GDT: Pre-Season New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | Sept. 26 | 7:00PM | OTW 4-3

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Mayfield and Sbisa were disasters tonight.

Aside from those two, I am very impressed and excited about this season. Even though the Islanders will likely struggle over 82 games, the young and developing talent is no joke. Barzal and Pulock being the centerpieces.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry... but “weak sauce” Barzal could only get a secondary assist on that Hickey goal... So, that whole play didn’t really count. :sarcasm:

Nelson played pretty well positionally. Looked like a quality third line center tonight. And, I’m far from being a Nelson fan.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Lehner has made like 5 huge saves this game and 2 of the goals were screened.

Lehner's father was Lundqvist's goalie coach in Sweden, Robin and Hank know each other very well and Lehner is usually great when inspired, a true big game goalie. When really inspired he may knock down somebody as well..... ;-)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nelson has more confidence thus far. Holding onto the puck longer, looking to make plays.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Nelson has more confidence thus far. Holding onto the puck longer, looking to make plays.
I didn't see most of the game but if this can be the case going forward, we have a big hole filled on our roster. I don't have much confidence that it will be the case for the long term, but if Nelson actually became what we thought/hoped he could be, our team is that much better.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I could only watch the highlights, the most surprising thing of all was on Ludqvist's save on the Pulock clapbomb.

1- I bet the Queen's hand looked a lot like the Iceland goalie when he saved Fulton Reed's shot in D2 Mighty Ducks.

2- BROCK NELSON CHECKED A GUY AFTER THE WHISTLE AND ACTUALLY LOOKED MEAN!

Keep it going boys. LGI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I didn't see most of the game but if this can be the case going forward, we have a big hole filled on our roster. I don't have much confidence that it will be the case for the long term, but if Nelson actually became what we thought/hoped he could be, our team is that much better.

He was solid, I wouldn’t say he will ever be what he thought/hoped for.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
As long as the Isles can keep teams around 25 shots a game they are going to have a chance to win every night.

They will score, that won't be a problem. Just keep the shots against down.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Nelson even recovered a puck behind the net!
Here's the thing about Nelson for me. Last year, in the first 10 or so games, I recall that he used to stick his nose in, do some hitting, and more importantly seemed willing to take hits to make a play. I remember sitting at games early in the season, stunned to see him to it. Can Trotz get him to do it for 82 games?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's the thing about Nelson for me. Last year, in the first 10 or so games, I recall that he used to stick his nose in, do some hitting, and more importantly seemed willing to take hits to make a play. I remember sitting at games early in the season, stunned to see him to it. Can Trotz get him to do it for 82 games?

I don't think Nelson plays a full season here, it's likely he's being showcased to trade him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't think Nelson plays a full season here, it's likely he's being showcased to trade him.

What's the least amount of return for him that the team will accept? A third?

If they have any confidence at all that Kovar will be able to play in the NHL, I'd take a second or a 3rd for him. Not looking to explicitly tank necessarily but I am looking to maximize assets that will probably leave after this year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What's the least amount of return for him that the team will accept? A third?

If they have any confidence at all that Kovar will be able to play in the NHL, I'd take a second or a 3rd for him. Not looking to explicitly tank necessarily but I am looking to maximize assets that will probably leave after this year.

He's worth at least a second rounder I'd say.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Nelson played pretty well positionally. Looked like a quality third line center tonight. And, I’m far from being a Nelson fan.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I generally can’t stand how Nelson plays. He finally looked like a center. Don’t have the numbers but from the eye test did really well on faceoffs.

On a different note, listening to Rosen and Micheletti gush over Lundquist was vomit inducing. They’re going on about great saves, when he didn’t move, don’t know if he even saw some of the shots and the puck hit him.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Agreed, I generally can’t stand how Nelson plays. He finally looked like a center. Don’t have the numbers but from the eye test did really well on faceoffs.
Micheletti/Rosen were praising Nelson’s face offs all night and I was like “ no way.. Brock sucks at draws.”

Lo and behold the stat line from Bizarro Square Garden last night- Nelson won 15 out of 19 face offs Holy crap! Cizikas won 9 of 12!

On the flip side Filpulla ( Who is touted as good on draws)went 0 for 8.

Winning draws..lower shot totals..the Trotz effect.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad