GDT: Pre-season game #6 Sharks @ Yotes 7:00pm

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
If Hertl can have somewhere in the 20 goal range this season, I would call that a good year. It will be interesting to see how he does more than a year removed from the injury and maybe that tentativeness being gone.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
3 goals on Mike Smith? Must be a leap year! Even for a preseason game.

Maybe he should petition the league to let them allow him to wear another 300 pounds of body armor, ****ing pad billboard.

And they signed Blimpback to back him up, I'm not convinced they aren't purposely losing after that one.

DeBoer better not shun Hertl.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Fat lady sung.... 3-0 Sharks win.

Scoring
-----------------
Dillon - 1 assist
Pavelski - 2 goals
Marleau - 1 assist
Thornton - 1 assist
Couture - 1 assist
Hertl - 1 goal and 1 assist
Nieto - 1 assist

PIM
-----
Dillon - 4
Tennyson - 2

M. Jones - 18 saves, 1.000 save %

My Stars:
1- Pavelski
2- Hertl
3- M. Jones

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Not gonna lie, Jones has been extremely impressive this preseason.

I was thinking that during this game as well. NHL has Jones as the 2nd star, and Hertl as the 3rd. I had thought to give Jones the 2nd star but he was cruising tonight with just 18 SOGs. If he was over 25 SOGs I would have though.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Will Stalock get the start for tomorrow's Duck game, or Jones?

I'd like to see Marleau step up his presence on the ice tomorrow as well.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Will Stalock get the start for tomorrow's Duck game, or Jones?

I'd like to see Marleau step up his presence on the ice tomorrow as well.
Stalock is starting. I assume a bunch of the AHLers that were recently called up will come into the lineup for some of the veterans as well. I may be going to the game tomorrow.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Yeah Jones is the real deal. Hands down better than Niemi in every way.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Yeah Jones is the real deal. Hands down better than Niemi in every way.

He's only proven he deserves to be the starter. He is good but hasn't proven he can get through an NHL season yet. Give shooters the time to discover tendencies and he will hit a wall at some point. Staylock will be depended on at some point. He is going to need to take a breath. We don't need him playing 50 games then (lord willing) having him collapse in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's only proven he deserves to be the starter. He is good but hasn't proven he can get through an NHL season yet. Give shooters the time to discover tendencies and he will hit a wall at some point. Staylock will be depended on at some point. He is going to need to take a breath. We don't need him playing 50 games then (lord willing) having him collapse in the playoffs.

Yeah I think it's a little early to say he's better than Niemi, a lot of people here made Niemi out to be worse than he really was. There were also some who made Stalock out to be way better than he really was, based on how good he was in 13-14. And remember, Niemi has had some of these hot streaks himself, where he looked a lot better than he really was. The entire lockout season comes to mind, which was also the same season that Ray Emery (worst goaltender in the league before he recently washed out of it) was really good, and Carey Price was really bad. Not the best season to base things on, a lot of flukes that season.

Both Stalock and Jones were off the charts in 13-14, then both regressed in 14-15. Jones definitely has the higher ceiling of the two. I think he should be able to play 50 games or more. Probably even 60 I'm thinking. We still really don't know if 13-14 Jones or 14-15 Jones is the real Jones, just like we don't really know yet if 13-14 Stalock or 14-15 Stalock is the real Stalock.

I'm gonna say neither are as good as they were in 13-14, neither is nearly as bad as they were last season.

Jones has the much higher ceiling in my mind, he's also 3 years younger. Stalock is probably a pretty good backup/goalie that can start a decent stretch of games if injury occurs to a starter and can probably develop a hot streak.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under

Not 50 games? Then he's not the first stringer at all.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
50 games is a low number for a #1 goalie. How many #1 goalies started less than 50 games last season? the only ones who did either were out with an injury at some point or struggled and lost the starting job. Or was like the Blues who just didn't have a true #1 and did split duty.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

did you see any tendencies that could be exploited? i didn't. yeah only a few games, but niemi's were obvious from the start.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
did you see any tendencies that could be exploited? i didn't. yeah only a few games, but niemi's were obvious from the start.

Yea the rebounds were pretty noticeable. I remember we liked Nitty quite a bit when he first got here though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad