GDT: Pre-Season Game 5 - Ducks @ Coyotes - 6:00PM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Man it's so nice to have so much offensive talent. This is going to be a fun year. Dvo may very well turn out to be better that Strome. Center is going to be a strength for the organization for a long time if they can keep all these guys under contract.

I think dvo may have a better first half, but strome will end the year much better. Imo dvorak is closer to his ceiling already. Macinnis could be a damn good 3c too.

Perlini still needs a half decent center. Doan on the opposite wing is a decent fit though.

Maybe, I think what he needs most is a hockey sense transplant though. Often it looks like he has no idea what to do with his very impressive hockey tools. Hopefully he can figure it out at least somewhat in Tucson.

Chychrun overall was really really good, his penalty was dumb, and he got beat once, but overall played a very solid game. He continues to not show much creativity with the puck, but he's good at getting shots through for deflections and rebounds, and makes good simple passes so good enough. His head I always up, his awareness and mobility are excellent.

Hopefully Murphy is ok otherwise we start the year with schenn z and mcbain on the right side, ugh. Kconn can switch sides, and gogo did tonight too, I guess Chychrun could get a look if one of them switch sides.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Smitty looked fine. In the second and third period he handled some tough chances very well. The first goal was on a very good screen. The second goal was a 3 on 1. I thought that Smith should have stopped it anyway as it wasn't a shot taken on top of him, more like just inside the circle. Still, it was a 3 on 1 and a crisp pass to the scorer.

Perlini needs at least another year, IMO.

This was the first time I saw Chychrun and boy, is he impressive. He skates very, very well. I don't see how he doesn't make the club. I know the arguments about seasoning him, but wow, he plays at an NHL level already.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Smitty looked fine. In the second and third period he handled some tough chances very well. The first goal was on a very good screen. The second goal was a 3 on 1. I thought that Smith should have stopped it anyway as it wasn't a shot taken on top of him, more like just inside the circle. Still, it was a 3 on 1 and a crisp pass to the scorer.

Perlini needs at least another year, IMO.

This was the first time I saw Chychrun and boy, is he impressive. He skates very, very well. I don't see how he doesn't make the club. I know the arguments about seasoning him, but wow, he plays at an NHL level already.

The only questions about Chychrun are does he look this good against actual NHL competition ( tonight's duck squad was very ahl tastic) and if you put him back on juniors can he develop some more offense. If he does, and you don't think he can, then yeah no reason not to keep him up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The only questions about Chychrun are does he look this good against actual NHL competition ( tonight's duck squad was very ahl tastic) and if you put him back on juniors can he develop some more offense. If he does, and you don't think he can, then yeah no reason not to keep him up.

So the 9 game tryout can come into play.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hello, congrats on the win

any of the Ducks players stood out in a good/bad manner?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What's Dvoraks upside? Comparables?

I don't know who he compares to but he already looks better than any Coyote center I've seen since JR. Fast, quick, great with the puck, sharp passes, plays tough, pesky defense...what's not to like? Now we've been so center poor for so long maybe it's like a cracker to a starving man but he really looks like a huge upgrade for us.

Other than so much skill (that of course we've been lacking), the thing I like most about this prospect group is how much they play around and go to the net consistently. Mac, Fischer, Crouse and Strome really flashed a lot of that ability and desire. Hopefully that will be infectious.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

As training camp progresses and teams start to get their rosters more or less set, we will see how he does. The kids are getting lots of TOI to prove themselves.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Glad that Chych is impressing. Seems like he's the guy if Connuaton isn't ready to go (knee injury).

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Klas Dahlbeck? Seems to have totally fallen off the map. Doesn't even appear to be in the mix for that 3LD spot.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So the 9 game tryout can come into play.

Yup, but as others have mentioned we haven't really done that in the past. It's never made as much sense as it does for Chychrun this year though.

Hello, congrats on the win

any of the Ducks players stood out in a good/bad manner?

Sorry, there were so many coyote prospects to watch for I didn't really notice. I did notice a few bad penalties by vermette, which sadly is nothing new.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Glad that Chych is impressing. Seems like he's the guy if Connuaton isn't ready to go (knee injury).

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Klas Dahlbeck? Seems to have totally fallen off the map. Doesn't even appear to be in the mix for that 3LD spot.

AZ's enthusiasm over Dahlbeck went from 60 to 0 in record time. I think they wrote him off by 3/4 mark last season. Waiver material or a trade coming.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
AZ's enthusiasm over Dahlbeck went from 60 to 0 in record time. I think they wrote him off by 3/4 mark last season. Waiver material or a trade coming.

Pretty sure he was only retained for potential expansion draft fodder.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Even weirder, the in-the-know Blackhawks fans were particularly disappointed he was included in that trade. They saw something in him, too. He had a very strong AHL campaign in 2014-15 but seems to have regressed.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Even weirder, the in-the-know Blackhawks fans were particularly disappointed he was included in that trade. They saw something in him, too. He had a very strong AHL campaign in 2014-15 but seems to have regressed.

He wasn't ready for the top 4 D role he was being asked to play last year. He now could be slotted in a 5/6 role but lots of competition.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know who he compares to but he already looks better than any Coyote center I've seen since JR. Fast, quick, great with the puck, sharp passes, plays tough, pesky defense...what's not to like? Now we've been so center poor for so long maybe it's like a cracker to a starving man but he really looks like a huge upgrade for us.

Other than so much skill (that of course we've been lacking), the thing I like most about this prospect group is how much they play around and go to the net consistently. Mac, Fischer, Crouse and Strome really flashed a lot of that ability and desire. Hopefully that will be infectious.

Tippett is constantly stressing "hard to the net" in practice.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

He's incredibly smooth and poised. Has the physical attributes to stay as well. He's a great asset whether he makes the show this season on not.

What an incredible fortune (pun intended) to be able to have acquired him in the manner we did.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The only real competition I see for him is Connauton, who is hurt. I think he'll hang around at least until Connauton and Stone are healthy, especially since Murphy and Michalek aren't quite iron men. But Goligoski and OEL should both be getting 23-25 minutes a night and probably won't spend a ton of time on the ice together, so a third left-handed defenseman shouldn't need to do much heavy lifting.

When everyone is healthy, I see the pairings looking like:

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Michalek
Dahlbeck-Schenn
Tinordi-McBain

I'd guess Tippett carries eight defensemen for most of the year, so Dahlbeck is probably safe unless Tinordi shows something.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yup, but as others have mentioned we haven't really done that in the past. It's never made as much sense as it does for Chychrun this year though.

Sorry, there were so many coyote prospects to watch for I didn't really notice. I did notice a few bad penalties by vermette, which sadly is nothing new.

Ugh, does he really takes them that much?

How was his defensive game last year? I assume he doesn`t have much left offensively, is that true?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: