GDT: Predators @ Avs | 2/18/2013 | 1:00 PM | Impeachment Day!

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
BDatLo5CEAApjKp.png:large

Just thought this deserved more attention.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Well, that was fun. At least we have kept a playoff spot in sight. Just need to get a bit healthy and play some more good games and we may still make a season of it yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No he just wants us to be good enough to get around 2nd or 3rd-5th. He doesn't want the chance of us drafting 1st or maybe even 2nd and taking Seth Jones, he wants to play with Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov or someone.

I think we can stop beating around the bush and just say it. Matt's a racist and that's why he demanded Manbearpig get traded away and why he doesn't want the Avs to get Seth Jones.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I HATE games like these, it's like friggen pond hockey. As long as we win tho it doesn't matter.

Varly, varly varly, People will look at his numbers and laugh but this guy is one of the reasons the avs aren't dead last. Hell if this were a different goalie we lose. If only we had defenders helping him or you know a defensive system.

About Barrie this guy is exactly what I thought Elliott was supposed to be. He's calm with the puck, great vision and a nice slapper. Defensively I haven't noticed him which is great news. We might have just found our EJ's partner. Hopefully, he keeps it up and EJ is back soon. I want to see them together ASAP but I have a feeling Sacco will keep Hejda with Barrie.

Elliott is still lolelliott, this guy still hasn't changed from his last callup. He still weak on the puck and a defensive nightmare. It's his first game so, I'll cut him some slack but from what I've read he has sucked in the AHl as well. SO, it's not looking good for this kid.

Zannon was solid today, he saved 2 goals. Not sure why, people are hating on the guy today.

Stastny had a great game. To all the people who say he's always been invilable on the ice but gets the job done, watch today's game he drove to the net hard and got himself a goal, on his assist he cut into the middle of the ice and kobi pounced on the puck. Defensively, he was fantastic breaking up plays, fantastic board work and actually clearing the puck on the pk. This Stastny needs to show up more than once a month please!

Mcginn has looked grat since being paired with Duchene( and here I thought Matt doesn't work well with power forwards:sarcasm:). Duchene what really needs to be said about this guy? He's been carrying the avs both offensively and defensively. I said for 3 years now I'd still take him over Tavares, his defensive game which has always been there but in flashes, has taken a new level. He could really become a top 5 centre in this league with his great 2 way play.

The avs were probably lucky in this game but whatever that rarely ever happens. To all the people talking about Seth Jones just stop this team need more than a high pick.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie - Hejda is a good paring. I think Barrie being so good at puck retrieval and being able to put the puck on Hejda's stick helps Hejda a lot. He's under a lot less pressure and can skate the puck/make plays. When he's paired with O'Byrne, he ends up under pressure all the time and has to scramble.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I HATE games like these, it's like friggen pond hockey. As long as we win tho it doesn't matter.

Varly, varly varly, People will look at his numbers and laugh but this guy is one of the reasons the avs aren't dead last. Hell if this were a different goalie we lose. If only we had defenders helping him or you know a defensive system.

About Barrie this guy is exactly what I thought Elliott was supposed to be. He's calm with the puck, great vision and a nice slapper. Defensively I haven't noticed him which is great news. We might have just found our EJ's partner. Hopefully, he keeps it up and EJ is back soon. I want to see them together ASAP but I have a feeling Sacco will keep Hejda with Barrie.

Elliott is still lolelliott, this guy still hasn't changed from his last callup. He still weak on the puck and a defensive nightmare. It's his first game so, I'll cut him some slack but from what I've read he has sucked in the AHl as well. SO, it's not looking good for this kid.

Zannon was solid today, he saved 2 goals. Not sure why, people are hating on the guy today.

Stastny had a great game. To all the people who say he's always been invilable on the ice but gets the job done, watch today's game he drove to the net hard and got himself a goal, on his assist he cut into the middle of the ice and kobi pounced on the puck. Defensively, he was fantastic breaking up plays, fantastic board work and actually clearing the puck on the pk. This Stastny needs to show up more than once a month please!

Mcginn has looked grat since being paired with Duchene( and here I thought Matt doesn't work well with power forwards:sarcasm:). Duchene what really needs to be said about this guy? He's been carrying the avs both offensively and defensively. I said for 3 years now I'd still take him over Tavares, his defensive game which has always been there but in flashes, has taken a new level. He could really become a top 5 centre in this league with his great 2 way play.

The avs were probably lucky in this game but whatever that rarely ever happens. To all the people talking about Seth Jones just stop this team need more than a high pick.

On the other hand, what the hell was he doing on the Weber goal. It looked like he was intentionally screening Varly. The only time he looks good is when he is laying out to block a shot. Otherwise, he is constantly out of position and offers noting else.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barrie and Hejda need to stay together for a while. I wouldnt switch Barrie to EJ's pairing. Both play the right side and anytime I have seen either play the left side, they are ineffective. Hopefully in the ROR trade the Avs can get a top pairing LD for EJ (hopefully Kulikov).

Kulikov-EJ
Hejda-Barrie

That actually looks like a decent top 4 for next season.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
On the other hand, what the hell was he doing on the Weber goal. It looked like he was intentionally screening Varly. The only time he looks good is when he is laying out to block a shot. Otherwise, he is constantly out of position and offers noting else.

I am assuming you are talking about the last goal.

They were outnumbered down low. Zanon was stuck trying to cover the man behind the net as well as Weber. Pajamas left Weber to cover a man in front. Zanon was stuck covering those 2.

Zanon is what he is. He saved 2 goals by blocking shots. You won't get much else from him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd let Barrie and Hejda stay together. Barrie's finally comfortable at this level, why mess that up? And having someone like Barrie with him has helped Hejda to. That's a good second pairing. If we get an EJ partner by the time he comes back we'd actually have a top 4.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Fun, fun fun game. It had me glued to my TV unlike some Preds and Avs games.

1. Matt Duchene. Women lie, men lie, numbers dont lie. His stat line today was pretty damn good. Not only that but he was all over the ice and was dangerous everytime he had the puck. Where are all the posters who wanted him traded? Where? He was Foppa lite today. I hope this doesnt change when Lando comes back

2. Our efense. No thats not a spelling error the "D" is simply silent. The "D" is horrendous save for Tyson Barrie and Jan Hejda. I will give Elliott slack since this is his first game back and only 2nd game since being injured. He made one very bad play and was walked in on a few times in the third.

3. Joe Sacco puting Hunwick and ROB out there in the dieing minutes just shows you how much this POS sucks at his job. He really tried his best to get Nashville that tieing goal and Hunwick and ROB tried their hardest to make sure it happened.

4. I rag on Stastny alot. I gave him the "Casper" name but today he played well in all 3 zones. He was hustling, he got some points, he won key draws. Need more of this from him. The real problem with Paul is Drunk Jones. Drunk Jones cant do anything right. He cant score, he can barely check, Hes slow on the PK, he cant turn left.

5. Aaron Pulashaj was a good pick up. Hes played well since being acquired. Hes putting up some points, his defensive game is slacking and he cant stay on his feet but those are things that can be taught me thinks. I hope he takes his off ice training serious this summer and really works on his balance above all else if he wants to be a regular in the NHL.

6. Varlamov was human today and looked shaky at times but true to form he came up with the big saves when the team needed it most. Looking back at the goals that were scored I say he maybe shouldve had 1 of the goals maybe the FIsher one but still that was a shot by Weber that went off Fisher in front of the net. Beyond that I dont think you can fault Varly on any of the goals.

7. Mcginn had a solid game. A grind it ou hard nosed game and was rewarded with a goal. Wish he wouldve scored the empty netter though so Matty could have 4 points.

8. Matt Hunwick - ROB pairing. Words cant describe how bad this was today. Both guys are not NHL hockey players they are crap crap crap. And together ...I mean Varly may aswell just grab the puck and throw it into his own net when those two tards are out there.

9. Cant wait to see Landeskog back soon. I really miss that guy and I hope when he returns he plays with Stastny and Pulashaj and bump Jones down with Olver.

10. Sign Ryan O'Reilly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

They were outnumbered down low. Zanon was stuck trying to cover the man behind the net as well as Weber. Pajamas left Weber to cover a man in front. Zanon was stuck covering those 2.

Zanon is what he is. He saved 2 goals by blocking shots. You won't get much else from him.

I dont mind Zanon, he blocks lots of shots, hes better than Funwick or O'Byrne.

*RoR trade*-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilison-Zanon/SOB

I think we could work with that defense

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't care if Elliott can skate and move the puck. If he can't play defense, I don't want him on this team. And there hasn't been a single moment where he's shown he can play defense at this level, dating back to last year. I was more impressed with Barrie in their callups last year, as far as overall game, and now that Barrie is providing more offense and getting more confidence, it's not even close. Barrie will at least play the body, even if he's pretty small. Elliott is just soft. He needs to put on a ton more weight.

Then again, the Avs deserve part of the blame. You don't call someone up whose played 1 game in the last month and half. It should have been Gaunce.

Barrie will be a top 4 defenseman. Combine his skills and his hockey IQ and it will happen. Excited to watch his development.

Duchene is playing like a top 10 player.

94 shots against the last two games. Need EJ back bad.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Barrie and Hejda need to stay together for a while. I wouldnt switch Barrie to EJ's pairing. Both play the right side and anytime I have seen either play the left side, they are ineffective. Hopefully in the ROR trade the Avs can get a top pairing LD for EJ (hopefully Kulikov).

Kulikov-EJ
Hejda-Barrie

That actually looks like a decent top 4 for next season.

I would absolutely love DK...errr..Donkey Kong...I mean Dmitri Kulikov on this team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Yes, that goal is what I'm talking about. it was a tough spot to be in, but he never really covered anything. He did nothing to contest either player, or disrupt the passing lane. He was more or less stationary in front of the crease. It was a hell of a lot closer to an offensive goalie screen than anything defensive.

I guess he wasn't nearly as bad during the rest of the game, but it was kind of a hard game to follow.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I don't care if Elliott can skate and move the puck. If he can't play defense, I don't want him on this team. And there hasn't been a single moment where he's shown he can play defense at this level, dating back to last year. I was more impressed with Barrie in their callups last year, as far as overall game, and now that Barrie is providing more offense and getting more confidence, it's not even close. Barrie will at least play the body, even if he's pretty small. Elliott is just soft. He needs to put on a ton more weight.

Then again, the Avs deserve part of the blame. You don't call someone up whose played 1 game in the last month and half. It should have been Gaunce.

Barrie will be a top 4 defenseman. Combine his skills and his hockey IQ and it will happen. Excited to watch his development.

Duchene is playing like a top 10 player.

94 shots against the last two games. Need EJ back bad.

My guess, They are show-caseing him as a potential addition to an O'Reilly trade.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I seriously doubt Tallon will include Kulikov in any deal for O'Reilly. He already took a major hit on the blueline when Garrison left town, and I don't think Gudbranson will amount to much. Even so, lose Kulikov and the Panthros are relying on Brian Campbell and Filip Kuba to anchor the offense.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I was going to mention this. Elliott was simply awful in his own zone. Par for the course on this year's team, so I wouldn't mind if they played him. But I still don't want him up if they're not going to play him.

O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hunwick are barely NHL-caliber players at this point. Zanon's not as bad as the other two, but he's not playing very well either.

Fun game, but pretty poor defense.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I seriously doubt Tallon will include Kulikov in any deal for O'Reilly. He already took a major hit on the blueline when Garrison left town, and I don't think Gudbranson will amount to much. Even so, lose Kulikov and the Panthros are relying on Brian Campbell and Filip Kuba to anchor the offense.

Reasoning has nothing to do with what and who I want on this team!!! :rant:

Though you make valid points, I could also see the Panthers getting desperate, especially with Weiss potentially leaving town.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Reasoning has nothing to do with what and who I want on this team!!! :rant:

Though you make valid points, I could also see the Panthers getting desperate, especially with Weiss potentially leaving town.

Tallon has done crazier things, that's for sure.

I still predict a deal with the Habs for something like Eller and either Beaulieu or Dietz, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad