Post-Game Talk: Predators at San Jose, 9:30 PM CDT

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
^^^He better keep that line together. The Fisher/Hornqvist/Cullen line has been clicking ever since he moved Cullen to that line.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well the Dallas Stars won their game tonight. So that means the Preds will have to win the remainder of their games this season and the Dallas Stars have to lose the rest of their games in order for the Preds to have a chance as a wild card for the playoffs.

Our next game is against the Dallas Stars. If we lose that game, we will be out of the playoffs. Win and we still have a chance even if a slim to none chance.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Never change :laugh:

I doubt anybody here is a "Smith pumper" you just seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy

ir·ra·tion·al [ih-rash-uh-nl] Show IPA

adjective

without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.

without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.

not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.

not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.

Perhaos 2 fits me but the other three not so much. As for the dislike yes and it seems to be growning. Funny how you are the lone poster to come to Smiths defense. Why is that? Could be because the guys performance does deserve criticism.

As most here despise Trotz behind the bench this is my feeling about this guy playing where he is. Just as with players in the past excuses are made to explain there short comings, and this guy has plenty. I further deplore the idea that he is seen as a major part of this team going forward. I admit freely the guy has some skills but lacks the most important one FINISH. I do recall someone a while back boasting about the guy on pace for 30 goals in attempt to put holes in my evaluation of this player. 4 games remain he is not going to make the 30 goal mark I will be surprised if he scores another goal as you look at the teams left to play. Smith chokes when pressured, while last season he was money in the shootout he is now replaced on a regular basis for multiple defensemen in the shootout.

IS anyone here happy with his 5 PP goals or 3 assists on the PP or do you realize he has not had a point on the PP since Feb 27th. Or how about his .167 FO percentage, no wonder Goose must be put out there so often. Now how about his SOG at Home he has 100 SOG with 9 goals. His SOG in losses is 112 while in wins has 85. Does that indicate an issue with finishing in the losses his scoring percentage in wins is .129 and in losses .080. This indicates an issue of performing under pressure. Add to that he has 10 games without a SOG. He is tied for 109 thru 115 in the league in points and 77th thur 93 tie in goals. In 16 OT games he has 1 point. 8 points on the PP this ties him for 8th on the team in PPP and considering theres only 13 players with PPP does this indicate a issue? As a center especially, Cullen, Legwand, Fish all have more assists this season. He is 5th in total TOI and 2nd in forwards TOI behind Fish. How about his PK TOI 1 minute 42 seconds for the YEAR.

Believe it or not he leads the team in shootout attempts this year with 7 and potted one goal so his .14 conversion has him replaced by defensemen in a shootout(Ohhh Nooooo its Trotz fault). There is no bigger argument than this, a player is one on one against a goalie. Last year he had 7 shootout attempts also and scored on 5 of them so what happened?

2nd on the team in shots on goal per game behind Horni and 10 more SOG than WEBER wow one would think a forward with more SOG would outperform a defenseman that shoots from the perimeter but we are talking about Weber SO I will cut a little slack here. He has 30 more shots than Fish. Now GWG is not a serious stat to most but his 3 GWG places him tie for 5th on the team with Wilson in relation to SOG one should expect more. His .27 gpg places him 4th on the team.

I could go on but I just don't make this crap up when I look at players and what there worth is to this team. I am not saying he is worthless, and as many issues I have with his game I still think he is an asset for our 3rd line. He has not shown The ability to put up numbers equal to a 1c or 2c on a playoff team, he just has not. Now he has picked up 4 assists with Hook in the mix and that's just too small of a sample to see how that will go but he has been on lines with the best the team had to offer throughout the year. Fish and Horni have both had pitiful years and have now passed Smith in points. Cullen has past him in assists so even on this team a case can be made that Cullen and Fish are the 1c and 2c. There is NO reason or excuse that Smith should not have outperformed these two this year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I might be going crazy Byrd, but I don't recall Smith playing center this season? Kind of hard to be better at a position than someone else when you aren't playing it?

I mean don't get me wrong, they guy hasn't exactly been insane this year, but lets not act like he has only put up 10g or something. He's improved, enough to be a true top 6 player? No probably not, but he's done some good things this season.

I don't know, I'm just not one to believe that every player comes out and puts up 30-35 right out of the gate. Really all I expect is for guys to get better each year until age catches up to them. I think his overall game has gotten better, at least he doesn't look like a deer in headlights all the time.

I'm certainly not ready to give up on the guy just because he only scored 20 goals, especially with the funk this team has been over the last two years.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Smith has topped 20 goals so on the whole, his season should be considered a good one. However his long dry spells do raise concern. Remeber we thought Wilson had finally "got it" only to see him totally crap the bed this year. I am hoping Smith follows with another good year next season and becomes a consistent 20+ scorer, even if he still has dry spells(Erat did this a lot but was still a good player). Time will tell if he is a true diamond in the rough or just a shiny polished turd.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Smith has topped 20 goals so on the whole, his season should be considered a good one. However his long dry spells do raise concern. Remeber we thought Wilson had finally "got it" only to see him totally crap the bed this year. I am hoping Smith follows with another good year next season and becomes a consistent 20+ scorer, even if he still has dry spells(Erat did this a lot but was still a good player). Time will tell if he is a true diamond in the rough or just a shiny polished turd.

At least Wilson has seemed to play better since they moved him to Center, so there is at least hope I guess.

I'll say both and Wilson and Smith can be very frustrating to watch at times. When they are on they can make so many things happen, its just that consistency is still lacking.

I'm still not ready to ship either out, although if they struggle next season then maybe its time to move them out. Of course the big thing right now is if you do that who do you replace them with thats any better? Lets not act like Milwaukee is just flooded with offensive talent, you know how the FA market goes, and you aren't going to get much in a trade right now.

Even if people don't like the way they play, just booting them off the team doesn't do you much good, you gotta have someone to replace them with. The possible upside is still better than anything we've got atm ( outside maybe Forsberg) and FA signings haven't exactly been stellar for anyone across the league.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Cullen with Hornqvist and Fisher has been magic. I wish we would have found that earlier in the year. We have had essentially a fully healthy team outside of Rinne for the duration of this season.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I will say this for Smith, he is a better player this year. I think he continues to evolve next year as long as he is on a scoring chance. His shots are hitting tons of posts. He is still creating scoring chances. He just is not burying the puck. I think borque as a line mate is a poor choice. Regardless I think Smith is probably a 40-60 pt guy going forward. He isn't a polished turd but he certainly isn't our savior. He is probably the only forward to exceed expectations this year. He was close to being off the roster to start the season ...

MrMariusz

Nov 13, 2007
Belgium
Hutton seems to have got his **** together after he got called out for playing like an ECHL rookie. Good progress made.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I will say this for Smith, he is a better player this year. I think he continues to evolve next year as long as he is on a scoring chance. His shots are hitting tons of posts. He is still creating scoring chances. He just is not burying the puck. I think borque as a line mate is a poor choice. Regardless I think Smith is probably a 40-60 pt guy going forward. He isn't a polished turd but he certainly isn't our savior. He is probably the only forward to exceed expectations this year. He was close to being off the roster to start the season ...

Nystrom would also be exceeding expectations, as would Spaling (at least these boards expectations).

Finding the right line-mate for Smitty seems to be key - he clicks with some and not with others, without seeming rhyme-or-reason. Still, I would think if his game matures around what we've seen this year he'll be a solid 2nd line guy. Bourque needs to skate energy line minutes with Goose and Nystrom next year if he's on the roster; if he was big and made space for Smith and Hook I might feel differently, but he brings some speed to that line and that's about it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I agree. His progress seems to be on the Erat track.
Hutton seems to have got his **** together after he got called out for playing like an ECHL rookie. Good progress made.
he has improved dramatically. He stole last night's game.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Oh joy the Preds win a game in OT and two on the road and
the team is looked at as not being that bad.
Thanks for making a point.

The team is almost at a .500 record and will either barely miss the playoffs or will draft 6th-8th. Another average team. Who is boring as watching paint dry when they have something to play for..

Yawn i personally am ready for things like a division champonship and high seeds in the playoffs.

Trotz with his typical year that has kept him here all this time.
Wonderful game by Hutton. I realize the Sharks hit the post 3 times. Which could of easily turned the game. Lady luck and horny thanks for keeping fans happy with average in the last few games of the season.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Trotz with his typical year that has kept him here all this time.

I am more than ready for a change behind the bench, but calling this year "a typical Trotz year"??

Not even close- you need to go back and look at our record the last decade or so- this is not a typical Trotz, or Preds, year in any way, shape or form......

Now, if you were talking about the Atlanta/Winnipeg Thrashers, then this would absolutely be a typical year- but the Preds?? No way

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I am more than ready for a change behind the bench, but calling this year "a typical Trotz year"??

Not even close- you need to go back and look at our record the last decade or so- this is not a typical Trotz, or Preds, year in any way, shape or form......

Now, if you were talking about the Atlanta/Winnipeg Thrashers, then this would absolutely be a typical year- but the Preds?? No way

Really. In my book barely making the playoffs, barely missing the playoffs or drafting in top 8 seem pretty Trotzy to me.

2002-2003 74 points

2003-2004 91 points last playoff spot

2004-2005 106 points 1st round exit

2005-2006 110 points 1st round exit

2007-2008 91 points last playoff spot.

2008-2009 88 points

2009-2010 100 points 1st round exit

2010-2011 99 points 2nd round exit

2011-2012 104 points 2nd round exit

2012-2013 41 points on pace for 70-80 point range

2013-2014 81 points probably finnish with 83-84 points.

Looks pretty typical to me. Either good with early exits, barely make playoffs, or middle of the bottom of the league.

Whats different?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
we do not need to blow this thing up, period. next year we should be back in the playoffs and the year after we should be back as a legit contender.
I hope all your "but if only's" come true and we are back to a mediocre team and all is right in the universe.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Really. In my book barely making the playoffs, barely missing the playoffs or drafting in top 8 seem pretty Trotzy to me.

2002-2003 74 points

2003-2004 91 points last playoff spot

2004-2005 106 points 1st round exit

2005-2006 110 points 1st round exit

2007-2008 91 points last playoff spot.

2008-2009 88 points

2009-2010 100 points 1st round exit

2010-2011 99 points 2nd round exit

2011-2012 104 points 2nd round exit

2012-2013 41 points on pace for 70-80 point range

2013-2014 81 points probably finnish with 83-84 points.

Looks pretty typical to me. Either good with early exits, barely make playoffs, or middle of the bottom of the league.

Whats different?

I must be in the twilight zone or something, but to me your post does a great job of making my point.

Before the shortened lockout season (the start of a down cycle for us, no argument there) over nearly a decade period of time, the Predators averaged 100 points a season and made the playoffs 7 out of 8 seasons.

This year we barely cracked 80 points and really never had a chance at the playoffs.

Do you really think this year is a "normal, typical" year for the Preds? Just go back and look at your own post- this season is nowhere near most of those seasons......

Now, if you want to define and judge every season by "won the Stanley Cup or didn't", then yeah, I guess this is a typical season....

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
It is a matter of perspective.

You can say: 3 of the last 6 years the Predators have missed the playoffs.

or

you can say 2 of the last 4 years the Predators were eliminated in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The truth is somewhere in the middle ... as always.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I must be in the twilight zone or something, but to me your post does a great job of making my point.

Before the shortened lockout season (the start of a down cycle for us, no argument there) over nearly a decade period of time, the Predators averaged 100 points a season and made the playoffs 7 out of 8 seasons.

This year we barely cracked 80 points and really never had a chance at the playoffs.

Do you really think this year is a "normal, typical" year for the Preds? Just go back and look at your own post- this season is nowhere near most of those seasons......

Now, if you want to define and judge every season by "won the Stanley Cup or didn't", then yeah, I guess this is a typical season....

No i judge it by 3 great seasons in 15 years that did not even bring a division or western conference title and mostly turned into 1st round exits. Sorry but i dont see 3-4 good seasons as the Predators norm. This year however fit the majority.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Certainly didn't expect the Preds to win both of these games. Maybe one, but not both! I really think that both the ducks and sharks thought these games would be easy wins.

Really nice job Carter Hutton and Patric Hornqvist!! Good job taking one on the chin, literally, and nullifying their PP! I used to be a fan of Joe Thornton, until we played them in the playoffs and all he did was fall down like he was shot when he was hit by anyone, even someone much smaller.

Looking at the TOI charts, Weber's shift ended 3 seconds before Josi scored. I guess that Weber did just pass the puck and got off the ice. Weber probably wasn't even sitting down yet when Josi scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad