GDT: Pre Season Game 7: Red Wings vs leafs 10/7/22 7:30 pm et (BSD,NHLN)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
i don’t think veleno has been awfully impressive either. Pick your poison for 4th C spot.

Veleno isn't really getting outmuscled though. It kinda sucks that Veleno is looking only like a bottom line center but I think we can bank on him improving somewhat and maybe becoming a solid PK, 20-30 point guy. Suter is just trash.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd say try and trade him for a late round pick to clear a spot. Let Ras and Veleno be the 3 and 4 C. If there's an injury use someone from GR or a winger there. Fabbri will eventually be back and can play some center.
Injuries is the one thing I'm kind of hesitant about. I mean, Suter would by far be the best option as the spare forward since he is a center. Just a bit pricey at $3m...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Injuries is the one thing I'm kind of hesitant about. I mean, Suter would by far be the best option as the spare forward since he is a center. Just a bit pricey at $3m...

That's why I don't like the idea of Suter as the 13th forward. I get that Detroit isn't hurting for cap space but Suter just doesn't provide anything for the money that someone else can't. And we saw how bad he was in a 2C role last season.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah splits are bad because you don't get much time on either end to move the puck around. But 2 seconds isn't a whole lot. Yeah you probably lose 10-15 having to get from center ice to setup in the zone (provided you win the draw) but we'll see.
I think the best theory is just that guys get taken out of their rhythm with the intermission, and need some ice time to get back into that rhythm. So some amount of time to start the period is just getting back up to game speed for a lot of guys.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think the best theory is just that guys get taken out of their rhythm with the intermission, and need some ice time to get back into that rhythm. So some amount of time to start the period is just getting back up to game speed for a lot of guys.
So rhythm vs fresh ice. Hm... gonna have to pay attention to that.

[promptly forgets what we were talking about]

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Veleno has at least been assertive with his speed and physicality. Suter is just kind of there.
Lol. Didn't see this post before I said the same thing about Veleno.

I've got no love for Suter. Guy has been filler since he was signed. I'm fine playing Veleno over him, but I also barely care. Both are vanilla.

So rhythm vs fresh ice. Hm... gonna have to pay attention to that.

[promptly forgets what we were talking about]
Ice dancing.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Yeah, I've seen the stat pop up a few times over the years. PPs to start the period (whether a full two minutes, or a partial carryover) have the lowest rate of success of any other part of the period. There are theories as to why, but it's been a consistent thing.

Of course, I just used a little reverse jinx here and Detroit will of course score on this one. Ya'll are welcome.
Not surprising, always takes a while to get going again after the intermission.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Still not sure what Veleno does. He's got to be the most boring Wings prospect I've ever seen. Doesn't do anything especially poorly and doesn't do anything great. He's just kinda there.
He's growing on me only because of his work ethic. Seems very disipline and responsible for his age. I can see him improving each year and playing a shutdown role. He is super boring though — lol.

I would put him in over Suter at this point.

Reactions: Filppula and jaster

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Something has clicked for Rasmussen imo, looks way better than he did a year ago.

He is an absolute beast. So good at carrying the puck and protecting it in O-zone. Actually making hits and also seems faster this year. Definitley most improved player on the team.

Veleno has been a monster too. Kid is really using that strength of his. I hope he makes it. Would really add to the physicality of this team which has the potentiol to be a team strength.

If Soderblom makes the team, which is looking more and more convincing... Wow are we going to be a nightmare.

Edvinsson has been smoother this game. Continues to do good things, 3 bad plays in this game but nothing I'm going to complain about. Much better than the rest of his games.

Zadina hasn't been as good as he was the first few showings, but definitely still looking better than last year.

Would like to see more out of Raymond besides a couple slick passes per game. I criticize him only because my expectation for him are greater than the other players.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lol. Didn't see this post before I said the same thing about Veleno.

I've got no love for Suter. Guy has been filler since he was signed. I'm fine playing Veleno over him, but I also barely care. Both are vanilla.

Ice dancing.
I want to see more of Veleno. See what he can do with the kind of icetime Suter has gotten. I think there could be Cleary but at center in him. 20/20 hard skating and physical. Perfect sort of middle 6 guy.

Oh man, Ray

Oh man, Larkin

Is this where we rip them saying "this is where goal scorers have to score"?

Last edited:
Reactions: haulinbass

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
PP go go go

Veteran play by Larkin there squeezing the elbow.

Is that the 2nd stick that Kubalik has exploded in 3 games? Better check that shipment, dude.

Bert.... so close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad