Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 3: Canucks @ Flames - Lost but we scored a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Would Vancouver break 60 points this season if we didn't have the Sedin's? Even as is, can't really blame them if they take a complete pass on this season and we don't break the 60 point plateau.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Excuse me on the description "looks like Sutter can carry the puck" - meant to type "he can't carry the puck"

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Shink, Gaunce, and Markstrom were good. JV with a nice shot. Expected this type of game looking at the lineups.

Don't want to read too much into the pre-season, but Prust looks completely washed up. If Benning's comment about Prust's skating wasn't just lip service... he's not just dumb, he's something beyond.
Benning actually only traded for him for once we get into the playoffs and play against the Flames, so we can crush that devil in red with the last name Ferland.

This team is going to win the cup, all the traits of a great team. Youth, speed, grit, skill. Hell of a team he's put together.

Serious note, its pretty sad we iced 4/7 top defenseman for the team this season. :help: Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis playing 25 mins a night.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Two teams trending in opposite directions........sad times

It hasn't even started yet.
About game 35 when things are clearly circling the drain, memories of the Cup finals will seem like a lifetime ago. It's gonna be a ugly ugly year for the Canucks.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
2 goals in 3 games eh? I know its preseason and you can't read too much into it, but that must be adding just a little more heat on benning after a summer where he took a ton already.

for whatever reason there's hardly any heat on him at house institutions like team 1040 or the province... they seem to love the guy and will no doubt unquestionably accept the narrative shift of the accidental tank if this season goes south quickly

it's an entirely different mood on forums such as this, the blogosphere or even the national media

will be interesting to track the point of time when the casual rogers arena fan starts to turn against the regime, especially since benning offloaded most of the popular/entertaining players for trash a few months ago

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
for whatever reason there's hardly any heat on him at house institutions like team 1040 or the province... they seem to love the guy and will no doubt unquestionably accept the narrative shift of the accidental tank if this season goes south quickly

it's an entirely different mood on forums such as this, the blogosphere or even the national media

will be interesting to track the point of time when the casual rogers arena fan starts to turn against the regime, especially since benning offloaded most of the popular/entertaining players for trash a few months ago

not sure if you go on r/canucks on reddit but they seem to be very supportive of benning, whereas on here it's the opposite. i don't agree with r/canucks at all and will say that the posters here are generally much more knowledgeable

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I really want to check out r/canucks to see if that's true and the rationale behind it but too afraid that it'll make me forever disregard ALL reddit comments

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Benning actually only traded for him for once we get into the playoffs and play against the Flames, so we can crush that devil in red with the last name Ferland.

This team is going to win the cup, all the traits of a great team. Youth, speed, grit, skill. Hell of a team he's put together.

Serious note, its pretty sad we iced 4/7 top defenseman for the team this season. :help: Tanev, Edler and Hamhuis playing 25 mins a night.

i posted this as motivation for Subban to break into the nhl sooner rather than later. Look at the depth...

Edler(signed past this year)
Tanev(signed past this year)
Hamhuis

Weber
Sbisa(signed past this year)
Bartkowski
Corrado
Biega
Fedun
Pedan
Hutton(signed past this year)
Subban

That is not large hill to climb.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Shinkaruk Jones Virtanen best line

Vey looked like fat Wellwood. Has two effective qualities, slowness and smallness, and his inability to pass or handle the puck was breath-taking.

McCann may just be on the team by default.

Why did Sven look like a Mason Raymond wannabe?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Find myself fairly confused with the many glowing praises of Gaunce's game tonight. It's like he's somehow acquired this reputation as being so "smart" and such a "subtle" player, to the point where he can just blend into the woodwork and people are assuming he was "quietly" good. I think "quietly good" has basically become a synonym for "invisible" or "no impact" with him.

He generally isn't a liability, and that's a very good start for a young player. Credit on that. But at some point, he's gotta do more than "quiet" to really make an impression imo. At least, to really deserve the degree of praise he seemed to get tonight. Just way too much invisible, detached play.

Still a prospect and still time to develop, but as he stands today...i think if he was skating around wearing say...a Brandon McMillan jersey, playing that exact game tonight...i somehow doubt there would be much of any praise of his "quiet" game.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Would Vancouver break 60 points this season if we didn't have the Sedin's? Even as is, can't really blame them if they take a complete pass on this season and we don't break the 60 point plateau.

Would Pittsburgh without Crosby/Malkin?

Would Anaheim without Getzlaf/Perry?

Would Chicago without Toews/Kane?

What a ridiculous statement, Canucks have 12 million tied into their top two players for a reason, they're impact players.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Find myself fairly confused with the many glowing praises of Gaunce's game tonight. It's like he's somehow acquired this reputation as being so "smart" and such a "subtle" player, to the point where he can just blend into the woodwork and people are assuming he was "quietly" good. I think "quietly good" has basically become a synonym for "invisible" or "no impact" with him.

He generally isn't a liability, and that's a very good start for a young player. Credit on that. But at some point, he's gotta do more than "quiet" to really make an impression imo. At least, to really deserve the degree of praise he seemed to get tonight. Just way too much invisible, detached play.

Still a prospect and still time to develop, but as he stands today...i think if he was skating around wearing say...a Brandon McMillan jersey, playing that exact game tonight...i somehow doubt there would be much of any praise of his "quiet" game.

I agree with this, especially because he was a 1st round pick. I like Gaunce, but he's got to do a little more than just be an effective defensive role player. Otherwise, he's yet ANOTHER botched Canucks 1st round pick. Ugh...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just finished the game on PVR.
  • Gaunce with an quietly awesome showing as always. I can't see an argument for why he shouldn't be on the team.
  • Markstrom was great. I caught the 2nd period score before watching the game and was worried he got shelled 4-1 and was happy to find out it was Bachman.
  • Virtanen quiet other than the goal. He's playing really passively, seemingly afraid to make mistakes by playing too aggressive. He also seems like he's getting gassed. Probably needs to go back to junior. :(
  • Vey, Sutter and Baertschi on the powerplay showed brief flashes of chemistry. All are pretty smart players and I wouldn't mind seeing that tried again on the PP. It'd be a butter soft line to play against otherwise.
  • I have to admit, I cringe every time I see Dorsett and Prust both on the ice at the same time. :help:
  • Finally, I think Sbisa was (in)directly responsible for 3 goals against. I laughed when I had the realization that what I hope he can improve to -- Pedan probably already is at 22. I've argued for giving Luca more time, but I think it's time to cut bait on Sbisa. Despite a few screw ups early on, I think Pedan is a better player already.

If you haven't realized it yet there is no cutting bait on Sbisa. He's here for another 3 years getting paid #4/5 money. This is what many already saw all last season, and why it's the point where the fanbase here really turned on Benning when he inexplicably signed gave him a raise and an extension before the playoffs.

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
I agree with this, especially because he was a 1st round pick. I like Gaunce, but he's got to do a little more than just be an effective defensive role player. Otherwise, he's yet ANOTHER botched Canucks 1st round pick. Ugh...

I think realistic expectations at this point for Gaunce are average 3rd liner or above average 4th liner, but probably not 4th because he doesn't have an 'energy player' vibe.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Would Pittsburgh without Crosby/Malkin?

Would Anaheim without Getzlaf/Perry?

Would Chicago without Toews/Kane?

What a ridiculous statement, Canucks have 12 million tied into their top two players for a reason, they're impact players.
Not a ridiculous statement.

Last year ARZ and EDM had 56 and 62 pts respectively - would a Duncan Keith/Hossa lead Hawks team surpass that? Would a Phil Kessel/Maata/Letang core surpass that? Would a Kesler/Fowler/Gibson team surpass that?

The point is that the Canucks simply have no depth. Secondary scoring was a major issue when we were contending and winning President's trophies. Now our lack of scoring (and generating offense) has to be a growing issue with 35 year old Sedins, even in pre-season against scrubs we can't score goals.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
If you haven't realized it yet there is no cutting bait on Sbisa. He's here for another 3 years getting paid #4/5 money. This is what many already saw all last season, and why it's the point where the fanbase here really turned on Benning when he inexplicably signed gave him a raise and an extension before the playoffs.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the contract when signed (thinking he'd get at minimum a qualifying offer). I can understand initially wanting to sign him so you don't have to replace your entire defense core in 2 years, but the raise and term were dumb and it definitely doesn't seem to be working out. That said, there are always options for moving a player. Trade him. Can't find a taker? Waive him. Isn't claimed? Perfectly fine veteran option in Utica, IMO.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

what? he was picked in the late first in a bad draft. if he becomes an nhl player it was a good pick

SaltySnipes*

Don't mind Gaunce. He is what he is. He has a very good chance of being a capable bottom 6 player who can win faceoffs. Fine with me.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
How can Benning, linden, and weisbrod ALL watch sbisa play and not think they screwed up.

Nov 1, 2011
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the contract when signed (thinking he'd get at minimum a qualifying offer). I can understand initially wanting to sign him so you don't have to replace your entire defense core in 2 years, but the raise and term were dumb and it definitely doesn't seem to be working out. That said, there are always options for moving a player. Trade him. Can't find a taker? Waive him. Isn't claimed? Perfectly fine veteran option in Utica, IMO.

Still uses a lot of our cap in Utica, maybe it doesn't matter if we are not trying to contend.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Canucks have been trending down since 2012. Our best players by a country mile were drafted in the 90s.

Pipeline looks ok but not ready to replenish this core.

Tough days ahead.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

This is the problem though.

If we had Kassian and Bonino this game would have been closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad