Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 4 - Jets vs Oilers - 7:00 pm CT - TSN3

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If Buff is the 1D doesn't that mean the Jets will have Morrow/Chiarot/Myers playing on the top pairing with him?
I guess this is why coaches don't use # designations. Its a pretty complicated deployment. Is Adam Lowry really our #3C? Certainly not when he's doing his stretches of 20+ minute games.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not concerned about Ehers, he'll be fine.

Ehlers has looked way better this preseason than anytime in the past imo. He looks much stronger and a little faster if that was possible. If he gets the game to slow down for him even just a bit, to use those zone entries better, he's going to be a real force.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
3 Jets that look in mid-season form to me are

1) Buff

2) Scheif

3) Wheeler

I'd really like to see Brossoit in goal in one of our next 2 preseason games. He was so impressive last time he played. I feel quite strongly he will be our backup Goaltender, and will do a great job, even if Helle gets injured. I hope they play him.

Also I think Joe Morrow will come into his own this year. The guy impresses me, and I think he'll be a regular on the Jet's defense. I don't even think we'll need Trouba, and they should start trying to deal him now, while the return would be the greatest.

Morrow's first 3 steps are really quite impressive...I like him too. Although I won't be heartbroken when Trouba is dealt, it won't happen this year. The team has a greater chance for the ultimate prize with him. Short term anyway.

Reactions: GNP

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Was at the arena last night. My 2 take aways from the game is 55-26-33 are ready and 29’s overall play without the puck has improved and speed was better.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I guess this is why coaches don't use # designations. Its a pretty complicated deployment. Is Adam Lowry really our #3C? Certainly not when he's doing his stretches of 20+ minute games.

I know this isn't important, but I just wanted to point out that Lowry only played 20+ minutes once in the regular season last season and once in the playoffs, both of which were OT games.

Reactions: FonRiesen

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Most teams need a 1st line defenseman or two, so I'd disagree with this.

The ideal situation is to keep Trouba for this season, for a run at the Cup, then trade him. Problem with doing this is then who would want him with just 1 year left as a RFA, and a guy rumored to be asking around $ 8 mil per year, when he's a free agent. Not many GM's would want that. He might get that as an UFA though.

If we could trade him now for a # 1 defenseman, or someone real solid, that way we won't be letting him walk after his contract and get zero in return for him. This is like the Islanders losing John Tavares, and getting nothing for him-does that make sense ?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
so can we agree that:
Myers shouldn't play on the off-side?
Poolman has NOT had an impressive camp and likely starts with the Moose
the Little Question is actually the Quite A Big Question
I disagree with Myers playing the off-side. Give him more than a minute!

Playing your off side takes some work and practice. It doesn't seem like much but there are a lot of muscle memories to build. He may never be good at it but a wee bit of TC and 2 preseason games is hardly enough time to say he can't.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not sure who started this whole idea of 8/44 being our top pairing. I'm not even a Buff fan, but there is no question who the 1D is on this team. Buff leads this D in minutes, points and every meaningful stat there is.
Buff gets top PP min but that's about it. Trouba gets the tough defensive match-ups, outproduces Buff 5v5 and plays more shifts per game than Buff.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I disagree with Myers playing the off-side. Give him more than a minute!

Playing your off side takes some work and practice. It doesn't seem like much but there are a lot of muscle memories to build. He may never be good at it but a wee bit of TC and 2 preseason games is hardly enough time to say he can't.

Heard Maurice in an interview (presser?) yesterday say pretty much that he's going to leave it up to Myers to call the shot on the LHD question. If Myers is comfortable with it, he stays. This doesn't strike me as a good way to do things. Myers might suck at it (which he probably will), but just because he "feels comfortable" and/or his ego will forbid him from admitting failure, he stays, to the detriment of the team. That sounds more like catering to a vet than doing what's best for the team. Which is to say, it sounds exactly like Maurice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad