JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Finally, begone preseason!

200.gif

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don’t get the entire Oesterle thing. He’s the same player he’s always been. Nothings ever structured. Just beats to his own drum out there. Yes, Newpower got turned inside out but Oesterle didn’t support him at all.

Speaking of, on Nylander’s 2nd PP goal, Lindstrom reverted back to what he did a lot last year. Starts chasing the puck and ends up out of position. He’s played pretty well this preseason but you don’t like seeing anyone chasing the puck in the NHL.
Oesterle was more frustrating on that play for sure. He should know better. Newpower is an AHLer making an AHLer plays against a more established, skilled player. Oesterle I can't wait to be off the roster.

I like Lindstrom. He plays a simple game and is fairly safe. He's had a few mistakes this preseason, but the good outweighs the bad and I'm perfectly comfortable with him as the #6 getting #6 minutes for now.

Reactions: Petes2424

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Smith seems to have actually become less mobile than he was.

I once had high hopes for that lad, I thought maybe the Wings skating coach would make some magic. Just so slow. I don't see anyone picking him up. Vegas? These Leafs? No way.

Yep, Zadina's still doing the same thing he always has: He'll occasionally dazzle with a slick little move on the perimeter, but then he'll dump the puck in as soon as a defender closes on him, like he's allergic to physical contact. If we're not serious about trying for playoffs this year (which would take a miracle and result in a quick exit) then we should try to pair Zadina up with a good complementary wing (Bert? I know they both shoot left, but other than that, they're opposites of one another) and a decent center (wish we had a better 3rd line center) and give him one last chance to go on a heater.

Then trade Zadina for whatever we can get for him.
Thing is, Zadina can be a really good bottom six player. Really good. So they probably don’t wanna just cut bait. With his new deal, they don’t have to move him but this keeps up, he’ll end up buried with no opportunities to move up. Think he’ll still keep getting PP time because of his shot but even that will start going away as he settles into the bottom 6.

Right now Kubalik is a much better option to move up when there’s opportunities. He’ll start taking those opportunities from Zadina this year. No doubt about it.

Perfect example just happened with him. Johansson chipped the puck up and Zadina stopped, as if Johannson wasn’t going to be able to make the play. He literally stopped on the ice, and took a chance away from himself.
Compare that to Rasmussen’s goal the other night. Zadina would’ve watched that pass he made (if he were RAS) and would’ve never been in position to accept the return pass.

It’s frustrating but it’s the biggest difference between really good AHL scoring players and Top 6 NHL scoring players.

If a team offered a 3rd round pick, it could be time to take it and run. They just have to many quality young players these days.

Back to Smith, 100% agree. I swear he’s slower too. I’ve watched him for a long time and thought he could be a pace changing role player.

Looks like those chances are over.

He can bang though and Vegas especially needs a complexly revamped bottom 6. They’ll start doing that come Monday when all their LTIR money sets in. So they’re actively looking as the Leafs are looking for one or two. The Leafs have too many Malgin types (he should make it) and not enough Simmonds types. The problem with Simmonds is, he’s physically done and likely gets cut.

So there’s teams looking for a player like Smith. Think they’ll be disappointed but his reputation might get him looks.

I’d be floored if they keep him over Erne.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Leafs are already going to be playing with a shortened roster as soon as Tavares is healthy ... which could be game #1. They have no cap remaining.

No way they can consider Smith. If he can't make the Wings, he can't help the Leafs.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think the processing speed is a function of over-thinking things. He needs a sports psychologist to work on that self doubt. It's self-fulfilling. Just simplify everything. Doubt can be debilitating.

It's almost nervous energy. Right before that miss when they were moving it around I was thinking that he's stick-handling almost twice as fast as Vrana. You could hear who had the puck without seeing it almost.
He definitely presses and grips the stick, I think he is probably pretty hard on himself and gets down on himself. None of which is good. But since he became a regular, he's just never really shown that he can anticipate the game like other, high-end offensive players. He takes too long to make that move, to get that shot off. He doesn't anticipate, and as a result his shot lacks touch and deception.

This is all an argument against him being a top-6 player on a good team. He's still good enough to carve out a 3rd-line role in the NHL though.

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He definitely presses and grips the stick, I think he is probably pretty hard on himself and gets down on himself. None of which is good. But since he became a regular, he's just never really shown that he can anticipate the game like other, high-end offensive players. He takes too long to make that move, to get that shot off. He doesn't anticipate, and as a result his shot lacks touch and deception.

This is all an argument against him being a top-6 player on a good team. He's still good enough to carve out a 3rd-line role in the NHL though.
He's thinking instead of playing.

And yes, some chuckleheads will argue that's he's not worth a spot in GR. He's a more than capable middle-6 player in the NHL.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Zadina had 3 Excellent games.
1 Average
1 Bad

and this game he probably still is the best wing on the ice

Whether he’s scoring or not

Truth. Only takes missing one chance for these guys to justify themselves. Atleast he was a threat.

Just because some people around here open mindendly see the game and aren't all emotion driven and pointed out how well Zadina has played in this preseason. Doesn't mean any of those people ever suggested that he was some type of top line winger. The kid had a great pre-season. Reality is, he's a pretty good 3rd liner. 3rd liners typically don't score 25 goals a year, so don't expect Zadina to do that this season. That's just a Pejorative Slured expectation. You guys just can't handle the emotions of a high pick not panning out and turn on them. Probably the same guys who have to hate their ex gfs/wives after they left your asses in order to feel good about yourself and go on.

I think Zadina had a great preseason. At the same time my post history shows I have always openly stated I'm not optimistic about him progressing to anything significant. I have however stated, that I would not even consider trading Ras last year when everyone wanted him and Zadina sent packing. So if some of these comments are about being right and rubbing it in my face along with a couple others, I was never wrong about Zadina because I never made a statement outside of having a good in pre-season and I'm still up +1 on not trading Ras. If you guys that all wanted to get rid of Ras still want to, shows either how little you know or how stupid you are. If you guys can't atleast credit Zadina for having a good preseason, I just don't know what is wrong with your brains. Why so much need to hate on someone so hard? If Zadina carves out a role being a 3rd line player, good for him, I'll take him. He's a Red Wings draft pick and much happier with him there than some 30 year old vet we picked up. The kid is pretty solid and a responsible player with some ability to chip in some offense. Some teams might have a better player on their 3rd line, but not 3 of them. That would be a rare scenario for any team to have that luxury let alone sustain it with the cap.

Around here it's either elite player or get the hell out. I'm sure I'll be waiting my entire life to not ever see these high standards of a roster be met. What I really want to know, is if we chase out all the solid depth players and we have all these 8-11 million dollar contracts from these perfect players, how we going to ice a full team? We need Rasmussens, Hroneks, even maybe a Zadina. We really don't have anyone better for the job right now. Kubalik has showed a nice shot, but at this point I haven't seen him do a whole lot either. As much of a fan of Berggren I am, he hasn't been a better player on the ice than Zadina.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Truth. Only takes missing one chance for these guys to justify themselves. Atleast he was a threat.

Just because some people around here open mindendly see the game and aren't all emotion driven and pointed out how well Zadina has played in this preseason. Doesn't mean any of those people ever suggested that he was some type of top line winger. The kid had a great pre-season. Reality is, he's a pretty good 3rd liner. 3rd liners typically don't score 25 goals a year, so don't expect Zadina to do that this season. That's just a Pejorative Slured expectation. You guys just can't handle the emotions of a high pick not panning out and turn on them. Probably the same guys who have to hate their ex gfs/wives after they left your asses in order to feel good about yourself and go on.

I think Zadina had a great preseason. At the same time my post history shows I have always openly stated I'm not optimistic about him progressing to anything significant. I have however stated, that I would not even consider trading Ras last year when everyone wanted him and Zadina sent packing. So if some of these comments are about being right and rubbing it in my face along with a couple others, I was never wrong about Zadina because I never made a statement outside of having a good in pre-season and I'm still up +1 on not trading Ras. If you guys that all wanted to get rid of Ras still want to, shows either how little you know or how stupid you are. If you guys can't atleast credit Zadina for having a good preseason, I just don't know what is wrong with your brains. Why so much need to hate on someone so hard? If Zadina carves out a role being a 3rd line player, good for him, I'll take him. He's a Red Wings draft pick and much happier with him there than some 30 year old vet we picked up. The kid is pretty solid and a responsible player with some ability to chip in some offense. Some teams might have a better player on their 3rd line, but not 3 of them. That would be a rare scenario for any team to have that luxury let alone sustain it with the cap.

Around here it's either elite player or get the hell out. I'm sure I'll be waiting my entire life to not ever see these high standards of a roster be met. What I really want to know, is if we chase out all the solid depth players and we have all these 8-11 million dollar contracts from these perfect players, how we going to ice a full team? We need Rasmussens, Hroneks, even maybe a Zadina. We really don't have anyone better for the job right now. Kubalik has showed a nice shot, but at this point I haven't seen him do a whole lot either. As much of a fan of Berggren I am, he hasn't been a better player on the ice than Zadina.
Sometimes it feels like posters are expecting the 2002 Wing roster, but I sit here and think, "There's no f'n way this dude was alive and able to remember the 2002 team", so who knows...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oesterle was more frustrating on that play for sure. He should know better. Newpower is an AHLer making an AHLer plays against a more established, skilled player. Oesterle I can't wait to be off the roster.

I like Lindstrom. He plays a simple game and is fairly safe. He's had a few mistakes this preseason, but the good outweighs the bad and I'm perfectly comfortable with him as the #6 getting #6 minutes for now.
Yea, I think he’s earned it to open the season. Lindstrom has been pretty good this camp. I will however wager though, he won’t end up playing much if he’s still in Detroit come February. Also don’t think that will have anything to do with Pysyk returning either. It’ll be because of Johansson.

Thought it was interesting Johannson played on the right side a little bit tonight. Now I don’t think they’d want to have him playing his offside when he does come up this year but you never know. You can’t keep a kid that good, buried in the AHL. He’s going to force their hand at some point. Likely the first time he’s called up. They won’t want to send him back. The 30-40 games he can get in this year would be really important going into next year.

I do know Chiarot has played significant time on the right side in his career and I’m pretty sure Maata has too. So they’ll have some options.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Sometimes it feels like posters are expecting the 2002 Wing roster, but I sit here and think, "There's no f'n way this dude was alive and able to remember the 2002 team", so who knows...
2002 team will never happen again, as long as there is a cap.
We'd be lucky to get another 2008 team at this point to have a chance.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
2002 team will never happen again, as long as there is a cap.
We'd be lucky to get another 2008 team at this point to have a chance.
We would need Ed, Kasper, and Soderblom to absolutely max out their potential (while still on their ELCs) and our gaggle of Czech wingers to be at least 20/20 guys.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Why are you so defensive? Is Zadina your uncle?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad