GDT: Pre-season LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 9/29/23

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If Turcotte plays his way on to this team it should be between PLD and Fiala, not with Lewis and Grundstrom.
Im not sure PLD and Fiala belong together - though its the obvious arrangement. The value of Fiala is he's an alchemist - can turn a JAG (and maybe even JAD) into gold. PLD never been over 50% on faceoffs either. Do u think he could succeed playing with Kopi and Kempe on the wing? Id rather see Byfield and Turcotte battle it out for 3C... with the other going to wing.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Turcotte would be far better served with top 6 minutes in Ontario than 4th line situations with the Kings. Lizotte doesn't have his skill or pedigree, but he is a MUCH better 4th line player. Heart and soul, an irritator, plays a simple, straight forward game.

I have seen lots of folks saying stuff like this, but I have to ask if any of you paid attention to how badly the Kings 4th line was caved in last year. They forced poorly fitted offensively leaning kids into situations that require veteran panache and an understanding that your job isn't to score, but to change and build momentum. Kupari and Kaliyev struggled in those spots and the team suffered, and you guys want to do that all over again?

If Turcotte plays his way on to this team it should be between PLD and Fiala, not with Lewis and Grundstrom.

Laferriere has been impressive, but his time will come. His job this year is to impress in Ontario and force Blake to allow Arvidsson to leave as a free agent.

I think you are being unrealistic about Turcotte's offensive role with this team. You want him to play with the teams best distributor when he has had troubler finishing since he was drafted. Struggled to score goals in college, 18 in 91 AHL games, none in a dozen NHL games. Fiala needs finishers on his wing, he puts finishers in position to score, the logical person to be on that line is Kaliyev. If you insist on having Turcotte in a scoring line role, he'd be better playing with Kopitar and Kempe. But really, I think we are best letting the guy try and develop into a quality bottom six guy. I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility that he could challenge for the Moore role, and with Moore making $4m and the Kings possibly needing goaltending and def help at the deadline that would be a great thing if we organically saved $3m against the cap.

Laf is going to get his chances this season, it just may take some time. The jump from NCAA straight to the NHL isn't as super rare as certain posters here may think but it usually is for higher draft pick potential stars. If he is NHL ready he will go down and dominate and force himself onto the roster or get a chance when injuries happen. Just like with Turcotte it would be great if these guys could fill two bottom six roles for less than $2m combined. Grundstrom and Moore make a combined $5.3m, that savings could be really useful at the deadline.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The only reason I don't want Turcotte down is his name. Plugs are going to try to make a name for themselves scrambling his brains.

I'm old enough to remember Englund doing this last year, then this org picking him up and some posters here getting giddy about 'toughness,' then the actual games starting and him looking like the worst defenseman we've had since randy jones.

What I'd like to see at this point:

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Turcotte-PLD-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Thomas-Lizotte-Lewis
Grundstrom or Hodgson

send down JAD, Fagemo, Laf (who will be the first callup), Kaliyev (to get some actual minutes in and be the next man up, no point in spending another year complaining about his deployment, and he's still free of waivers). Flipflop Arvidsson and Turcotte maybe to check chemistry. I don't think you can waive Thomas until you see what he's got.

Doughty-Anderson
Gavrikov-Clarke
Spence-Roy
Moverare

Gives you options for up-one or down-one situations at the end of games as well as special teams

send down Bjornfot (claimed--needs a fresh start not here apparently), Connauton, Englund (send him to the ECHL, we need toughness that can play, not medicore toughness that can't take a regular shift without being a liability).

On the one hand, sending Kaliyev to the AHL would be a big hit to his confidence. On the other hand, he's gained absolutely zero confidence over the last two seasons with LA anyway and doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. Our second powerplay unit is so god damn obvious when feeding him one-timers, and his shot is not at the Ovechkin or Stamkos (or even Kempe) level for that to not even matter.

I know it's a faux pas around here to break up the Danault line, but I wonder if it might be worth it?

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Turcotte - Danault - Arvidsson
Fiala - PLD - Kaliyev
Moore - Lizotte - Thomas
Lewis

Losing Grundstrom and JAD wouldn't phase me. They contribute a little bit here and there but neither guys are difference-makers. Would rather see what Thomas can do.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Our second powerplay unit is so god damn obvious when feeding him one-timers
i don't think that's quite fair to kaliyev, durzi spent 90% of last season intentionally NOT feeding him while flinging shitty wrist shots into shin pads

kid needs a fair shake, i think he should get it this season

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
i don't think that's quite fair to kaliyev, durzi spent 90% of last season intentionally NOT feeding him while flinging shitty wrist shots into shin pads

kid needs a fair shake, i think he should get it this season
That’s true. f*** Durzi on that jealous ass bullshit.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Im not sure PLD and Fiala belong together - though its the obvious arrangement. The value of Fiala is he's an alchemist - can turn a JAG (and maybe even JAD) into gold. PLD never been over 50% on faceoffs either. Do u think he could succeed playing with Kopi and Kempe on the wing? Id rather see Byfield and Turcotte battle it out for 3C... with the other going to wing.

Moving PLD to wing is an interesting (if expensive) idea. Maybe Byfield would get a shot at center?

PLD - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Byfield - Fiala
Turcotte - Danault - Arvidsson

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad