Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 3: Canucks @ Flames - Lost but we scored a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Any word on the lineup for tonight's game?

I know the top 2 lines will be the Sedins with Grenier and Horvat with Burrows and Vrbata. Not sure about the bottom 2 lines, but I know McCann and Cracknell are in too. Maybe Virtanen gets yet another game.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Other Thoughts

Why were Bancks and Hamilton given any game action? These players could hardly keep their positions on the Comets. No big deal but why wasn't someone like Fox given a chance. Or at least someone like Cracknell played.

You might have noticed this too but on some shifts we were trying to match Utica's checking line against Monahan. Like WTF? Seriously? :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
A bit of a courtesy to give these vets preseason games. Give them a chance to put some NHL action on tape, maybe another team takes notice. Any of these things people complaining about these preseason, other teams are doing the exact same thing.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
A bit of a courtesy to give these vets preseason games. Give them a chance to put some NHL action on tape, maybe another team takes notice. Any of these things people complaining about these preseason, other teams are doing the exact same thing.

Yeah I think that's very much normal and don't have any kind of beef with it. I'd say it's actually preferable to play these no-hopers so that the important vets can their pace and speed back up to limit injuries etc, to gradually get them to proper game shape.

But the fact that this didn't imply to one of our best and promising prospect in Subban makes it even funnier. And also the 10 minute TOI to guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Virtanen is really puzzling.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Okay, we can't score goals, but our defense is the real problem. Edler, Tanev, Hamhooose and Weber are going to all have to play 25 min per game cause our third pairing is horrid.

My patience with Sbisa is about done. At this point, I can't see him as an everyday player. He's got some good tools, but his decisions with the puck are brutal. He's a $3.6M sunk cost. The best we can do is to assign him to Utica and wait to see if he will give up $11M over the next 3 years or defect to Europe so he can play.

Unfortunately last night, Corrado wasn't much better than Sbisa. He was handling the puck like he was afraid of it. He may not have had the glaring giveaways, but it was more like death by 1000 cuts. He's young, it's early, he'll improve.

It's a little early to say too much about Bartowski. At least he wasn't horrid in his own zone. He skates really well, but if we are counting on him to be a puck mover he needs to familiarize himself with the offensive zone. Lucas Krajicek 2.0?

So next on the depth chart come Biega, Hutton and Subban. Dear Lord ....

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

Yea you know this forum is in rough shape when the flames fans are saying Canucks fans are too critical.

XeO

Dec 10, 2011
I know the top 2 lines will be the Sedins with Grenier and Horvat with Burrows and Vrbata. Not sure about the bottom 2 lines, but I know McCann and Cracknell are in too. Maybe Virtanen gets yet another game.

Not sure of lines but here is the player list for tonights game

CP2DrTwUsAA0ChT.jpg

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Not sure of lines but here is the player list for tonights game

CP2DrTwUsAA0ChT.jpg

So glad to be seeing Cracknell in the line up this late in camp. Makes sense to have a big part of this team's future playing these games instead of AHL-fodder like Virtanen and Shinkaruk.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I think a lot of you guys are being too critical.

The Flames iced their best defenders, forwards and goal. Only their bottom 6 was not regular NHLers. Whereas the Canucks did the exact opposite and left their best forwards, defenseman and goalie out of the game. Of course it was lopsided.

Oh it'll be the same on the Flames board tonight if they lose.

"Cut Kulak! That bum couldn't even contain the Sedins cycle!

Good ol pre season

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nobody is surprised or disappointed that it was a lopsided victory-- most expected something closer to 5-0. The manner in which certain players played is why everyone is down on the team. People need to stop rolling their eyes at valid criticism.
Okay, we can't score goals, but our defense is the real problem. Edler, Tanev, Hamhooose and Weber are going to all have to play 25 min per game cause our third pairing is horrid.

My patience with Sbisa is about done. At this point, I can't see him as an everyday player. He's got some good tools, but his decisions with the puck are brutal. He's a $3.6M sunk cost. The best we can do is to assign him to Utica and wait to see if he will give up $11M over the next 3 years or defect to Europe so he can play.

Unfortunately last night, Corrado wasn't much better than Sbisa. He was handling the puck like he was afraid of it. He may not have had the glaring giveaways, but it was more like death by 1000 cuts. He's young, it's early, he'll improve.

It's a little early to say too much about Bartowski. At least he wasn't horrid in his own zone. He skates really well, but if we are counting on him to be a puck mover he needs to familiarize himself with the offensive zone. Lucas Krajicek 2.0?

So next on the depth chart come Biega, Hutton and Subban. Dear Lord ....
I would be very satisfied with a Lukas Krajicek 2.0 on the third pairing, personally-- massive upgrade on Sbisa. He had some weaknesses, but I always liked him when he was here.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another poor performance with few positives. Expected result given the relative roster strength but the individual performances were not good.

- Markstrom looked good again. Probably our best goaltending option - get ready for yet another goaltending controversy. Bachman meh.

- Bartkowski has coverage issues down low and his puck rushing usually leads to nothing, but at least he looks like a competent 3rd pairing defender. Skates very well. Weber isn't having a great preseason so far, really fighting the puck.

- Sbisa is just atrocious. What an embarrassment for the franchise. Just bleeds goals. Isn't NHL calibre.

- Corrado not much better. No confidence, always on the back foot, looks terrified of making mistakes. Gap control and puck pressure stinks right now. He's being handed a spot but really doesn't deserve it right now.

- Pedan's outlet passing is surprisingly good. His down low coverage is not. Fedun managed to tread water.

- Sutter was awful but like all veterans gets a bit of a pass in the preseason. Not proving doubters wrong, though.

- Baertschi had one good PP shift but was otherwise invisible. Obviously is being gifted a job but you'd actually like to see him earn that spot on merit. Outplayed by Shinkaruk. Would like to see him with someone other than Sutter.

- Kenins decent but not as good as his first game.

- Virtanen showed a big-time NHL release on his goal. No backswing, lazer top corner. Otherwise was invisible again. Struggling to impact games physically.

- Shinkaruk showed jump and was our most dangerous forward in limited minutes. Good effort for him. Was rewarded by being cut this morning.

- Jones was just kind of there.

- Vey line not good. Dorsett is OK. Prust sucks and is skating in cement. Vey looks no better than last year.

- Gaunce didn't have his best game but was stuck with garbage linemates. Why are we dressing scrubs on AHL contracts instead of actual prospects?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Another poor performance with few positives. Expected result given the relative roster strength but the individual performances were not good.

- Markstrom looked good again. Probably our best goaltending option - get ready for yet another goaltending controversy. Bachman meh.

- Bartkowski has coverage issues down low and his puck rushing usually leads to nothing, but at least he looks like a competent 3rd pairing defender. Skates very well. Weber isn't having a great preseason so far, really fighting the puck.

- Sbisa is just atrocious. What an embarrassment for the franchise. Just bleeds goals. Isn't NHL calibre.

- Corrado not much better. No confidence, always on the back foot, looks terrified of making mistakes. Gap control and puck pressure stinks right now. He's being handed a spot but really doesn't deserve it right now.

- Pedan's outlet passing is surprisingly good. His down low coverage is not. Fedun managed to tread water.

- Sutter was awful but like all veterans gets a bit of a pass in the preseason. Not proving doubters wrong, though.

- Baertschi had one good PP shift but was otherwise invisible. Obviously is being gifted a job but you'd actually like to see him earn that spot on merit. Outplayed by Shinkaruk. Would like to see him with someone other than Sutter.

- Kenins decent but not as good as his first game.

- Virtanen showed a big-time NHL release on his goal. No backswing, lazer top corner. Otherwise was invisible again. Struggling to impact games physically.

- Shinkaruk showed jump and was our most dangerous forward in limited minutes. Good effort for him. Was rewarded by being cut this morning.

- Jones was just kind of there.

- Vey line not good. Dorsett is OK. Prust sucks and is skating in cement. Vey looks no better than last year.

- Gaunce didn't have his best game but was stuck with garbage linemates. Why are we dressing scrubs on AHL contracts instead of actual prospects?

:cry: poor guy

but he was never going to make it with Benning's golden acquisitions

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Nobody is surprised or disappointed that it was a lopsided victory-- most expected something closer to 5-0. The manner in which certain players played is why everyone is down on the team. People need to stop rolling their eyes at valid criticism.
I would be very satisfied with a Lukas Krajicek 2.0 on the third pairing, personally-- massive upgrade on Sbisa. He had some weaknesses, but I always liked him when he was here.

Exactly. It leads me to believe that some people here are barely even reading the posts and their eyes are just catching certain negative words or phrases.

Even the best, most seemingly intelligent posters on this board are negative, or heavily critical at best, about this season. Folks, try actually reading what they have to say instead of blurting out the ole' "It's only preseason" line.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
:cry: poor guy

but he was never going to make it with Benning's golden acquisitions

The difference in treatment between Benning acquisitions and Gillis acquisitions on this team is a disgrace. Hard to buy the "youth movement" nonsense when young players with good pre-season showings are being sent down while Vey and Sbisa are getting gifted huge minutes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still struggling with the idea of Fedun and Biega getting two exhibition games each, and none for Subban...and on a blueline absolutely starved for any offense...what a gong show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad