Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 3 - No witty pun until TPM shows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Willie has said he knows what hansen,burr and vrbata can do with the twin...........he did say he would prefer vrbata seperated from twins to make two solid scoring lines.

Now if sutter looks comfortable with the twins its a win......more importantly it gets sutter another game with a new teamand still opens up the competition from the next three lines for the young guys.

If vrbata looks great on 2nd line with Hirvat and baer......the that soldifies the top two lines (sans sutter)

And even though he still plays the kid line together to start the season he can still go to vrbata to 2nd line if need be.

This is a great lineup for the young guys to make the team

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Best case scenario is mccann and virtanen have huge games, horvat and vrbata have terrible games. Forcing the kid line to start the year

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sutter playing with the twins is a good experiment

Sutter playing with the twins is a good experiment

Tonight's lines:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Sutter
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - McCann - Hansen
Prust - Cracknell - Virtanen

My take on the situation is this:

Management realizes that there's a chance that McCann continues to flourish during his 9 games, and that he might be worthy of moving up beyond the 4th line at some point (even as early as this season). However, given the lockjam at center with Henrik, Horvat, and Sutter, this might not be feasible.

Hence - the idea of playing Sutter with the twins. If Sutter clicks with the twins, then you kill two birds with one stone:

1) McCann gets to move up within the line-up.

2) Burrows and Vrbata get freed up to provide depth to other lines.

Hypothetical line-up if McCann stays beyond 9 games, and "flourishes" in a similar manner to Horvat last year:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Burrows-Horvat-Vrbata
Baertschi-McCann-Virtanen (or, if swap Horvat/McCann if Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen continue to be amazing with one another)
Prust-Vey/Cracknell-Dorsett

If all of the above occurred, and if both McCann elevated his game while Sutter found chemistry with the twins, then I can see BOTH Higgins and Hansen being moved for picks.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It's interesting they aren't playing Vey. This was suppose to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season according to WD, I think they're going to waive him on the last day.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I like to see what Sutter does with the twins, why not right? Let's try something.

Yet some people are like OMG WHY WD is a moron...Jesus, it's preseason..not game 75

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Maybe it's just me, but that lineup is just dumb to me :shakehead

It's not. It's an indication that management is loving what they see from McCann so far, and if McCann gets beyond his 9 games, and flourishes, you might have to use McCann in a Top 9 role as opposed to playing with Prust/Dorsett.

Hence - the experiment with Sutter and the twins. If Sutter clicks with the twins, and if McCann emerges in a similar manner to what Horvat did last year (maybe not to the same extent, but an emergence nonetheless), then you have to see if these lines could work since you'd have to move Sutter to the wing to accommodate McCann's promotion.

In Virtanen's case, lets say management keeps him beyond 9 games but at some point, the Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line runs dry. Where do you play him? I think you then consider using him in a Michael-Ferland-esque type role. Hence - the lines we see today.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, you're right. WD has effectively lost us the entire 82-game season because of the line-up he's icing for the last preseason game. Well done. :shakehead
If what we're doing right now is a rebuild, and we don't care about missing the playoffs, then I agree with you.

But if the team's legitimately trying to compete, you don't think there's something to be said for actually preparing for the regular season?

Burrows isn't going to shake off the rust and light it up with the twins right away if you put him in cold. With a team this borderline, every game is going to matter. The twins have had a shakey preseason and haven't at all gotten into their groove yet. Time to stop experimenting with that line, IMO.

And the Sutter experiment, in my opinion, has little chance of being a worthwhile experiment either way. Yes, it pushes guys down the lineup, but so would playing Dorsett with the twins and hoping that they click. Sutter is stylistically a very bad fit with them.

Hell, Gaunce with the twins would have been a better experiment, as his playing style matches up with theirs pretty perfectly.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
I really don't think the lines are going to stay like that.

Agreed.

Ideally though, IMO they should look like this based on how they've played in preseason(accounting for sending down people who deserved to be on the roster, Gaunce, Kenins[to a lesser extent])

Sedins Vrbata
Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Mccann Hansen (i actually like this line for tonight)
Prust Sutter Dorsett
Vey

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bart
Sbisa

offbeatgravy

Mar 18, 2013
Kelowna

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Sbisa

In all honesty looking at this line up I kind of hope that maybe Sutter works on the wing with the Sedins. That frees up the 3rd line C for McCann where he does not have to play with the scrubs in Dorsett and Prust on the 4th line and waste his talent. Keeping Vrbata on the the 2nd line with Bae and Bo keeps the offence a bit spread out.

Totally agree. Gives a lot of flexibility to the lineup as well. Able to move Vrby up if we need to get he / the twins going, move Virtanen up to the kid line in that case. Allows McCann to develop both offensively and defensively playing with responsible forwards. If McCann is struggling in a game, Sutter can slide down easily to the third line.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
If what we're doing right now is a rebuild, and we don't care about missing the playoffs, then I agree with you.

But if the team's legitimately trying to compete, you don't think there's something to be said for actually preparing for the regular season?

Burrows isn't going to shake off the rust and light it up with the twins right away if you put him in cold. With a team this borderline, every game is going to matter. The twins have had a shakey preseason and haven't at all gotten into their groove yet. Time to stop experimenting with that line, IMO.

And the Sutter experiment, in my opinion, has little chance of being a worthwhile experiment either way. Yes, it pushes guys down the lineup, but so would playing Dorsett with the twins and hoping that they click. Sutter is stylistically a very bad fit with them.

Hell, Gaunce with the twins would have been a better experiment, as his playing style matches up with theirs pretty perfectly.

I get what you're referring to, but I do fall under the "just play hard, be entertaining, and develop youth - if we miss the playoffs, so be it" category. With that said, it's an 82-game season, not a 20-game season. If they're in competition for a playoff spot by mid season and deserve to make it, then they'll make it.

They're professionals and know they need to ramp it up. If they do their best and miss, then I don't think they deserved it. No slight on them, it just means there are 8 better teams in the West than them. That's the whole point of the regular season

In my opinion, if they're in control of their destiny at any point later in the season, then the whole "we missed the playoffs because we lost some early points because we weren't ready" excuse goes out the window. If you're in control of your destiny, then put your head down, forget the past, and do what needs to get done.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ahh I don't think the last pre season game is for trying out new line combos. Disagree? Ask Vrbata what he thinks

If you want to try Sutter with the Sedins, you do it early on instead of dicking around with Grenier at that spot for no reason. Last preseason game should be a tune-up, not experiment time.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Meh posters used to say this exact thing about AV. I distinctly remember posters complaining that we came out of the gate slow cuz AV didn't give his regulars gel time in preseason in seasons we won the President's Trophy.

How many games does a team typically dress their top 12 skaters over the course of a season? We will be starting with Higgins out, odds are by the time he's back someone else will be out. Looking at different combinations now means when the inevitable injuries do occur you don't have to waste games trying to rejig the line up. You've already looked at some options and have some ideas on what works and what doesn't.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If you want to try Sutter with the Sedins, you do it early on instead of dicking around with Grenier at that spot for no reason. Last preseason game should be a tune-up, not experiment time.

This this this!

We play Calgary two straight games to start the year. Two losses and we are well behind the 8 ball.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Sutter has been so bad this pre-season that they're probably desperate to get some kind of offense out of him so they don't appear like complete fools for the acquisition and signing. But I agree. This game should feature the lineup we're going with in game 1 of the season. Or at least very close to it.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

I think McCann forced their hand to give Sutter a look elsewhere.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sutter has been so bad this pre-season that they're probably desperate to get some kind of offense out of him so they don't appear like complete fools for the acquisition and signing. But I agree. This game should feature the lineup we're going with in game 1 of the season. Or at least very close to it.

Almost all our vets have struggled in this off-season as most are just trying to get their legs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks used their regular season line-up from the 2nd period onwards.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Sbisa

Is what the lines are tonight if I'm not mistaken.

From the 2nd period onwards, I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter goes to the 3rd, McCann goes to the 4th, Virtanen goes to the 2nd, and Vrbata goes to line one.

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
I'm starting to have an inkling of an idea.... if Sutter agreed to sign a 5 year extension with an NTC, Benning/Willie must've promised him the 2nd line center job. Sutter was probably feeling stuck behind two elite centers in Pittsburgh and itching for the chance to take on more responsibility. Benning probably said "we'll make your dreams come true in Vancouver!" So he signs on the dotted line. Now, all of a sudden, Sutter is looking like the odd man out before the regular season has even begun. Not only has he already been demoted from 2C... even the 3C spot is tenuous! When he inevitably ends up on the 4th line, I think he'll be frustrated as hell. You may not hear anything publicly, but I bet he asks for a trade next season when McCann steps in to take his spot full time. (for the record, I think McCann will be sent down after 9 games because of this centerman cluster****)

Last edited by a moderator:

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Almost all our vets have struggled in this off-season as most are just trying to get their legs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks used their regular season line-up from the 2nd period onwards.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Sbisa

Is what the lines are tonight if I'm not mistaken.

From the 2nd period onwards, I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter goes to the 3rd, McCann goes to the 4th, Virtanen goes to the 2nd, and Vrbata goes to line one.
why Willi Why,,,are you trying to ruin Hutton already,playing him with the Missing Link Sbisa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad