GDT: Pre-season game #6 Sharks @ Yotes 7:00pm

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Niemi couldn't do anything right for this fan base. He wasn't elite outside of 1 season, but he wasn't horrid.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Why was niemi not seen as a god then?

Not after the 3-0 then failure loss to the Kings in the playoffs just prior. All he could have hoped for is to save some face.

In fact, that's all that win was for the Sharks... just some face saving.

Time for the Sharks to move forward and put that behind them for good.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Yeah I think it's a little early to say he's better than Niemi, a lot of people here made Niemi out to be worse than he really was. There were also some who made Stalock out to be way better than he really was, based on how good he was in 13-14. And remember, Niemi has had some of these hot streaks himself, where he looked a lot better than he really was. The entire lockout season comes to mind, which was also the same season that Ray Emery (worst goaltender in the league before he recently washed out of it) was really good, and Carey Price was really bad. Not the best season to base things on, a lot of flukes that season.

Both Stalock and Jones were off the charts in 13-14, then both regressed in 14-15. Jones definitely has the higher ceiling of the two. I think he should be able to play 50 games or more. Probably even 60 I'm thinking. We still really don't know if 13-14 Jones or 14-15 Jones is the real Jones, just like we don't really know yet if 13-14 Stalock or 14-15 Stalock is the real Stalock.

I'm gonna say neither are as good as they were in 13-14, neither is nearly as bad as they were last season.

Jones has the much higher ceiling in my mind, he's also 3 years younger. Stalock is probably a pretty good backup/goalie that can start a decent stretch of games if injury occurs to a starter and can probably develop a hot streak.

How do you feel about Jones' pads?

:naughty:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Niemi couldn't do anything right for this fan base. He wasn't elite outside of 1 season, but he wasn't horrid.

I've been a Niemi defender for years. I think he's a perfectly average starting NHL goaltender. The problem is that when the going got tough, Niemi stepped down. For example, I place 95% of the blame for that last Kings series on Niemi. He was atrocious. And that's when it mattered.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Yea the rebounds were pretty noticeable. I remember we liked Nitty quite a bit when he first got here though.

I didn't think his rebound control was a problem. In fact he controls rebounds quite well when the crease is crowded. It's a strength as far as I've seen. He is also very good at redirecting shots into harmless areas.

Goalies give up rebounds.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

He was never really elite, it was the Sharks that were elite. As we saw before we got him, an elite team can make him seem elite.

As soon as the Sharks were not elite anymore, he was terrible. He has too many fundamental weaknesses that can be exploited if the skaters lose battles.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I've been a Niemi defender for years. I think he's a perfectly average starting NHL goaltender. The problem is that when the going got tough, Niemi stepped down. For example, I place 95% of the blame for that last Kings series on Niemi. He was atrocious. And that's when it mattered.

100% agree. Niemi was also horrific in the conference finals versus the Canucks. I remember him allowing something like 3 goals on 16 shots in game 4. Granted there were 5 on 3s, but he let an attempted Sedin pass go through his 5 hole for a goal.

Dallas has a super-charged offense and puck-moving d-core, but I doubt they have the d-zone awareness to make a long playoff run with Niemi.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
100% agree. Niemi was also horrific in the conference finals versus the Canucks. I remember him allowing something like 3 goals on 16 shots in game 4. Granted there were 5 on 3s, but he let an attempted Sedin pass go through his 5 hole for a goal.

Dallas has a super-charged offense and puck-moving d-core, but I doubt they have the d-zone awareness to make a long playoff run with Niemi.

That Sedin pass through the 5-hole was a nightmare. Like almost as bad as the stanchion. Classic Sharks goal against.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Another problem both Nabby and Niemi faced was their tendency to struggle if they didn't get constant action. How many times the Sharks would spend dominating in their offensive zone, only to see the other team come the other way and score on a rather weak chance? Most goalies are like that; they need frequent rubber to stay in the game. If Jones could break that trend, it would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad