Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 4 - Jets vs Oilers - 7:00 pm CT - TSN3

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Probably pissed we like him more than Petan. Might be a Portland fan. They love Petan.
Yes I have seen all of Petan and Mackenzie's games with Portland and Petan is miles ahead of him. I have no issues with Mackenzie and his work ethic. I have issue with the high expectations you guys have him now because he scored a empty net goal and deflected a shot. He will have a career in the minors but it's unfair on him to have such expectations for him to all of sudden move up the depth chart because of one game against a Oiler B team. Kompon was his coach, if he was so highly thought of, I think Kompon would have told the club to take him in his first year of draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes I have seen all of Petan and Mackenzie's games with Portland and Petan is miles ahead of him. I have no issues with Mackenzie and his work ethic. I have issue with the high expectations you guys have him now because he scored a empty net goal and deflected a shot. He will have a career in the minors but it's unfair on him to have such expectations for him to all of sudden move up the depth chart because of one game against a Oiler B team. Kompon was his coach, if he was so highly thought of, I think Kompon would have told the club to take him in his first year of draft.

An empty net goal is when there is no goalie in the net. Creating an outlet and then going to the net is not an empty net goal. You seem very quick to put him down which makes it seem like you have an agenda here. We don't have high expectations at all just pointing out things that Petan has never done with this club over the many years we have watched him play at this level.

To say someone has passed Petan on the depth chart isn't saying he has suddenly shot up the depth chart. Petan has been regularly getting passed on the Jets depth chart for years now, to the point that it is an almost inside joke on HFJets. Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Tanev, Armia, Copp, likely Vesalainen in due time... it's almost a regular thing that the new guy passes Petan on the depth chart.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thoughts:

Preseason is some real boring sloppy hockey, thankfully we only have a week of it left.

Helle: Played real well and is rounding into form. I also liked his puck control skills tonight, if he has made strides there it will help us out.

Defense:

Kulikov was ok, looked a bit better than last game. He's a vet so I never know how much to rate how they play.

Buff/Myers: Can we please end this experiment, Myers is awful on his offside and the pairing isn't very good. Buff was ok.

Poolman: I played better in his own end but was still not all that great with moving the puck. I still see a solid defensive minded third pairing guy that can move the puck out of his end but I don't see much if any offensive upside from him.

Morrow: Played a much better game, he was good with his gaps and skated and moved the puck well. I hope they move him back up with Buff next preseason game.

Schilling: Is an AHL level player.

Forwards:

Scheifele and Wheeler where back to looking more like themselves.

Ves: I am still not sure what to make of his chances of cracking the lineup. He does a lot of little things well like protect the puck, cycle, breakouts etc. He however really doesn't at all look dangerous offensively on the ice and doesn't get to the tough areas with regularity yet. This could still be him getting used to the small ice. If this was a couple of years ago he would be on the team and given the chance to grow his game, however given our depth I am not sure we take that same path. I think Dano is more deserving at this point.

Laine: Had his chances but was missing the net. He is definitely quicker and his trying to be more creative but he seems to still be working his way into form.

Harkins/Appelton: I didn't think they created much but both where fairly solid in the nz and dzone and didn't really give up much either. Not a bad game from either of them.

Mckenzie: Did what Skyler Mckenzie does, gets to the front of the net and capitalizes on his chances. He also showed well on the forecheck and played with speed and tenacity. His line looked good and will likely perform well in the AHL this year.

Sues: Had a nice game, made a great feed to Skyer and was hard on the forecheck and defensively.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
An empty net goal is when there is no goalie in the net. Creating an outlet and then going to the net is not an empty net goal. You seem very quick to put him down which makes it seem like you have an agenda here. We don't have high expectations at all just pointing out things that Petan has never done with this club over the many years we have watched him play at this level.

To say someone has passed Petan on the depth chart isn't saying he has suddenly shot up the depth chart. Petan has been regularly getting passed on the Jets depth chart for years now, to the point that it is an almost inside joke on HFJets. Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Tanev, Armia, Copp, likely Vesalainen in due time... it's almost a regular thing that the new guy passes Petan on the depth chart.

I don't have a agenda other than to bring down those expectations. I know what a empty net goal is. It's clear when I say empty net goal, it's in regards to the goalie out of position an he just has to put it in. Suess was great on the play in slow-mo you can see keeps looking at the goalie drawing him over and puts a nice pass over Mackenzie to finish with goalie out of position. Petan and Mackenzie while both small in size are different players,. Petan is a skilled playmaker which Mackenzie is not so you can't compare the two.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't have a agenda other than to bring down those expectations. I know what a empty net goal is. It's clear when I say empty net goal, it's in regards to the goalie out of position an he just has to put it in. Suess was great on the play in slow-mo you can see keeps looking at the goalie drawing him over and puts a nice pass over Mackenzie to finish with goalie out of position. Petan and Mackenzie while both small in size are different players,. Petan is a skilled playmaker which Mackenzie is not so you can't compare the two.

Petan has never really shown a willingness to battle, which has always kept him off the Jets roster full time. All anyone is saying is McKenzie looks ready to turn pro and should have a good rookie season with the Moose. We're not saying he is suddenly going to be a 30 goal scorer with the Jets. You aren't really bringing anything down because it's not there to begin with.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Petan been around for awhile now. Hasn't showed much. The team needs to decide what to do with him. His future is not with the Jets!

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Petan been around for awhile now. Hasn't showed much. The team needs to decide what to do with him. His future is not with the Jets!
Actually he showed well when he played with skilled players like Wheeler. The problem is the Jets have been using him on the fourth line with checkers, that's not his type of game. So maybe there is no room for him here but also no room for a player like Mackenzie either we already have Taman.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just back from the game with some high level thoughts.

Defense is still a mess. Kuli and Myers look bad. Morrow had a decent game. Schilling battled hard, but his fate is set. I don't know what to make of Poolman. He had some good moments. But overall, I'm not sure I like Kuli or Myers on the left. I'd have Buff with Morrow and Myers with Chiarot if the season started tomorrow.

Laine - had some of that NHL pace/urgency in his game today. I liked it. Had a few opportunities again but just adjusting his sights I guess. I think having him on the top line opens up a lot of scenarios for the other two lines.

Vesalainen - generally good again. I think his offense is suffering from adjusting to the pace and space of the NA game. But he's playing smart in the meantime...and decent on the boards. sure hope he doesn't go to Europe.

Little-Perreault - old pros. Perreault on the right and looked fine doing so. Ehlers-Little-Perreault / Connor-Rosie-??? could be the way to go. Maybe Petan in the middle of those two?

Look forward to a full year of Suess-McKenzie on the Moose. They worked well together. Appleton has been fine, but I think I was hoping for a bit more from him.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
After watching that game, I still have concerns about Little being a 2C centre. I really hope he bounces back but haven’t seen anything in his game to indicate otherwise.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Unsung hero of the game in my opinion was Tucker Poolman. Watched him very close tonight and he does so many little things right.
When he’s out there I fell comfortable with our defence and he showed much more willingness to show his offensive skills tonight. He even led a couple nice rushes starting from behind the goal line. There’s more offence in this guy than people give him credit for.
Didn’t like his first pre season game at all but tonight I thought he was rock solid.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Unsung hero of the game in my opinion was Tucker Poolman. Watched him very close tonight and he does so many little things right.
When he’s out there I fell comfortable with our defence and he showed much more willingness to show his offensive skills tonight. He even led a couple nice rushes starting from behind the goal line. There’s more offence in this guy than people give him credit for.
Didn’t like his first pre season game at all but tonight I thought he was rock solid.

Just curious...were you in the building or watching the broadcast?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Just curious...were you in the building or watching the broadcast?

Broadcast. Did it look different live? I know there was that one bad pass on the 3 on 2 and that was a memorable event, but other than that he made some real quality plays. He makes quick decisions.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
After watching that game, I still have concerns about Little being a 2C centre. I really hope he bounces back but haven’t seen anything in his game to indicate otherwise.
Well to be fair I've barely seen anything to indicate Laine is a 44 goal scorer or that Ehlers is even an NHL player so far this preseason either.

Concerns about Little being a 2C are fine, but not based on these absurd preseason games. Once they cut down most of the chafe and they bring it up a notch, then let's see.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That was a much better effort from the Jets, SOG be damned. I particularly liked our 2 AHL lines.

Harkins didn't get a lot of TOI but played well when he got the chance. I expect a much better year from him with the Moose.

Everberg has to be added to the list of potential call-ups. He can hold his own in the NHL.

In fact, several of those players would have been TC stars having a shot at NHL jobs just a few years ago.

Vesalainen is making a pretty good case for himself to be the 12th forward. He has to beat out several pretty good players but he is right in there with them and all are older, more experienced players.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Scheifele line trying to be too cute with the low percentage plays.

The LD Myers experiment needs to be killed in the crib. Just put Morrow back there, he was okay on left side with Buff to end the season.

The Suess line impressed a lot more than Appleton line in the battle of the AHL lines.

PP looked good. Halfwall Wheeler has the best job in the NHL.

Poolman's best game of the preseason.

Reactions: PhilJets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought he was better, but I think he's destined for the Moose after the Myers LD debacle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad