Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 1: Canucks def. Kings - 4-3 (OT-Granlund,Virtanen,Baertschi,Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
I know it's preseason and it means nothing but it's really great to be able to see our younger players proving themselves. This isn't a Benning accolade but for once we have some intriguing young talent.

Boeser has that sleeper breakout quality and even though there are good players drafted after him I'm really pleased that we chose him.

Agree
Beyond vets....if you were taking one out to slide into a spot whether into top 9 or 4th line......or a 6-8 dmen.....there are a number of choices....vs a few years ago is there anyone who could play a game and not cost us the game

One area that seems to be lacking is that grinder/fighter that can play up into 3rd line consistently
Im not as harsh as some on Dorsett (also he has rust) but his expiry date is closing.....White not sure hes the answer

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Agree
Beyond vets....if you were taking one out to slide into a spot whether into top 9 or 4th line......or a 6-8 dmen.....there are a number of choices....vs a few years ago is there anyone who could play a game and not cost us the game

One area that seems to be lacking is that grinder/fighter that can play up into 3rd line consistently
Im not as harsh as some on Dorsett (also he has rust) but his expiry date is closing.....White not sure hes the answer

Fighting does nothing. Grinding, sure. We have Sutter for that and we're not getting out of that contract anytime soon.

It's hella basic but it's refreshing to have a head coach that actually gets line matching and a PP coach that had been successful here before. The last few seasons have been painful, at least this season if we're going to suck we will at least be more fun to watch.

Happy to see Virtanen finally getting in what it takes to be a pro. He seems like the type that could always rest on his laurels because of physical development and some nifty tools. I'm not convinced he's ready to be a pro. However it is disconcerting that he basically came out and said WD never really talked to him about what he needed to do to improve.

We always have to remember that despite getting a sweet pay cheque, being 19 doesn't mean you always do or choose the right thing. Hopefully him getting some time under Green has ignited something g in Jake because I know there's not one poster on this board wanting him to fail.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fighting does nothing. Grinding, sure. We have Sutter for that and we're not getting out of that contract anytime soon.

It's hella basic but it's refreshing to have a head coach that actually gets line matching and a PP coach that had been successful here before. The last few seasons have been painful, at least this season if we're going to suck we will at least be more fun to watch.

Happy to see Virtanen finally getting in what it takes to be a pro. He seems like the type that could always rest on his laurels because of physical development and some nifty tools. I'm not convinced he's ready to be a pro. However it is disconcerting that he basically came out and said WD never really talked to him about what he needed to do to improve.

We always have to remember that despite getting a sweet pay cheque, being 19 doesn't mean you always do or choose the right thing. Hopefully him getting some time under Green has ignited something g in Jake because I know there's not one poster on this board wanting him to fail.

I noticed Jake's WD comments too. Thought Jake played, in his minutes, how he needs to play: fast, aggressive, mean. He's got some good puck skills too.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I noticed Jake's WD comments too. Thought Jake played, in his minutes, how he needs to play: fast, aggressive, mean. He's got some good puck skills too.

His passing is better than he gets credit for. I think this is a case of he needs support and confidence to do what he does best. Similar to Kassian in that merit. These players have been men amongst boys for most of their younger path, they've never had to really commit the way others have.

Desjardins ruined much more than that's seen. Support for kids is important. Like I said, despite the pay cheque these guys are still figuring it all out. If only we gave Kassian the opportunity maybe things would have been different (not going to discuss off ice things because it's too murky and not important).

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Based on one preseason game?

A bit of a gut feeling.

Comes back from a major injury.

Players that can do his job that are younger and cheaper.

Perhaps the team feels they need to give him every chance.

What I saw in the game was a player who didn't have much left in the tank, never know though could be wrong.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

We knew this last year when he said as much....he got blasted pretty good for speaking up on that.

I think we all remember the stuff story.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
We knew this last year when he said as much....he got blasted pretty good for speaking up on that.

I think we all remember the stuff story.

Development is never linear but I really want Desjardins to step on a bunch of legos for his lack of involvement.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Also I really want to talk about the improvements Markstrom has made to his tracking + lateral play. Being a big guy is great for low percentage shots but his lateral movement is a lot better and he looks to be reading pucks in a better capacity too. He came to prove he's the starter and this game put a lot of that in his favour.

It's also nice to hear that the players are happy with how Green is holding them accountable. He's a 1000 game pro, it seems like he's already got the ears of the team. Maybe it's just because I've missed some semblance of structured hockey for the last 3 years but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First time you've ever lived up to your username...you monster!! :sarcasm:

I wanted to change it but all the mods voted against it. I can't just do TPM other wise WTG might internet fight me for the consonants rights.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I get what you're trying to put forth but small sample sizes are not the best arsenal. We should let the rest of preseason play out and see who gets to the top.

I'm putting forth what the game stats said....which showed he had a good game.

That same stat actually agreed with my assessment of upshall....at the bottom.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
His passing is better than he gets credit for. I think this is a case of he needs support and confidence to do what he does best. Similar to Kassian in that merit. These players have been men amongst boys for most of their younger path, they've never had to really commit the way others have.

Desjardins ruined much more than that's seen. Support for kids is important. Like I said, despite the pay cheque these guys are still figuring it all out. If only we gave Kassian the opportunity maybe things would have been different (not going to discuss off ice things because it's too murky and not important).

I loved the Green hiring from the get go. Liking everything I am seeing and hearing. Think he is a good up and coming coach. But you really start to get the sense how useless Willie D was by the short comparison already.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

And everyone has said as much. But at this point Jake has an uphill battle on a steep incline to even passively justify his draft position. I, just like everyone on this board, want him to succeed but it's going to take more than one good game to get there.

It is great to see him taking it seriously, I want to think Green had an involvement in that. He doesn't have to force a spot on the team but at +3 draft he needs to at the very minimum prove to be a last cut.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

That same stat actually agreed with my assessment of upshall....at the bottom.

Please don't put Upshall on this team at the expense of a first round draft pick playing better like Boeser or Virtanen. Really don't care if he kills penalties. Just senseless for a 29th place team not to play the future. The good teams infuse young players, surely a team at the bottom should.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
And everyone has said as much. But at this point Jake has an uphill battle on a steep incline to even passively justify his draft position. I, just like everyone on this board, want him to succeed but it's going to take more than one good game to get there.

It is great to see him taking it seriously, I want to think Green had an involvement in that. He doesn't have to force a spot on the team but at +3 draft he needs to at the very minimum prove to be a last cut.

I'm really not sure your point of all this? I shared an article and it had a stat I thought was cool.

I don't think I ever said it was going to take one game or alluded in that post to anyone wanting him to fail.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Please don't put Upshall on this team at the expense of a first round draft pick playing better like Boeser or Virtanen. Really don't care if he kills penalties. Just senseless for a 29th place team not to play the future. The good teams infuse young players, surely a team at the bottom should.

Yeah, I was not a fan yesterday of him at all.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
I loved the Green hiring from the get go. Liking everything I am seeing and hearing. Think he is a good up and coming coach. But you really start to get the sense how useless Willie D was by the short comparison already.
No, you don't.

Willie D was a great coach for this organization, and almost willed a sad sack group of players to the playoffs last season based off a well-designed, conservative system.

He's admired around the league for the job he did in Vancouver last season; only Vancouver fans can't see that he squeezed every drop of winning potential out of last season's roster, having them playing meaningful games in February, while developing Baertschi, Granlund, Horvat and Stecher.

He had flaws like every coach has, especially illuminated when they are coaching a pitiful roster, but calling him "useless" after a single preseason game couldn't be more wrong-headed.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
LOL - great coach? I guess you missed the Flames-Canucks playoffs series. Yikes, what an incredibly moronic overstatement.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
No, you don't.

Willie D was a great coach for this organization, and almost willed a sad sack group of players to the playoffs last season based off a well-designed, conservative system.

He's admired around the league for the job he did in Vancouver last season; only Vancouver fans can't see that he squeezed every drop of winning potential out of last season's roster, having them playing meaningful games in February, while developing Baertschi, Granlund, Horvat and Stecher.

He had flaws like every coach has, especially illuminated when they are coaching a pitiful roster, but calling him "useless" after a single preseason game couldn't be more wrong-headed.

Line matching is a literal fundamental in even lower tier midget leagues. WD refused to do it.

He tried to shoehorn Horvat into a defensive role because "he was scoring too much".

Out of all the cancers that run this team Desjardins may have been the worst. Don't confuse his Olympic position with anything meaningful -- any coach worthwhile is already under NHL contract.

And I say this as a fence sitter on Green.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Line matching is a literal fundamental in even lower tier midget leagues. WD refused to do it.

He tried to shoehorn Horvat into a defensive role because "he was scoring too much".

Out of all the cancers that run this team Desjardins may have been the worst. Don't confuse his Olympic position with anything meaningful -- any coach worthwhile is already under NHL contract.

And I say this as a fence sitter on Green.
It's called player development, and you can learn all about it here, so I don't have to waste my morning:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/vancouver-sun/20170408/282462823782689

That article is from one of WD's biggest detractors, and even he still can see that his 3 biggest wins are Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund.

Some have this idea maybe from EA sports that player development is just "give him all the ice time!"

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's called player development, and you can learn all about it here, so I don't have to waste my morning:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/vancouver-sun/20170408/282462823782689

That article is from one of WD's biggest detractors, and even he still can see that his 3 biggest wins are Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund.

Some have this idea maybe from EA sports that player development is just "give him all the ice time!"

You put young and talented players in a position to excel. It's not rocket science. You can put lipstick on a pig and call it a beauty queen but those are still just words.

I don't know why you are holding media fluff as gospel but you're free to do that. Most of us saw how Desjardins would refuse to put players in beneficial situations at the cost of winning because he wanted to roll lines.

Literally his game plan was roll lines 1-4, lather, rinse and repeat. If you can come up with a legitimate argument of why we constantly saw Megna and Chaput riding shot gun with the twins when younger and legitimate "foundational" players are getting the shaft I would love to hear it. That's not development -- that is pandering to your "hardworking" waiver fodder and all it did was screw over the players we actually need to develop for the future.

Literally not one poster is suggesting to gift ice time -- but given that we have finished 28th and 29th respectively the last two years, I would much rather see a high talent rookie who's earned it get the spot over a last chance PTO guy.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Horvat did little, and well he should. He has nothing to prove in pre season games. I think they only reason they dressed him was to show him off a tad for the contract.

Like everyone else, was pleased with Virtanen and Boeser. The Canucks will sell more tickets and do better if they fit these 2 into the lineup (assuming that they both continue to do well).

Sorry for the guys on PTO's but its a tough profession. Talking to ex-NHL'ers - theres always someone wanting your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad