Post-Game Talk: Predators at San Jose, 9:30 PM CDT

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Seriously, when is the last time we have played a better 5 periods of hockey than the 5 played last night and tonight?

Also, another point for Jarnkrok, and we now have four 20 goal scorers. According to twitter that is the first time since 07-08- crazy stat if true..

And I know he hasn't had to do a whole lot tonight, but I have more and more confidence when Carter Hutton is in net- looks like he has a ton of it himself out there now......

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Josi and we are up 3-0. It hasn't really been that much of a trainwreck season it just seemed that way because of the bad stretches where they played horrible. People forget the wins and just remember the bad losses.

Really, if you get right down to it, it is our play at home this year that really cost us a playoff spot. We have been pretty darn good on the road all season- we have some very impressive wins (2 x over Chicago, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, etc)

It wasn't just the 1-5 homestand after the Olympics- 17-17-5 overall. If we had had anything close to our normal home record, we would easily be in the playoffs..

Also, how about this- if the Preds win this game tonight without going to shootout, we will have the same number of ROW wins as Minnesota.

Not saying we don't have a bunch of issues, but we really weren't that far away from having a pretty good season....

i really hope all the hand wringers and teeth gnashers can get this point through their heads… we are not that bad a team… we are going to miss the playoffs by what basically boils down to being really bad at shootouts… and thats playing 51 games without Rinne..

we do not need to blow this thing up, period. next year we should be back in the playoffs and the year after we should be back as a legit contender.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Really, if you get right down to it, it is our play at home this year that really cost us a playoff spot. We have been pretty darn good on the road all season- we have some very impressive wins (2 x over Chicago, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, etc)

It wasn't just the 1-5 homestand after the Olympics- 17-17-5 overall. If we had had anything close to our normal home record, we would easily be in the playoffs..

Also, how about this- if the Preds win this game tonight without going to shootout, we will have the same number of ROW wins as Minnesota.

Not saying we don't have a bunch of issues, but we really weren't that far away from having a pretty good season....
Or a healthy Rinne all year...c'est la vie. Seems like a different team since Legwand left.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Seriously, when is the last time we have played a better 5 periods of hockey than the 5 played last night and tonight?

Also, another point for Jarnkrok, and we now have four 20 goal scorers. According to twitter that is the first time since 07-08- crazy stat if true..

And I know he hasn't had to do a whole lot tonight, but I have more and more confidence when Carter Hutton is in net- looks like he has a ton of it himself out there now......

the other myth of this season that needs to be exploded is that Poile screwed up by signing Hutton instead of some nameless/faceless "veteran" who would have saved the season when Rinne went down.

Hutton has proven he is a capable NHL backup. I expect him to be signed to a two year deal this summer, provided someone else doesn't poach him.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Our offense hasn't been nearly as horrible as we like to make it out to be this year. A healthy Rinne all year & we'd be in the playoffs for sure. Still not where we need it to be..but the development of Forsberg will be key..Wilson settling in at center will be key as well. With Jarnkrok looking more & more like a stud, there seems to be some hope.

I don't see Trotz going anywhere this offseason..he could make a good case in his favor.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Our offense hasn't been nearly as horrible as we like to make it out to be this year. A healthy Rinne all year & we'd be in the playoffs for sure. Still not where we need it to be..but the development of Forsberg will be key..Wilson settling in at center will be key as well. With Jarnkrok looking more & more like a stud, there seems to be some hope.

I don't see Trotz going anywhere this offseason..he could make a good case in his favor.

Eh the offense has still been fairly bad. It has played a bit better lately. Still could use some talent via trade or FA. I hold out a wild hope that Stasny makes it to UFA and Poile grabs him and pairs him with Smith next season. Pipe dream I know.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
how was that not tripping or slashing for the guy that took out wilson in the front of the net there?

ChesterCopperpot1*

Not to be "that guy" and I don't want to root for us to lose, but I think the fact that we are playing somewhat well will save Trotz and/or Poile's job. We need change at the top, and I am not sure this will happen now.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Hutton is a serviceable goaltender when he's not getting hung out to dry and can play with confidence. Certainly a good backup when he's on. If he can figure out how to do that all the time we could have a very good tandem here.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Its amazing what 5 good periods of hockey will do for your outlook. This is basically the same team minus Legwand and add Hook. The fact still remains the team offense was 23rd in the league before the Ducks game. May have changed but it is still suspect. Also the PK has hurt this year it was 24th very unusual for the Preds.

On another note for the Smith pumpers It has been 12 games since his last goal and has just 4 points in those 12. Not his minutes not who hes playin on a line with in fact Hook should have helped him. Just pointing out the fact that the streak I talked about for him has been a negative streak instead of a scoring streak.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Hutton is a serviceable goaltender when he's not getting hung out to dry and can play with confidence. Certainly a good backup when he's on. If he can figure out how to do that all the time we could have a very good tandem here.

I agree, but I'm starting to think he may have more of an upside than just "serviceable"

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
How did hornqvist get called for a slashing there? Maybe I just missed it but it looked like everyone bumped thorton, words were exchanged and then thorton landed a right hand on horn before they got broken up.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Congrats to Hutton on his first NHL shutout. After what he's gone through this season the guy deserves it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hope Dallas loses tomorrow. Take a miracle to catch them, but would love to see them sweat a bit if they drop one to Florida and we beat them Tuesday.

Great win tonight for the second half of a back-to-back. Congrats to Hutton.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Its amazing what 5 good periods of hockey will do for your outlook. This is basically the same team minus Legwand and add Hook. The fact still remains the team offense was 23rd in the league before the Ducks game. May have changed but it is still suspect. Also the PK has hurt this year it was 24th very unusual for the Preds.

On another note for the Smith pumpers It has been 12 games since his last goal and has just 4 points in those 12. Not his minutes not who hes playin on a line with in fact Hook should have helped him. Just pointing out the fact that the streak I talked about for him has been a negative streak instead of a scoring streak.

Never change :laugh:

I doubt anybody here is a "Smith pumper" you just seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan

No, don't be persuaded by a few anomalous games. He needs to go already. Preds winning when the pressure is off them should not prompt the preds to give him another chance.

If anything, it just proves he should've moved Cullen to the wing earlier (I know he's excellent at faceoffs but he was ineffective at center otherwise, we all noticed it). I wouldn't even trust him to keep that line together next season anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00