome Ex-Avs line with Flash-Radar-Mueller.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
They love Gudbranson though, which is why I think Kuli would be part of the trade if that's what happened. I'd be for it, would be a good addition to Avalanche-East. They could even run an awesome Ex-Avs line with Flash-Radar-Mueller.

Great opportunity to include RoB and Hunwick for a pk forward
Flash-Radar-Meller
RoB-Hunny
PP1

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs hadn't pissed away two points in Edmonton, Avs would be one point out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Great opportunity to include RoB and Hunwick for a pk forward
Flash-Radar-Meller
RoB-Hunny
PP1

ROB and HunnyBunny are key parts of our tank. Like Brian Elliott before them they are leading the way on a just bad team, and making them top pick bad. This is what they're whole lives have been building to, and we can't lose them until the job is done and Seth Jones is wearing Burgundy.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think that benching ROB will make a difference. Benching Barrie probably wasn't the big difference maker. He was great in the AHL and just needed enough games to adjust to the NHL. This is what should happen with Elliott as well. Let him keep playing, don't dress/scratch.

What offends me the most though is that nothign will change. Maybe they will scratch ROB and dress SOB and it'll be business as usual (Barrie as our only solid dman oh and Matt Hunwick). No one will get waived, no one will get traded. I shudder to think what would happen if we were a contender that went on a losing streak (or I should say how little would happen).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't mind Bordeleau. He has generally been playing well. A few stupid penalties here and there is expected. He's not particularly mobile, don't read the play that well and think he has to finish every hit to keep playing. Penalties are going to happen.

With that said, I'm not sure you have to dress him every game. Edmonton hasn't even a middle weight. I'm not sure Nashville has anyone that tough either. When we meet Detroit, there isn't much he can do.

Playing Blues, Sharks, Columbus and so on, I'm fine with playing him.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I don't mind Bordeleau. He has generally been playing well. A few stupid penalties here and there is expected. He's not particularly mobile, don't read the play that well and think he has to finish every hit to keep playing. Penalties are going to happen.

With that said, I'm not sure you have to dress him every game. Edmonton hasn't even a middle weight. I'm not sure Nashville has anyone that tough either. When we meet Detroit, there isn't much he can do.

Playing Blues, Sharks, Columbus and so on, I'm fine with playing him.

The thing I don't understand is why are we dressing him AND McLeod? They pretty much have the same role, and I don't understand why we need to dress 2 of those types of players.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Awesome game, just watched it. Elliott wasn't as good as I had hoped, but give him a game or two and perhaps a better partner. Scratching O'Brien over O'Byrne or Hunwick was a mistake.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Man is O'Byrne ever bad. The whole defense is just terrible at getting the puck back down low. Forwards like Duchene, Stastny, Parenteau and Mitchell do a better job in their own end than O'Byrne, Zanon, O'Breien and Hunwick

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have allowed a goal in the last 3 (3.02 to be exact) minutes in six straight periods.

Guarding leads... like a fox.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
i think the Elliot talk is premature. he has played badly on D but he's young. he still has not been any worse than the vets on this team with tons of experience but still can't seem to play passable NHL defense.

i can deal with a young player making dumb mistakes or playing a bit lax.
that happens with young guys and he's just coming off of recovery from a serious injury.
but people talking about him not needing to be playing are severely misguided, he has to play and adapt to get better.
he needs to improve but he strikes me as one of those types that you have to throw him to the wolves and let him get nearly eaten alive to get it. he's not the type to sent down, benched or not playing to get it.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Because no one else wants to give him credit, good on Sacco for putting McGinn with Duchene and not shoving Sgarbossa on Stastny's line over palushaj, as I'm sure every HFBoarder wanted. Sgarbossa being up makes me worry Landy is not close to coming back. It is painfully obvious he is a small 20 year old when he plays, he needs to get older yet I am sure he will be a good player.

I think it is time SoB started playing over Zanon/RoB. I like RoB generally more then SoB but RoB has really been exposed playing more. Having zero puck skills doesn't float in todays NHL as much as it did when Zanon first broke into the league. He is done. 15 minute a night guy who can help kill PKs, yet we have to use him against top lines.

Mant*

Because no one else wants to give him credit, good on Sacco for putting McGinn with Duchene and not shoving Sgarbossa on Stastny's line over palushaj, as I'm sure every HFBoarder wanted. Sgarbossa being up makes me worry Landy is not close to coming back. It is painfully obvious he is a small 20 year old when he plays, he needs to get older yet I am sure he will be a good player.

I think it is time SoB started playing over Zanon/RoB. I like RoB generally more then SoB but RoB has really been exposed playing more. Having zero puck skills doesn't float in todays NHL as much as it did when Zanon first broke into the league. He is done. 15 minute a night guy who can help kill PKs, yet we have to use him against top lines.

Bench the beard.
Bench the beard.
Can't bench the beard.
We can't bench the beard.

Zanon had a good game today, made two saves and blocked several scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad