Low Effort GDT Pre season Sens vs Habs 3rd edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
A guy like Reaves, McGrattan or Probert would be the type of player I want on the 4th line. Just one player like that would make other teams' think twice about taking runs at our skilled players.

I like Ostapchuk, Kleven, Boucher and Kastelic as future potential players who can be physically tough too; however, none of them are like the 3 above players..
More like a unicorn like Neil. A guy that is good at fighting, but more importantly, is a good enough player to play a regular shift.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Why are we talking about this X guy? He's been a total non-factor in pre-season. He's had to fight twice, and has been basically neutered. I don't remember any big hits, all he's done is one tiny shove after the whistle. He's nothing like he was in those rookie showcase games now that he's playing against men. He was an oversized overager bully picking on 17yr old kids in the OHL last season. He won't be able to do this against men in the NHL or AHL, and this pre-season is proof of that. Fight him once, and he shrivels up and is kept in check.

I'm more worried about Anderson being a baby going full Jay Beagle, trying to crosscheck Stutzle in the face for being too good at hockey. He has a history of being a pouty baby when he starts losing. Gallagher also has a history of being a cry baby when things don't go his way.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
That was because no one knew it was dirty at the time. It looked like coincidental contact with the goalie.

Later in the game Brady and Waty were bumping the goalie as often as they could. Not much else you can do when it’s the goalie other then run him hard and get a 5 and a game.

Everyone got a good look at it after the game and the guy was suspended.

Norris’ injury was more of a lack of response, though again, it didn’t look malicious or a particularly big hit so it’s hard to get the blood boiling.

Shit still does happen in hockey, and not all of it demands retribution.

Agreed on that last line, however, I'm still convinced the Sens are pushovers. I 100% believe Anderson from MTL can walk up to Stutzle and randomly punch him in the face and break his jaw and there's absolutely nothing Ottawa will do about it. This is the softest team we've had since the Jacques Martin days (in terms of deterrence or ability to respond).

I think Brady is tough and probably would try "something", but he should be doing power forward things like scoring and hitting, not fighting battles that should be coming from the 3rd/4th line.

Boucher is a hitter who can score, he’s not a 4th line goon. We don’t have one of those.

Not do we need one. Other teams don’t dress guys who fight but can’t play.

I like the idea of calling up Yablonski from the AHL if you need him on some nights.

That was a scary dude.

Yeah, this notion that Boucher is the next Wilson needs to die. He's not a fighter. He hits, that is all.
I also agree with the bottom there. I don't think we need a regular goon. But if we had a psychopath in Belleville that could be called up, I'd be happy.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The same could have been accomplished by not dropping the gloves and letting X take a roughing.

For example:

Neil is one of my absolute favourite Sens of all time. He had to be really smart about picking his spots because Jacques wouldn’t have let him make the team otherwise. Those lessons served him the rest of his career.

Neil was awesome
Especially in the 5th game vs NYR in 2017 where he turned the momentum in our favor with a big hit and 12 PIM

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
A guy like Reaves, McGrattan or Probert would be the type of player I want on the 4th line. Just one player like that would make other teams' think twice about taking runs at our skilled players.

I like Ostapchuk, Kleven, Boucher and Kastelic as future potential players who can be physically tough too; however, none of them are like the 3 above players..
I agree, but there is only one of those guys in the league now. The problem is that they aren’t all over junior anymore, and they aren’t guys who can play regular NHL minutes.

We’re talking about unicorns, of Which Brady is one. We’ll need to draft more guys like that who can play if we want that toughness because guys like McG and Reeves aren’t in the draft anymore.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agreed on that last line, however, I'm still convinced the Sens are pushovers. I 100% believe Anderson from MTL can walk up to Stutzle and randomly punch him in the face and break his jaw and there's absolutely nothing Ottawa will do about it. This is the softest team we've had since the Jacques Martin days (in terms of deterrence or ability to respond).

I think Brady is tough and probably would try "something", but he should be doing power forward things like scoring and hitting, not fighting battles that should be coming from the 3rd/4th line.

Yeah, this notion that Boucher is the next Wilson needs to die. He's not a fighter. He hits, that is all.
I also agree with the bottom there. I don't think we need a regular goon. But if we had a psychopath in Belleville that could be called up, I'd be happy.
Yeah I mean the tougher guys that we have in the system haven’t made the team yet (Kastelic, Kleven, Ostapchuk, Boucher) but Brady does like to scrap. He won’t in pre season unless something lame happens though I bet.

I think Brady would beat the shit out of Anderson if he did that, no doubt in my mind. Brady has fought most of the big boys, and Anderson isn’t a noted fighter either.

Having said that, I agree that we’re not sitting with A Chara, Carkner, Neil, McGratton like we used to lol.

Reactions: h2

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Feels like we should equip ourselves with a Ryan Reaves for next year if we want to push deep
PO are nasty nowadays and other teams will try be all over Timmy
it has already started in preseason lol

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Feels like we should equip ourselves with a Ryan Reaves for next year if we want to push deep
He must be protected

Reactions: Yak

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What does Ryan Reaves do about that? If you're talking about being in the playoffs next year, Stuetzle will be 22 years old. He needs to be heavy enough and strong enough to play through playoff hockey. Having a nuclear deterrent doesn't result in other teams not playing hard hockey.

Some guys aren't cut out for playoff hockey. Look at the team down the road. We'll see when our guys get there what we have. But at this time it looks to me like we've got a group of guys that will battle.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Scott Mayfield of the NY Islanders is a 29 yr old UFA who is a RD & could fill two roles this team needs if they were to trade for him at the TDL. Mayfield is a decent defencemen & could play a 3rd pairing roll especially if this team is headed to the post season. He has been very good with the NYI over the yrs & he is a big tough player who will drop them & is also a good fighter. I don't think it would cost much to acquire him & re-sign him for a few yrs until some of our other guys are ready to take on this role, if required.

Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher doesn't even seem that physical to me if we're going to be quite honest. Mind you I only saw a handful of 67's games last season and a few rookie games so it's a limited sample size but doing a massive hit once every 2 months doesn't necessarily make you a physical player.

People are still living off the high of when he hit someone through the glass because that's all he's really done since being drafted but the majority of the time I just see a player who is simply apart of the play but not some physically imposing force like other notables. He's not even that aggressive. Brady Stonehouse (67's teammate) who is like 5'9 comes off as way more aggressive to me.

That being said I hope he can change this opinion as I do like the guy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No similarities. One is an F; other is a D. One is a big fighter; the other is a hitter.
I agree (last part), but I think the post I replied to was a comparison between Boucher and Wilson (Capitals).

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
What does Ryan Reaves do about that? If you're talking about being in the playoffs next year, Stuetzle will be 22 years old. He needs to be heavy enough and strong enough to play through playoff hockey. Having a nuclear deterrent doesn't result in other teams not playing hard hockey.

Some guys aren't cut out for playoff hockey. Look at the team down the road. We'll see when our guys get there what we have. But at this time it looks to me like we've got a group of guys that will battle.
Im talking about having a deterrent so other teams don't abuse our players

Last edited:
Reactions: Loach

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Im talking about having a deterrent so other teams don't abuse our players
They don’t really exist as you’re describing them though. Reeves and Lucic are from a past time. Todays guys are like Kastelic, and if you’re super lucky, Wilson, and Brady, guys that can play significant roles on the team as well.

Nobody really has an “enforcer” spot in the lineup, and those guys are no longer coming up through juniors. Seems like you have to be able to play at all levels now, and you can’t fight a ton in junior anymore.

Reactions: Emrasie

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Boucher doesn't even seem that physical to me if we're going to be quite honest. Mind you I only saw a handful of 67's games last season and a few rookie games so it's a limited sample size but doing a massive hit once every 2 months doesn't necessarily make you a physical player.

People are still living off the high of when he hit someone through the glass because that's all he's really done since being drafted but the majority of the time I just see a player who is simply apart of the play but not some physically imposing force like other notables. He's not even that aggressive. Brady Stonehouse (67's teammate) who is like 5'9 comes off as way more aggressive to me.

That being said I hope he can change this opinion as I do like the guy
I haven't seen the physicality either. Mind you I did not watch the entirety of the preseason games where he played, but from what I saw there was zero hits. It was to the point where I wondered if they specifically told him not to.

Reactions: Pinto Bean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad