Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 4 - Jets vs Oilers - 7:00 pm CT - TSN3

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
3 Jets that look in mid-season form to me are

1) Buff

2) Scheif

3) Wheeler

I'd really like to see Brossoit in goal in one of our next 2 preseason games. He was so impressive last time he played. I feel quite strongly he will be our backup Goaltender, and will do a great job, even if Helle gets injured. I hope they play him.

Also I think Joe Morrow will come into his own this year. The guy impresses me, and I think he'll be a regular on the Jet's defense. I don't even think we'll need Trouba, and they should start trying to deal him now, while the return would be the greatest.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
so can we agree that:
Myers shouldn't play on the off-side?
Poolman has NOT had an impressive camp and likely starts with the Moose
the Little Question is actually the Quite A Big Question

Reactions: Jack722

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the comments re: Vasalainen are pretty telling.
what i'm reading:
"we'll force him into third line minutes so he doesn't return back to Europe."
nothing in Vesalainen's game has shown that he should draw in on the 3rd line. he's been fine. zero shot attempts for a scorer doth not equal a spot in the line-up.
i wouldn't mind some seasoning on the Moose and it's unfortunate that it's looking like his camp doesn't see it that way

Reactions: Mbraunm

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That's not backed by either stats or eye test. He's a first pairing defenseman. Morrissey also works well with him, letting Buff feast from the second pairing.
I'm not sure who started this whole idea of 8/44 being our top pairing. I'm not even a Buff fan, but there is no question who the 1D is on this team. Buff leads this D in minutes, points and every meaningful stat there is.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah, I wish someone would correct him, it makes me want to rip my ears off every time I hear it. :D

VES-ah-lie-nen

Dennis needs to forget the whole proper pronunciation deal and say what people want to hear. I agree. VAS a lianen makes me want to throw up.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
the comments re: Vasalainen are pretty telling.
what i'm reading:
"we'll force him into third line minutes so he doesn't return back to Europe."
nothing in Vesalainen's game has shown that he should draw in on the 3rd line. he's been fine. zero shot attempts for a scorer doth not equal a spot in the line-up.
i wouldn't mind some seasoning on the Moose and it's unfortunate that it's looking like his camp doesn't see it that way

not seeing "force" anywhere

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm not sure who started this whole idea of 8/44 being our top pairing. I'm not even a Buff fan, but there is no question who the 1D is on this team. Buff leads this D in minutes, points and every meaningful stat there is.

If Buff is the 1D doesn't that mean the Jets will have Morrow/Chiarot/Myers playing on the top pairing with him?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Scheif is bae. And he works great with wheeler. We're lucky to have both.

Is the six man unit of:

Laine-Scheif-Wheeler

Morrissey-buff

Hellebyuck

The best in the league?

Its one of the best.

They are in top 100 players
I think the Jets and 1 other team have six, the highest for any team.
But instead of Morrissey Ehlers is in that top 100 current NHL players.

Buff,Wheeler,Schiefele and Laine all in the top 40.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Shhhhh....

Everybody is making Trouba think that ;)
So he would stay.

But i guess its not working

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Buff doesn’t play against the toughest competition. 44-8 do. That’s a fact. There’s no way to twist that. A team’s top pairing plays against the toughest competition at 5on5. Buff does not. He Jets are pretty deep in the backend so they can spread minutes around pretty well to maximize things. So you’re just plain wrong.

Nov 24, 2006
Buff doesn’t play against the toughest competition. 44-8 do. That’s a fact. There’s no way to twist that. A team’s top pairing plays against the toughest competition at 5on5. Buff does not. He Jets are pretty deep in the backend so they can spread minutes around pretty well to maximize things. So you’re just plain wrong.
I think you're both kind of right to be honest.

Buff definitely played the most minutes per game, most points, shots, etc. So by that measure, he certainly is the "1D". But Trouba and Morrissey also were the #1 shutdown tandem.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

But what about Corsi?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I said 1st pairing D - Trouba and Morrissey log about 18m per game, while Buff logs 20m of EV TOI per game.

Buff is ... unusual. I still stand by my 1st PAIRING statement regarding Trouba.

I think you're both kind of right to be honest.

Buff definitely played the most minutes per game, most points, shots, etc. So by that measure, he certainly is the "1D". But Trouba and Morrissey also were the #1 shutdown tandem.

Yep.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well to be fair I've barely seen anything to indicate Laine is a 44 goal scorer or that Ehlers is even an NHL player so far this preseason either.

Concerns about Little being a 2C are fine, but not based on these absurd preseason games. Once they cut down most of the chafe and they bring it up a notch, then let's see.

Even if we ignore the pre-season, Ehlers is on a 17 game goalless drought. Is he getting the chances and just having really poor puck luck, or is there something more concerning there in his play?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Even if we ignore the pre-season, Ehlers is on a 17 game goalless drought. Is he getting the chances and just having really poor puck luck, or is there something more concerning there in his play?

No concern. He was near the top 5 percent in the league in zone entries/exit %. And up there in shot contributions as well. He just had a terrible cold streak in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad