Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Byron - Riley - Klimchuk
Bouma - Carroll - Frolik
Agostino - Arnold - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Russell - Wideman
Kylington - Wotherspoon

Hiller

In the meantime, were you aware that Sam Bennett is ONLY 18 YEARS OLD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Attending some meeting in Calgary this month, the hype train is real... I've heard their media guys say that the Flames have the best D core in the NHL and that they have an advantage 3 on 3 as they are the fastest team in the NHL. We have no chance.

Sounds like they have some interesting battles though. One of the goalies has to go and some forwards that will have to clear waivers. Drew Shore and David Jones for example, and they have a full roster. Brodie out of D, but watch for Rasmus Andersson. Drafted in the 2nd round this summer and has been one of the Flames' top performers on D so far.

Sounds like the Canucks are icing a pretty inexperienced squad while the Flames are trying to make some hard choices. Could get ugly...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Attending some meeting in Calgary this month, the hype train is real... I've heard their media guys say that the Flames have the best D core in the NHL and that they have an advantage 3 on 3 as they are the fastest team in the NHL. We have no chance.

Sounds like they have some interesting battles though. One of the goalies has to go and some forwards that will have to clear waivers. Drew Shore and David Jones for example, and they have a full roster. Brodie out of D, but watch for Rasmus Andersson. Drafted in the 2nd round this summer and has been one of the Flames' top performers on D so far.

Sounds like the Canucks are icing a pretty inexperienced squad while the Flames are trying to make some hard choices. Could get ugly...

Indeed. I recall reading on Twitter in the past few days that it sounds like the Twins, Grenier, Virtanen and such will be playing tomorrow night. I'd guess that tonight's lineup will be similar to the one that played in the Hockeyville game.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Seriously pisses me off that Calgary walked away with Hamilton, Andersson and Kylington at the draft.

I still think both Andersson/Kylington have huge question marks. They are far from sure fire top 4 ds.

Hamilton was a pretty sweet deal though. But then Brodie goes down injured.. lol.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I still think both Andersson/Kylington have huge question marks. They are far from sure fire top 4 ds.

Hamilton was a pretty sweet deal though. But then Brodie goes down injured.. lol.

Andersson has less questions. He was in the top 5 in OHL scoring last year and if the season opened tomorrow, he'd be a Flame. He'll be 19 soon too as he's an older draft pick. Kylington has many more questions. He skates like Scott Neidermayer, but doesn't seem to care where his own zone is. Rock star in his own mind and may not work out. I think teams will be kicking themselves on Rasmus Andersson though.

arsmaster*

Andersson has less questions. He was in the top 5 in OHL scoring last year and if the season opened tomorrow, he'd be a Flame. He'll be 19 soon too as he's an older draft pick. Kylington has many more questions. He skates like Scott Neidermayer, but doesn't seem to care where his own zone is. Rock star in his own mind and may not work out. I think teams will be kicking themselves on Rasmus Andersson though.

Have you watched lots of Calgary's camp or something? I think Andersson's "boots" are going to be a massive hindrance to his transition to the NHL. I also don't see a strong mind, but again, I haven't tracked the Flames camp at all, just going by OHL views.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Hypothetical time:

Do you keep the trades we did for Vey and Baertschi or keep the picks and the players that were picked in those positions (Mckeown and Andersson). One or the other, no mixies.

I go with the two defensemen every time but I'm lukewarm on Baertschi and ice cold on Vey.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Hypothetical time:

Do you keep the trades we did for Vey and Baertschi or keep the picks and the players that were picked in those positions (Mckeown and Andersson). One or the other, no mixies.

I go with the two defensemen every time but I'm lukewarm on Baertschi and ice cold on Vey.

Even if you take the picks, there's no saying we would've drafted those players, but to play along... well, I think the majority agree that we'd take back the Vey trade and are willing to accept the risk on the Bae trade. From what I heard, McKeown had a disappointing season last year and I don't know wnough about Andersson, so I'll go with keeping the trade. :dunno:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Have you watched lots of Calgary's camp or something? I think Andersson's "boots" are going to be a massive hindrance to his transition to the NHL. I also don't see a strong mind, but again, I haven't tracked the Flames camp at all, just going by OHL views.

Yeah my work keeps me in Alberta a lot and I have a friend in the Hitmen organization. I spend time at hockey Canada offices there as well. I can't help but have a solid grasp on the Flames' situation at all times...

His skating has been more than fine from what I've seen.

arsmaster*

Hypothetical time:

I don't like this hypothetical, because in both cases I thought there were better prospects available than the ones picked with our exact pick (Brayden Point in 2014 and lots more in 2015).

I think both acquistions on our part are projects, and for a team in our situation, I couldn't care any less about some "age gap", I care about having some good young players coming through the system.

Even if I had to choose McKeown and Andersson, I probably would, as both could be used to upgrade the roster via trade in the future (LA already did it with McKeown),

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't like this hypothetical, because in both cases I thought there were better prospects available than the ones picked with our exact pick (Brayden Point in 2014 and lots more in 2015).

I think both acquistions on our part are projects, and for a team in our situation, I couldn't care any less about some "age gap", I care about having some good young players coming through the system.

Even if I had to choose McKeown and Andersson, I probably would, as both could be used to upgrade the roster via trade in the future (LA already did it with McKeown),

I don't think it's fair to say LA upgraded with McKeown. They gave him up and their 1st next year for like 2 weeks of Sekera who walked because they couldn't fit re-signing him in.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't think it's fair to say LA upgraded with McKeown. They gave him up and their 1st next year for like 2 weeks of Sekera who walked because they couldn't fit re-signing him in.

I think the point was that they could use McKeown as a bargaining chip to improve their team, regardless of how Sekera worked out for them. It's hard to imagine Vey having much value at all right now.

arsmaster*

I think the point was that they could use McKeown as a bargaining chip to improve their team, regardless of how Sekera worked out for them. It's hard to imagine Vey having much value at all right now.

Nailed it.

Just like the conversation about losing value on a player by trading him for a 6th round pick, if you happen to get a Datsyuk with the 6th rounder, it still doesn't mean trading a good player for that pick was smart management.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hypothetical time:

I get to add two cheapish UFAs if I take the picks, tips the balance for me.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

I agree I would have used the picks on different names, but non the less I would rather the picks as those players hold more value when dangled in a trade compared to Baertschi and Vey

XeO

Dec 10, 2011
Andersson and Kylington have been playing great for the Flames. I would defintely say they could be top 4 defensemen in the future.

Here are tonights line ups

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
#Flames lines in CGY:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler;
Byron-Riley-Klimchuk;
Bouma-Carroll-Frolik;
Agostino-Arnold-Hathaway...
HOWEVER...

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Van Brabant has been skating on left with Byron on right with Riley at centre, too. #Flames

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames rolling 4 pairs this morning:
Giordano-Hamilton;
Russell-Wideman;
Kylington-Wotherspoon;
Engelland-Sieloff.
Not sure who sits.

PS: Sam Bennett is 19 years old now!

91893abf699c9eac57955ff3afecbf40.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.