GDT: Pre Season Game 7: Red Wings vs leafs 10/7/22 7:30 pm et (BSD,NHLN)

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Totally agree, Should've been a blow out.

He cut it awhile ago for charity?
I don't think you guys were playing at 100, prob 85-90% just enough to win type thing.
If the game mattered I bet it would have been 6 or 7-1 for u guys with these rosters.
So for the game tomorrow are you guys going full AHL roster or are you going to play a few bubble guys fighting for spots?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I don't think you guys were playing at 100, prob 85-90% just enough to win type thing.
If the game mattered I bet it would have been 6 or 7-1 for u guys with these rosters.
So for the game tomorrow are you guys going full AHL roster or are you going to play a few bubble guys fighting for spots?
TBD.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In the game tomorrow will you guys have anyone fighting for spots?
I think that was a factor why the game was close, our guys fighting for spots were trying big time while your A team was just going through the motions

I dont think its really been said for sure what type of roster theyll have tomorrow but its the last preseason game so I bet its a mostly NHL roster. There will be some young bubble guys like Berggren, Soderblom, Johansson and Edsvinson I'm sure but no one knows how many spots are actually bubble spots with Yzerman.

I think Soderblom made the team with that goal tonight but a lot of the young guys are up in the air, Yzerman wont hesitate to keep the best players in the line up either

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Largely AHL, but per Lalonde this morning a few of the guys playing tonight will play tomorrow. A mix of guys that need reps (so maybe Bertuzzi and/or Veleno that had been hurt earlier in camp) and guys that are on the bubble. So again Veleno, maybe Elmer, maybe Ed. That and anyone that maybe asks for a bit more practice time. Kubalik has been in 6 of 7. Not sure if that's been his choice or the staff, but that's a load.

Reactions: The Zermanator

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think that 85-90% is lack of team chemistry right now. A lot of new faces and line combinations. If this team can come together and there are a couple surprises from rookies it's going to be a pretty good group.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I dont think its really been said for sure what type of roster theyll have tomorrow but its the last preseason game so I bet its a mostly NHL roster. There will be some young bubble guys like Berggren, Soderblom, Johansson and Edsvinson I'm sure but no one knows how many spots are actually bubble spots with Yzerman.

I think Soderblom made the team with that goal tonight but a lot of the young guys are up in the air, Yzerman wont hesitate to keep the best players in the line up either
Lalonde has already stated that our roster tomorrow will look pretty similar to the Leafs from tonight. Only a handful from tonight will play tomorrow. Guys that need reps or a couple more looks.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Elmer is out too for tomorrow. So decisions have been made with Simon and Soderblom.

Or at least all the necessary looks. With both having good games, that's a good sign. At least leaves the best foot forward.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think that 85-90% is lack of team chemistry right now. A lot of new faces and line combinations. If this team can come together and there are a couple surprises from rookies it's going to be a pretty good group.
Also...every center has been centering a different line in practice, except for Larkin

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Elmer is out too for tomorrow. So decisions have been made with Simon and Soderblom.

Or at least all the necessary looks. With both having good games, that's a good sign. At least leaves the best foot forward.

I hope that's what it means but you never know. You would think if either of them were getting sent down they would give them that last game of experience. So it's sounding good.

If Soderblom is staying I don't see Berggren making this team right now. The only other spot that seems like it could be up for grabs is Veleno pushing out Suter.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I hope that's what it means but you never know. You would think if either of them were getting sent down they would give them that last game of experience. So it's sounding good.

If Soderblom is staying I don't see Berggren making this team right now. The only other spot that seems like it could be up for grabs is Veleno pushing out Suter.
Berggren is in a rough spot because he can't do what Soderblom does which is just bully the opposition and take over a shift single-handedly. But on a scoring line I think Berggren would have similar levels of production as Soderblom.

And agreed on Veleno Suter. I think Veleno brings more as a center than Suter. And then Soderblom/Sundqvist are better suited for 4th line wingers than Suter as well. Though it'll probably be Erne until Sundqvist is healthy.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Berggren is in a rough spot because he can't do what Soderblom does which is just bully the opposition and take over a shift single-handedly. But on a scoring line I think Berggren would have similar levels of production as Soderblom.

And agreed on Veleno Suter. I think Veleno brings more as a center than Suter. And then Soderblom/Sundqvist are better suited for 4th line wingers than Suter as well. Though it'll probably be Erne until Sundqvist is healthy.

Yeah I agree that Berggren could be a part of an NHL team with where he currently stands, atleast get a decent stint to show himself. Unfortunately there just aren't any open spots for him on the top 3 lines. I do feel for him though as he has proven himself at all levels. Soderblom obviously is a good fit to start his career on the 4th line and that's the difference.

Berggren would have had to really turn some heads to make this team. Because at that point we are talking taking spots from guys like Zadina. I know guys are low on Zadina and I understand why, but in reality he is unargueably a clear tier above guys like Erne and Suter and still has potentiol.

Berggren will be the first winger callup once we get some injuries. So he will get his chance as well.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah I agree that Berggren could be a part of an NHL team with where he currently stands, atleast get a decent stint to show himself. Unfortunately there just aren't any open spots for him on the top 3 lines. I do feel for him though as he has proven himself at all levels. Soderblom obviously is a good fit to start his career on the 4th line and that's the difference.

Berggren would have had to really turn some heads to make this team. Because at that point we are talking taking spots from guys like Zadina. I know guys are low on Zadina and I understand why, but in reality he is unargueably a clear tier above guys like Erne and Suter and still has potentiol.

Berggren will be the first winger callup once we get some injuries. So he will get his chance as well.
Hopefully on said chances he slots in on wherever the hole is and not slot into the 4th line spot from whoever got bumped up. Say if Kubalik misses a couple weeks. Stick Berggren in Kubalik's spot and not Soderblom's spot on the 4th (if that's where he's at hypothetically).

Reactions: haulinbass

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Hopefully on said chances he slots in on wherever the hole is and not slot into the 4th line spot from whoever got bumped up. Say if Kubalik misses a couple weeks. Stick Berggren in Kubalik's spot and not Soderblom's spot on the 4th (if that's where he's at hypothetically).

I think your on the money on how its going to go.

Atleast until we find out our 4th line is Erne - Suter - Sundqvist and all the kids including Edvinsson got sent down 🤣

Oh wait, Holland is gone

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
After tonight...I'm going to guess that Edvinsson and Soderblom say with the club. They are too noticeable and make the team better than whoever would be replacing them in the lineup. Considering Ed played with Hronek and he drove that pair, I'd say he's currently our 3rd best D-man. Aside from the game against Washington, he has played better and better. If the challenge from Lalonde was to see how he would respond, it's pretty obvious he accepted and met that challenge.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
I think your on the money on how its going to go.

Atleast until we find out our 4th line is Erne - Suter - Sundqvist and all the kids including Edvinsson got sent down 🤣

Oh wait, Holland is gone
I think Edvinsson starts in Grand Rapids. He needs a heavier workload to develop more. He will get called up during the season.

Soderblom's puck possession is impressive. Weak Leaf lineup or not he stood out, and the team really carried the play.

I see a huge change from last years team who were constantly chasing the puck.

Veleno, Berggren, Erne, Suter are all going to be fighting for a spot every time on the ice. Guys are going to be moving around a lot this season. Injuries occur, and the depth is there to force Steve to keep guys hungry.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'm in Vegas and missed the game. Sounds like the highlights are worth catching tomorrow though.

Man this town is fun for a few days.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think Edvinsson will stay with the club. Possibly also Soderblom.

Edvinsson wil get 13-14 minutes a game, and that's really fine, and he'll move up the line up as Maata and Chiarot needs rest or get injured. He'll probably see some PK2 time as well. He's not used to the heavy NHL schedule, so I really think those minutes will be fine. Previous coaches have said he's a fast learner, and we've already seen that first hand in training camp.

I don't think Soderblom or Berggren will beat out the competition for a top 9 role. I think Soderblom makes a better fit for a fourth line role over Berggren. And, I think Soderblom could do well on the powerplay as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad