Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 3: Canucks @ Flames - Lost but we scored a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

The bulk of the criticism comes from the whole body of work coming from the new regime... not just tonights game.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

We know this, were mostly critiquing the individual performances and how that projects to the regular season.

Markstrom was very good so that should continue into the regular season and be a bright spot.

Vey, sbisa, were bad. So bad they will likely cost wins in the regular season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks have been trending down since 2012. Our best players by a country mile were drafted in the 90s.

Pipeline looks ok but not ready to replenish this core.

Tough days ahead.

Don't tell Benning he thinks team is just getting better and better. 2nd round expectations.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is the problem though.

If we had Kassian and Bonino this game would have been closer.

It also would have been different with the Sedins, Vbrata, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Burrows, Miller, and Higgins.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Don't get me wrong, Benning has run this team into the ground, but let's not have a meltdown over a road preseason loss with about 4 regulars dressed. It's going to be a long season, pace yourselves.

This is great advice. I think when the team you support is heading for the ditch, well, you'd best be prepared. Life jackets.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the contract when signed (thinking he'd get at minimum a qualifying offer). I can understand initially wanting to sign him so you don't have to replace your entire defense core in 2 years, but the raise and term were dumb and it definitely doesn't seem to be working out. That said, there are always options for moving a player. Trade him. Can't find a taker? Waive him. Isn't claimed? Perfectly fine veteran option in Utica, IMO.

Under the new CBA you can only hide about a million in the minors. If they sent Sbisa down the Canucks would still be dinged for $2.6 million against the salary cap on Sbisa.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I have deliberately chosen not to take the easy bait on Sbisa to this point... But I'm not sure I can hold off any more.

He was directly responsible for two of four goals against tonight. Directly, as in he was the catalyst leading to the goal. Last year, I saw spurts where I liked him (particularly when the rest of the regulars were down and he too on a heavier load rather respectably), but he lost all emotional capital with me in the playoffs, when he was an absolute boat anchor. He is going to be an albatross around this management group's neck and, as of now, will be the one that is looked back on a-la Patrick White for Nonis and Torts for Gillis. Luca Sbisa is Benning's Patrick White. I can't think of a more damning indictment.

As for the rest of the team, I liked what I saw from Bartkowski, Shinkaruk, Markstrom and, surprisingly enough, Prust. JV's snipe was a beauty, but he was relatively quiet for the rest of the night. Wanted to see more from Gaunce.

Sigh. It's gonna be a long year.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Vey is just a useless player...not good at anything. Small, weak defensively and low offensive awareness. He needs to go.

Good on JV to get one on the board, beauty of a shot too. He should make the team with Higgins out. You can see he's still quite raw.

Sbisa was Sbisa.

Sutter blows. Terrible trade and contract signing but hey, what else is new?

Liking Bartkowski so far, small but very mobile and has good positioning.

Would have liked to have seen more from Baertschi but he knows he's gifted a spot.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
can't wait to see more Vey and Dorsett 3 v 3 this season. Canucks advantage staff team is great.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
what is going on with Jordan Subban? Has he had any icetime this preseason yet? Sorry, I haven't had time to closely follow the exhibition.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
what is going on with Jordan Subban? Has he had any icetime this preseason yet? Sorry, I haven't had time to closely follow the exhibition.

He's down with Utica. I believe they want him sent down so he can get a place in Utica and set up before they leave for France (they are playing preseason there).

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Didn't watch the game but am I missing something with the 3-3??

I thought it was only played in OT but by reading some posts it sounds like there was 3-3 tonight??

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Didn't watch the game but am I missing something with the 3-3??

I thought it was only played in OT but by reading some posts it sounds like there was 3-3 tonight??

The league is requiring that some (all?) preseason games end in 3 on 3 overtime regardless of the score after 60 minutes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The league is requiring that some (all?) preseason games end in 3 on 3 overtime regardless of the score after 60 minutes.

Makes sense given it gives refs, coaches and players, even the TV guys a chance to fine tune their plans for it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I tried to be open to this sutter thing, but I hate him after two games.

I said it'd be easy to hate him if he's used as a top six forward.

#Boho2k16

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Still can't believe Benning threw in a 5th round pick on top of Kassian to "pry" Prust out of Montreal. The guy looks brutal out there. Press box material.

Vey is usless. AHL fodder. Or Europe.

Sbisa is horrendous. Very poor acquisition by Benning made worse by huge contract. :help:

Calgary trading Baertschi for a 2nd round pick could turn out the be brilliant (for them). Sven hasn't shown much so far. I'll give it some more time but considering he is a Benning acquisition I'm not hopeful.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Sven also had a really bad 2 games last season with us.

Then he scored 2 goals randomly in that Oilers game.

Give Baertschi more time, he's young there are a lot of expectations on him.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Still can't believe Benning threw in a 5th round pick on top of Kassian to "pry" Prust out of Montreal. The guy looks brutal out there. Press box material.

Vey is usless. AHL fodder. Or Europe.

Sbisa is horrendous. Very poor acquisition by Benning made worse by huge contract. :help:

Calgary trading Baertschi for a 2nd round pick could turn out the be brilliant (for them). Sven hasn't shown much so far. I'll give it some more time but considering he is a Benning acquisition I'm not hopeful.
Watch Benning trade Prust at the deadline to get back that 5th and say it was a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad