GDT: pre-season LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights 7:00pm 9/28/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was really disappointed with MacDermid's preseason as a whole. Chasing a lot, thinking too much, being generally ineffective.

Fantenberg bugs me as always. He'll have a shift like that one where he murdered Haula, took the puck hard to the net himself, and was flying around making plays. Then he plays another 20 minutes and does nothing but turn the puck over. I've had about enough of him in a Kings uni. Just no identity. Not big, not good offensively, not great defensively, soft, and far too inconsistent to be relied on. Flashes aren't enough at this level.

LaDue looks better than those two right not, but not by much. He's Fantenberg but RHD and tries harder but at least he has some offensive upside. He's already shown he can be a PP weapon and get his shots thru. Fantenberg got his shot blocked twice in 2 seconds.

Brickley...best of that group by a country mile. All the tools. Raw, makes mistakes, but the upside is unmistakable and he thinks the game at a top-pairing level.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Muzzin just looked up, he could've picked the top half of the net. Oh well, giving up one goal when it was the varsity vs the freshmen isn't too bad.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wagner is going to be an effective bottom sixer. Luff...I'm not impressed. Like Fantenberg but at forward. What does he do? JAD is a stud in the making, kid does it all, lots of effort on D, I think he could be the 4c right now the same way amadio was last year, but I think he's better served dominating and getting minutes...unfortunate case where an AHL season would be best.

Reactions: BigKing

member 88115

Thompson should go before Clifford. I was expecting more grit and seeing none. Brings no offense.

Good game from Kempe, Muzzin, Campbell and Wagner. Those boys stood out today. Props to MacDermid standing up for Kempe right away, even when he was against 3 big boys.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Also that last play by Theodore is what infuriates me about player evaluation.

VGK broadcast team going on and on about wow, look at that skating, evading two forecheckers.

...not even thinking out loud that a second and a half later, he iced the puck for no reason whatsoever.

People are fooled by flash very, very easily. The guy looks very good, and can do magical offensive things...but he's braindead defensively including with the puck, no IQ for anything outside of lugging the puck and moving the play forward.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Also that last play by Theodore is what infuriates me about player evaluation.

VGK broadcast team going on and on about wow, look at that skating, evading two forecheckers.

...not even thinking out loud that a second and a half later, he iced the puck for no reason whatsoever.

People are fooled by flash very, very easily. The guy looks very good, and can do magical offensive things...but he's braindead defensively including with the puck, no IQ for anything outside of lugging the puck and moving the play forward.
exactly what i was thinking when they did that bit

like guys, he iced the puck

made a spin move... and iced the puck

that's not a highlight.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thompson should go before Clifford. I was expecting more grit and seeing none. Brings no offense.

Good game from Kempe, Muzzin, Campbell and Wagner. Those boys stood out today. Props to MacDermid standing up for Kempe right away, even when he was against 3 big boys.

The 'problem' would be no 'veteran depth faceoff winning gritty C' without Thompson. Actually I don't know who would play C down there at all without him. Kings painted themselves into a corner. I'd take Shore over Thompson 100/100 times. And yes I DO think that's a problem because then you're riding Kopitar and Carter into the ground defensively. Sign Vermette or something? Shrug. Need someone who can play to be able to win some faceoffs and be responsible defensively. I know it might be popular around here to jettison Clifford and Thompson into orbit and run with like a Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli / Wagner-JAD-Lewis bottom six but that bottom line would get owned on the road.

Reactions: kingsofLA

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Both Clifford & Thompson need to be replaced by Etem (temporarily) and JAD

and whoever says JAD isn't ready, i'll bet you JAD will have a greater positive impact on the team than Thompson

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If JAD makes the line up Who does he replace?

Keeping in mind Brodzinski and Vilardi are in the graveyard...etem?

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Carter-Kempe
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Lewis-JAD?
Thompson I guess?

Makes sense to get him his 9 games at this point, especially given the injuries, that's for sure. But I wonder who the Kings were thinking would get bumped by Brodz or Vilardi even...

Reactions: Sol

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Both Clifford & Thompson need to be replaced by Etem (temporarily) and JAD

and whoever says JAD isn't ready, i'll bet you JAD will have a greater positive impact on the team than Thompson

I'm not willing ot argue against that because Thompson looks utterly worthless at this point.

However, the role we want Thompson to have is valuable, and not sure JAD fills it yet. It's more likely we need outside reinforcements there unless Lewis can convert to C or something. Unforutnately, Lewis is hovering in the low 40s for faceoffs, so...we might be the worst faceoff team in the league at this point since Thompson needs to get Old Yeller'ed.

member 88115

The 'problem' would be no 'veteran depth faceoff winning gritty C' without Thompson. Actually I don't know who would play C down there at all without him. Kings painted themselves into a corner. I'd take Shore over Thompson 100/100 times. And yes I DO think that's a problem because then you're riding Kopitar and Carter into the ground defensively. Sign Vermette or something? Shrug. Need someone who can play to be able to win some faceoffs and be responsible defensively. I know it might be popular around here to jettison Clifford and Thompson into orbit and run with like a Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli / Wagner-JAD-Lewis bottom six but that bottom line would get owned on the road.
I agree, but hoping Amadio takes some of the pressure off Kopitar and Carter. If LAs top 9 is solid, I actually don't care too much about our 4th line (even with Thompson on it, but don't like seeing him on the 3rd line). I'd rather our young guys like Wagner and JAD grow their offensive upside a bit more in the minors. My response was more on the Clifford comment being replaced, when Thompson seems to do less than Clifford.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad