Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 7: Canucks 5 @ Edmonton 2 - Cracknell the Defender Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
If it's Palat-Johnson-Drouin, I believe they're all under $1m a piece.

From what I have heard, Drouin has been with Stamkos all pre-season. Considering Stamkos had over 2 min more per game than Johnson last year, I would still call that their first line.

In either case, yes bad cap management on our part :-(

Edit: - Just checked and Palat and Johnson are both making 3.33m/year.

Last edited:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
And again, I don't really care.

You do it on merit based on their play and readiness. You treat every prospect the same.

If Gaunce has had a better preseason than Virtanen and looks like a better fit to help the team more, he should be the one that stays. Doing the opposite is just weak management and horribly unfair to the player who did the best job.

If McCann makes the team, there is essentially 1 roster spot open on the team (until Higgins gets back in ~2 weeks). I assume we both agree that Gaunce shouldn't be our 13th forward (personally I would go Vey as #13).

Even though Gaunce has had a solid pre-season, I would still have Kenins ahead of him (because of his strong play last year) and would have him in the lineup over Gaunce. We're essentially arguing over who will be our 12th forward for ~ 2 weeks.

Whether thats Gaunce/Virtanen/Kenins I really don't think it is a huge difference either way as they all bring some combination of size/physicality. As long as the 12th forward isn't Vey, I am happy.

Again, Gaunce will get his NHL games this year at some point. For JV, I think long term getting him exposure to NHL games would be good for his development (whether its pre-season, or if he get his 9 games).

Sedin
Sedin
Burrows
Vrbata
Horvat
Hansen
Sutter
Dorsett
Prust
Baertschi
McCann*
_________**

**Virtanen/Kenins/Gaunce/Vey.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
@VanCanucks: Coach Desjardins at the mic. Said he expects McCann, Virtanen and Hutton in, and no Gaunce tonight. #Canucks

With two games to go, and McCann getting both of them, (Jake probably will too) looks like Guance is definitely going to start in the NHL. Damn...he missed a free trip to France too.

edit:
He was cut last game.

Hadn't heard that.

Oh well, he'll get some call up time.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
From what I have heard, Drouin has been with Stamkos all pre-season. Considering Stamkos had over 2 min more per game than Johnson last year, I would still call that their first line.

In either case, yes bad cap management on our part :-(

Edit: - Just checked and Palat and Johnson are both making 3.33m/year.

Just excellent contracts, look at what competent management can do to a team, sigh.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
With two games to go, and McCann getting both of them, (Jake probably will too) looks like Guance is definitely going to start in the NHL. Damn...he missed a free trip to France too.

edit:

Hadn't heard that.

you missed the joke he was making, gaunce is still up.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

edit:

Hadn't heard that.

He was LITERALLY cut, not FIGURATIVELY cut.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
TBH I am a bit surprised that Cracknell is still up and in the lineup.

It doesn't make sense to keep Gaunce out and Cracknell in...

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Gaunce is probably just being given the day off. He was bleeding profusely the whole game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If McCann makes the team, there is essentially 1 roster spot open on the team (until Higgins gets back in ~2 weeks). I assume we both agree that Gaunce shouldn't be our 13th forward (personally I would go Vey as #13).

Even though Gaunce has had a solid pre-season, I would still have Kenins ahead of him (because of his strong play last year) and would have him in the lineup over Gaunce. We're essentially arguing over who will be our 12th forward for ~ 2 weeks.

Whether thats Gaunce/Virtanen/Kenins I really don't think it is a huge difference either way as they all bring some combination of size/physicality. As long as the 12th forward isn't Vey, I am happy.

Again, Gaunce will get his NHL games this year at some point. For JV, I think long term getting him exposure to NHL games would be good for his development (whether its pre-season, or if he get his 9 games).

Sedin
Sedin
Burrows
Vrbata
Horvat
Hansen
Sutter
Dorsett
Prust
Baertschi
McCann*
_________**

**Virtanen/Kenins/Gaunce/Vey.

How could Linden Vey be the 13th forward over anybody, the way he's played in the post-season?....get it over with and put him on waivers and get him to Utica....no way he won't clear.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
How could Linden Vey be the 13th forward over anybody, the way he's played in the post-season?....get it over with and put him on waivers and get him to Utica....no way he won't clear.

I think theres a good argument to keep Vey on as the 13th forward (not advocating him to be on the starting 12).

1) You don't want to keep one of the younger kids around as the 13th forward, better to get them playing time in the CHL/AHL.

2) We're all penciling Baertschi into a top-6 offensive role (similar to what we did with Vey last season) with no idea how its going to turn out. Having Vey as the 13th forward (instead of a guy like Cracknell) creates competition for guys like Baertschi/McCann.

3) Also, being able to play center or wing gives us some flexibility if we run into last minute injuries and you can't call someone up in time.

4) I honestly believe he would be claimed off waivers. As mediocre as Vey has been, I don't like the idea of losing players on waivers.

Im not advocating playing time for Vey, but I think he is a fine insurance option as the 13th forward and provides some lineup flexibility in emergency situations.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Two crucial games for Sven Baertschi to have a good game.......he hasnt looked IMO

Agreed. I'd like to see a good showing out of Sven tonight.

If he plays w/ Horvat and Virtanen that should hopefully open up some ice for him so he can get a chance to work some magic.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No I'm saying Vey shouldn't get the pre-season ice time he's getting. Instead this is when you try McCann in the top 6.

Why would playing McCann in the top 6 prepare him for the season. It was also never Vey's role. Playing him with Kenins/Hansen/Dorsett (his likely linemates if he was to make the team) would make the most sense no?

Or is he auditioning for a top 6 role?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Why would playing McCann in the top 6 prepare him for the season. It was also never Vey's role. Playing him with Kenins/Hansen/Dorsett (his likely linemates if he was to make the team) would make the most sense no?

Or is he auditioning for a top 6 role?

I would like to see McCann get the opportunities that Vey is getting.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I think putting him in a top 6 role will give him a bunch of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad