Post-Game Talk: Predators at Rangers 12/10/2013

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Hockey is not fun right now. And for the first time in 25+ years of being a fan of this team, I'm in possession of a ticket to a game and am considering not going.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
This isn't the way a 9 game home stand should start. I don't know what else to say anymore. 5 out of the last 6 PGT's have been a repeat of the last. Nothing more left to do but drink.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
so, do we feel a bit silly with .gifs that have Torts mentioning that he didn't practice offense, or the Torts da Clown nonsense. AV has just made it clear this team doesn't have the personnel to play offensive hockey. So, if he can't run a shutdown strategy this season we're going nowhere.

And we're left with Sather evaluating offensive players again. Welcome to 1998!

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
so, do we feel a bit silly with .gifs that have Torts mentioning that he didn't practice offense, or the Torts da Clown nonsense. AV has just made it clear this team doesn't have the personnel to play offensive hockey. So, if he can't run a shutdown strategy this season we're going nowhere.

And we're left with Sather evaluating offensive players again. Welcome to 1998!

Not at all. We weren't going to win anything with Tortorella and lunch pail hockey. That is just the reality of it. I'd much rather go for what AV is trying to build towards. Its going to take some time unfortunately.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The Canucks played defensive hockey. During their heyday of a couple of years ago they also always had fast forwards who were in sync with each other and at least one defenceman who could hammer the puck. What they might have been lacking was what is known as 'grit' and pushback, which they tried to address by drafting a player like Kassian. A fairly balanced team in the way they played.
Are they the only team in the league capable of playing AV's style of defence, i.e. were they that special and the Rangers are that un-special?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
The Canucks played defensive hockey. During their heyday of a couple of years ago they also always had fast forwards who were in sync with each other and at least one defenceman who could hammer the puck. What they might have been lacking was what is known as 'grit' and pushback, which they tried to address by drafting a player like Kassian. A fairly balanced team in the way they played.
Are they the only team in the league capable of playing AV's style of defence, i.e. were they that special and the Rangers are that un-special?

AV's style of defense was not allowing the team to have the puck. But the reason why the Rangers struggle so mightily is that they beat themselves. They make too many "non-plays" with the puck. Half the players on this team move the puck with no purpose. A couple errant passes on this team is scrambling. They move the puck to and poorly and you CAN'T do that in a puck possession system.

Thats is just something that has to change if this team wants to be a contender.

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Well that was a horrible game and I agree with AV.

Look at the way the Ducks, Kings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, and even the damn Canucks are constructed. They have two lines that are a threat to score. They have two legit lines that can score. A shake up needs to happen and I think it will happen soon.

The only untouchables are McD, Lundqvist, Nash, and Kreider. Stepan is going if you like it or not for the right price. We need a major overhaul and need to stop adding piece by piece which gets us no where. Richards gets bought out during the off season and Sather along with AV by his side make a splash in the FA market this off season. It is sad to see our core go but my God, we are pretty damn horrible.

nikonsniper*

I knew this game was over when i saw who was in net for the Preds.

Its uncanny how we get slaughtered by back-ups and 3rd stringers.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
AV's style of defense was not allowing the team to have the puck. But the reason why the Rangers struggle so mightily is that they beat themselves. They make too many "non-plays" with the puck. Half the players on this team move the puck with no purpose. Thats is just something that has to change if this team wants to be a contender.

I'm saying that they were not an irresponsible team such as, oh, the Leafs with reckless offensive forays.
The Rangers beat themselves in their own heads, before they even step onto the ice most of the time. Mentally, they are in a bad spot.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Well that was a horrible game and I agree with AV.

Look at the way the Ducks, Kings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, and even the damn Canucks are constructed. They have two lines that are a threat to score. They have two legit lines that can score. A shake up needs to happen and I think it will happen soon.

The only untouchables are McD, Lundqvist, Nash, and Kreider. Stepan is going if you like it or not for the right price. We need a major overhaul and need to stop adding piece by piece which gets us no where. Richards gets bought out during the off season and Sather along with AV by his side make a splash in the FA market this off season. It is sad to see our core go but my God, we are pretty damn horrible.

Great post, and I totally agree with that list of untouchables. EVERYONE else is expendable at this point.

NYRANGERAMI*

I like what AV said after the game as well as it being concerning. He stated "I dont have the personnel to play the game i want to play, which is more offensive"...he is saying the players i have couldn't score even if we used soccer nets. Sorry for Hank who is being hung out to dry, you can only hold a bad team up for so long. Even defensively were blowing alot of plays, leading to alot of scoring chances for the opposition. Without D you aint got a chance even if you have the best goalie in history in net, whomever you consider the best goalie in history just fill in the blank.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Oh by the way, Tortorella's daughter just chimed in on Twitter...

@BrittanyKellen: NYR and MSG ... You got want you want right? Hopefully you find some identity.

Wow...haha

Not there. She must have taken it down.

Brittany Tortorella ‏@brittanykellen 11 Nov
Proud sister of an Army Ranger. U will always be my little brother that I will worry about everyday. ???????? pic.twitter.com/EiK1NBqJxS

Totorella's son is a Ranger (Army).

theJUMPER

Feb 25, 2012
I know people like to compare to the 2011 team,

but has anybody noticed this dcorp got old, like really fast?

Sans Mcd, of course.

Part of me thinks MDZ won't even be in the league by 30. Staal is a shell of himself and Girardi is still that reliable truck, but his oil is leaking on the driveway.

No way that 2011 team does anything with its d corp playing the way they are currently.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tortorella hates twitter. He can't be happy with his kid. Her father got himself fired. He didn't realize how bad the relationship was between the players and him. Dubinsky discussed his falling out in 11-12 with Tortorella.

The Rangers needed to have a really good home stand here. 18 points. They needed 14. They have 1 out of a possible 6.

6 more games to go.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
The Good: I fell asleep sitting in front of my laptop 30 minutes before the game started. When I woke up, it was 2-0 Preds and I decided to go to bed.

The Better: I have learned my lesson and I definitely won't watch the replay.

I hope everyone on this team is miserable.

Oh, and, how about calling up Miller :D :cry:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think it's concerning that Vigneault has spent so much time disparaging a defensive corps that has collectively won 14 more playoff games than he has in the past couple of springs. You'd think they were one of the worst defensive groups in the league, not one of the better ones.

Vigneault's system has always been harder for defensemen to pick up. Even solid top pairing caliber players like Hamhuis and Garrison struggled a bit when they first arrived in Vancouver. Kind of tough when it's the entire group making that transition at the same time.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I think it's concerning that Vigneault has spent so much time disparaging a defensive corps that has collectively won 14 more playoff games than he has in the past couple of springs. You'd think they were one of the worst defensive groups in the league, not one of the better ones.

Vigneault's system has always been harder for defensemen to pick up. Even solid top pairing caliber players like Hamhuis and Garrison struggled a bit when they first arrived in Vancouver. Kind of tough when it's the entire group making that transition at the same time.

Well, for the Rangers D corps the biggest issue right now, imo, is our point play in the O zone. Our Dmen are a horror show in the offensive zone which leads to a lot of offensive chances for the other team.

They can't shoot very well, they force plays along the boards, they don't lateral skate anywhere near the level required. AV's system here seems to be really predicated on Dmen getting very involved in the offense. Our defensemen are just floundering in that regard outside of McD.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The end of the world is near. Its December. Its dark outside. Staal gets another concussion. We start a loosing streak at home. Callahan is injured. The world around us is in chaos. Obama's home page doesn't work. What do we do? Suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad