Post-Game Talk: Predators 2, Penguins 1 (SO) - 1 Point > 0 Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope we give Jarry a normal game. One at home, not in the back end of b2b.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
If team Japan is located in Pittsburgh, PA, playing as a member of the NHL, and changed their name to the Penguins, then, yes.

Everyone here loves stats eh? Feast: Playoff Probabilities Report | Hockey-Reference.com

Dont you know everything is fine and we shouldnt sorry about not making the playoffs? :)

I think we will make it. But JR better make our 1st lottery protected if/when he trades it.

Imagine we trade out 1st, miss the playoffs and the team we traded it to wins Dahlin with our Magic bean.... dont know if there is enough bridges to jump from after a gut punch like that.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Dont you know everything is fine and we shouldnt sorry about not making the playoffs? :)

I think we will make it. But JR better make our 1st lottery protected if/when he trades it.

Imagine we trade out 1st, miss the playoffs and the team we traded it to wins Dahlin with our Magic bean.... dont know if there is enough bridges to jump from after a gut punch like that.

I just cross my fingers Sid/Geno and now even Kessel dont miss any games. There is no way they can do it without them right now.

If all fails, Pittsburgh likes to claim it is the City of Bridges, right?

0426_city-of-bridges.jpg

Reactions: deakka

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

If we didn't make the playoffs then we would get a great pick (provided its not traded) and have a full off-season of rest. A great draft choice made plus redemption and purpose going into next season...why not? I highly doubt they'd miss it next year

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I know I'm not supposed to take this stat seriously, but I checked our plus minus a minute ago and good goddamn is it ugly. Couple guys are even. Kessel's a plus. Everyone else looks like they play for the Avalanche.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's Nick Kypreos' opinion.

And it came kind of out of left field because the segment began with both Ron McLean and Elliotte Friedman talking about the Pens looking for offense and making a last minute push for Matt Duchene.

So it almost seemed like Kypreos decided to put his own spin on why the Pens are struggling right now.

Nick is a moron, I don't watch Sportsnet at all or CBC so I never catch the outlandish crap he throws out, but honestly, it doesn't shock me with this team's mental toughness right now, or lack thereof.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I posted the Kypreos segment in the Cap thread.
More interesting was the lead in where they mentioned Spezza possibly being a trade piece for DAL. Nick said Sid's struggling and may be "irritated" looking around that room with no Kunitz, Cullen, Bones, etc. there anymore...

I don't think it's that far fetched or out there really to suggest JR may want a vet. But i think it'd be one that can play and knock the Sheahan's, McKegg's, Rowney's, Kuhnackl's etc. down the lineup/in the press box.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Honestly, big minus to Sullivan. You know Letang is struggling and this team needed a win, so why the **** is Kessel, who has been playing great as of late, not being given a shootout spot.

This!!!! I was absolutely baffled as to why Herpty Derpty would be rewarded with a shootout spot instead of Phil who'se been absolute money as a gamewinner lately.

As soon as Letang was shown on the ice getting ready to shoot I said to the wife "yep where's the fork...we're done." And sure enough... :(

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sheahan is a 4th line center making 2 million. The pens need to address the 3rd line and a upgrade at LW. Sprong will be here sometime this year and room has to be made for his RW position. Letang will come around and with the D healthy, it is good enough. Not a fan of Olli as a top 4 with his skating and can get owned down low. But pens love his upside and character so he is not going to be moved. But if Buffalo is looking to trade Kane, then I certainly make an offer. He is the finisher and physical LW guy who Sid can make into a real big time player.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Sid needs to start playing better himself before I'd worry about him making someone else into a big time player. His play lately has been a very big problem. I mean, Letang who is having an awful season is tied with him in points and plus minus. I know plus minus isn't the greatest stat but it's very disconcerting when your #1 centre is getting out produced so badly by other teams 5 on 5.

Kessel looks like the guy who cares the most on this team. He's tied for 4th in league scoring.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sid needs to start playing better himself before I'd worry about him making someone else into a big time player. His play lately has been a very big problem. I mean, Letang who is having an awful season is tied with him in points and plus minus. I know plus minus isn't the greatest stat but it's very disconcerting when your #1 centre is getting out produced so badly by other teams 5 on 5.

Kessel looks like the guy who cares the most on this team. He's tied for 4th in league scoring.

I wonder if its because hes the only real star on the pens who played on truly bad teams. The leafs were awful for a good chunk of his time there, and Im sure he wants nothing to do with that. Think about it, most of the rest of this team has only played with the Pens and have never really missed the playoffs (Murray, Sid, Geno, Letang, Maatta, Dumo, pretty much all of the young guys). We have guys on this roster who literally have never experienced a season where they havent won the cup.

This team doesnt need veteran leadership, they need veteran hunger. They need their own Borque or Guerin or heck even Hossa who has been around long enough without a cup and is willing to sell out to get one.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel last night's game was their best game on the tail end of the b2bs.

They got scoring from unthought of people (Dumo) plus guys slumping (Rust) and they lost in the skills competition.

Probably the least B2B game to have issue with save the penalties. I find it weird the Pens have been hit with two times of having a guy get double minors without an injury attached to it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel last night's game was their best game on the tail end of the b2bs.

They got scoring from unthought of people (Dumo) plus guys slumping (Rust) and they lost in the skills competition.

Probably the least B2B game to have issue with save the penalties. I find it weird the Pens have been hit with two times of having a guy get double minors without an injury attached to it.

In my more paranoid moments, I wonder if the refs weren't happy with Rutherford publicly stating why he was trading for Reaves. 86 minor penalties in 19 games; that's a stat you'd really want to get under control.

As long as this team can always follow up a bad night with a good one, I'll never completely lose faith that this team has the basic talent levels and desire there somewhere.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Refs can be vindictive.

But I'm going with being a step behind the play causing the penalties. With a dose of general frustration.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maybe Sid is getting tired of watching sheary drive by tip ins miss. Maybe Hornqvist who has the range of a phone booth is not the fit. Maybe kane would be a great fit.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
At least we got a point

At least Murray didn´t loose 3 consecutive games with shootouts against Nashville

Phil his still best Pens forward overall (offensive no discussion, defensive is really great too ) and leaving on a ice his heart and breath.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If this team is going to be top heavy (like 2013-14), then the key players need to be (positive) factors.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I posted the Kypreos segment in the Cap thread.
More interesting was the lead in where they mentioned Spezza possibly being a trade piece for DAL. Nick said Sid's struggling and may be "irritated" looking around that room with no Kunitz, Cullen, Bones, etc. there anymore...

I don't think it's that far fetched or out there really to suggest JR may want a vet. But i think it'd be one that can play and knock the Sheahan's, McKegg's, Rowney's, Kuhnackl's etc. down the lineup/in the press box.

Here is what I don't believe...

Sid is an extremely mentally tough guy who knows the business. He lives hockey. He breathes the sport. He's not an idiot. So he knows this is a business therefore it wasn't going to be MAF/Kunitz/etc. in the room each year. Eventually he would have to be the guy to be the Kunitz/Cullen/etc. Well... the time is now with this team's build.

So if he's irritated looking around the room, that's on him. At some point he was going to turn into the leader. It's that time. Go lead.

Reactions: 66-30-33

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe Crosby is just not the Cullen/Guerin type leader. Hes definitely a lead by example kind of guy, but being as quiet and reserved as he is I can see him not being a vocal dude in the clubhouse. All speculation, of course, but maybe its got to come from someone like Malkin or Horny instead.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here is what I don't believe...

Sid is an extremely mentally tough guy who knows the business. He lives hockey. He breathes the sport. He's not an idiot. So he knows this is a business therefore it wasn't going to be MAF/Kunitz/etc. in the room each year. Eventually he would have to be the guy to be the Kunitz/Cullen/etc. Well... the time is now with this team's build.

So if he's irritated looking around the room, that's on him. At some point he was going to turn into the leader. It's that time. Go lead.

It's a hell of a lot easier to lead if you've got a lot of guys who are leaders themselves. Both in terms of guys who can look after themselves, and guys who can reinforce your message and look after others when you're busy.

Every captain should be able to look around the room and see lieutenants and sergeants.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe Sid is getting tired of watching sheary drive by tip ins miss. Maybe Hornqvist who has the range of a phone booth is not the fit. Maybe kane would be a great fit.
Sheary is 3rd in goals on the team, and leading the team in 5v5 goals. His assists have dropped off a lot from last year, but he's on pace for 26 goals. He's an odd choice of guys to criticize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad