QQJ0RGd.gif

Assist (sweet give-and-go with Sheahan)

mI7MGuR.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
That's just an incredible feed by Sheahy. Threads the needle between 3 Pen's players and sticks.

Check out this play by bertuzzi. Gains zone by himself with good maneuvering, then passes it through malkin and kessel to sproul WHO SHOULD HAVE PASSED IT TO A WIDE OPEN MANTHA for an easy goal, but didn't. Great play by bertuzzi anyway.

https://youtu.be/Its1VUQWnaM?t=1m52s (I didn't embed cause otherwise I cant timestamp it)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Check out this play by bertuzzi. Gains zone by himself with good maneuvering, then passes it through malkin and kessel to sproul WHO SHOULD HAVE PASSED IT TO A WIDE OPEN MANTHA for an easy goal, but didn't. Great play by bertuzzi anyway.

https://youtu.be/Its1VUQWnaM?t=1m52s (I didn't embed cause otherwise I cant timestamp it)

Can't believe he's not gonna get a serious chance at a callup this season...

I think Sproul is letting the pressure get to him. He's getting older, running out of time, and hasn't really put up a great GR season or great preseason games. He wants goals goals goals to make a statement and he's tunneling on it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't believe he's not gonna get a serious chance at a callup this season...

I think Sproul is letting the pressure get to him. He's getting older, running out of time, and hasn't really put up a great GR season or great preseason games. He wants goals goals goals to make a statement and he's tunneling on it.

That play aside, I thought Sproul played a good game last night. Keep in mind guy will need an adjustment period at the NHL level, and he only has 1 NHL game to his name so far.

As far as Bertuzzi goes, I think he has been solid. I'm not super upset there isn't a spot for him, to be honest. He hasn't even been able to put together a good regular season in the AHL yet, and I think he needs to continue to gain weight to play how he wants to play at the NHL level. I'm way more concerned for not having a spot for AA, with how effortlessly he moves the puck up ice and gains the zone.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sproul had at least a couple "odd" plays I thought. Including the one where it resulted in a shorty because of an errant Pulks pass.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sproul had at least a couple "odd" plays I thought. Including the one where it resulted in a shorty because of an errant Pulks pass.

I saw some bad plays from him. I also saw overall a good facilitator on the point on the PP, and I saw him step up into dead ares quite a few times to get good scoring chances.

That's what you're going to get with Ryan Sproul. I think if he is given time to adjust though, he would prove to be a viable option for our 6 man defensive unit.

I would rather play skilled players that make brain farts than safe guys who don't mess up but provide little otherwise.

Last edited:

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I saw some bad plays from him. I also saw overall a good facilitator on the point on the PP, and I saw him step up into dead ares quite a few times to get good scoring chances.

That's what you're going to get with Ryan Sproul. I think if he is given time to adjust though, he would prove to be a viable option for our 6 man defensive unit.

I would rather play skilled players that make brain farts than safe guys who don't mess up but provide little otherwise.

I hope you support Brendan Smith as he is the definition of this.

Smith needs to be given a 2PP role and second pairing duties. He elevates himself in bigger competition clearly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
[/B]

I hope you support Brendan Smith as he is the definition of this.

Smith needs to be given a 2PP role and second pairing duties. He elevates himself in bigger competition clearly.

I want him in our top 6, wouldn't even mind him in the top 4. For whatever that's worth. I'm all for giving Smith and Sproul opportunities.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Updated prospect rankings:

1. Tyler Bertuzzi
2. Andrea Athanasiou

3. Anthony Mantha

And no one else is even close to being an NHL player right now so it doesn't really matter

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I want him in our top 6, wouldn't even mind him in the top 4. For whatever that's worth. I'm all for giving Smith and Sproul opportunities.

Me and you are on the same page then!! Smith gets beat up on here pretty bad, but he has more capability of making things happen vs. someone like Quincey or Marchenko. Same with Sproul.

Brendan Smith is realistically more physical and a better skater than 75% of defenseman in this league. He has his brain farts which is clearly his downfall. BUT, he elevates in the playoffs SO much, and being a leader moreso in a game like last night, he thrives.

Coaches need to see this. Put him with DDK or something who can cover his brain farts sometimes, give him more minutes, and let him do his thing. The benefits outweigh the negatives of at least trying it.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

1. Tyler Bertuzzi
2. Andrea Athanasiou

3. Anthony Mantha

And no one else is even close to being an NHL player right now so it doesn't really matter
Yeah but that's in addition to the 12 + 2 we already have. Too many.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Very impressed with lil Bert. One more season in the A with bigger role and gain some weight....get him in next season.

This year should be when AA plays in the bigs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

1. Tyler Bertuzzi
2. Andrea Athanasiou

3. Anthony Mantha

Maybe if you are making prospect rankings solely based off the pre-season (which is a bad idea, no offense). But what Athanasiou did last year in the NHL in limited minutes easily has him well above Bertuzzi, who hasn't even put up numbers in the AHL regular season yet.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
AHL does NOT always translate to NHL though. Pulk can't help but rip up the A, and he just kind of sucks up here.

I remember Mark Barberio was a stud in the AHL. He's been bounced around and just got waived.

Panik helped lead the Crunch to the Calder Cup Finals. He has been traded 3 times now? He finally is getting a legit chance after three years.

XO plays great with GR. Up here he is just kind of mehhhh. We are all actually kind of sour on him at this point.

Point being, I don't think it is fair to count someone out because of AHL numbers. Or count them IN for that matter.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

1. Tyler Bertuzzi
2. Andrea Athanasiou

3. Anthony Mantha

I expect Nosek to get the call before Bert at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
AHL does NOT always translate to NHL though. Pulk can't help but rip up the A, and he just kind of sucks up here.

I remember Mark Barberio was a stud in the AHL. He's been bounced around and just got waived.

Panik helped lead the Crunch to the Calder Cup Finals. He has been traded 3 times now? He finally is getting a legit chance after three years.

XO plays great with GR. Up here he is just kind of mehhhh. We are all actually kind of sour on him at this point.

Point being, I don't think it is fair to count someone out because of AHL numbers. Or count them IN for that matter.

Sure, which is why I cited that Athanasiou was great last year against NHL competition.

As for Bertuzzi, he simply needs to show that he can play at a high level for more than 5-10 games. At any level.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I will be interested to see Svech get a season in GR. He shows a few flashes that makes me think he may a good NHL'er one day

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I really like Lil' Bert. I don't think another year in GR hurts him any at this point. He shows a lot of signs of being ready in pre season but he's playing against a lot of AHL'ers too. He really looks like he has the talent to make it. 10 more pounds wouldn't hurt him but I love his edge.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Me and you are on the same page then!! Smith gets beat up on here pretty bad, but he has more capability of making things happen vs. someone like Quincey or Marchenko. Same with Sproul.

Brendan Smith is realistically more physical and a better skater than 75% of defenseman in this league. He has his brain farts which is clearly his downfall. BUT, he elevates in the playoffs SO much, and being a leader moreso in a game like last night, he thrives.

Coaches need to see this. Put him with DDK or something who can cover his brain farts sometimes, give him more minutes, and let him do his thing. The benefits outweigh the negatives of at least trying it.

Most Smith defenders have been in this camp for a long time. That or do the right thing and deal him to a place that will give him those opportunities.

Smith has almost always raised his game when given more opportunity. Then he makes one large mistake and they throw the baby out with the bath water. It is a terrible cycle, I just want them to stick with him for a while for once. The time for lessons ended a couple years ago as far as I am concerned we should be searching for ways to maximize what he brings not overly admonish him for the times he makes mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad