Post-Game Talk: Pre-season game 4, Jets @ SENS, Friday 7pm on TSN5

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, he's going to see a lot worse than that.

Stutzle's going to have to put on his big boy pants and not throw his hands up every time something doesn't go his way.
He is young. I recall Crosby was a whiner when he entered the league. He got over it. Gretzky too.

Of course he could play like Stan Mikita: become a terror with his stick work. Stan calmed down after awhile too. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For sure. But he's going to have a big target on his back.

I get having Tkachuk ride shotgun with him but hopefully not at the expense of the best line combinations we can put together.
Me too.

Some teams have a rep for targeting the top players on other teams. I don't mind having a 4th line policeman on the roster to address those teams tactics. I might start the game with the policeman on Stutzle's line to send a message early in games (the message being I am here and anyone who takes a run at Stutzle will have to deal with me). This response would be similar to the way Vegas went after the guy who hit Stone the other day. I also want the biggest meanest SOB in the league as that policeman. I am NOT saying that policeman should get into fights at the face-offs or run around stupidly hitting anyone he can catch. :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some teams have a rep for targeting the top players on other teams. I don't mind having a 4th line policeman on the roster to address those teams tactics. I might start the game with the policeman on Stutzle's line to send a message early in games (the message being I am here and anyone who takes a run at Stutzle will have to deal with me). This response would be similar to the way Vegas went after the guy who hit Stone the other day. I also want the biggest meanest SOB in the league as that policeman. I am NOT saying that policeman should get into fights at the face-offs or run around stupidly hitting anyone he can catch. :)

It's tricky.

I remember how intimidating Brian McGrattan was until he was actually playing a regular shift and could never actually hit anyone with a bodycheck because of a lack of pace.

I'll always love him for what he did to Tie Domi, but a lot of the times, he'd play his 5 or so minutes a game and sit on the bench.

I'm not sure teams can afford to have a guy who plays that little with the pace of play anymore.

So far, MacEwan has taken what, two minor penalties in pre-season? How much ice time has he had?

Chris Neil was intimidating because he'd get back at you during play, or if need be, post-whistle. Brady Tkachuk is intimidating for the same reason. Unfortunately, he's also one of our best offensive players, unlike Neil.

An effective fourth line for me is an effective forechecking line, which requires both size and speed. Get it in deep, hit the opposition, generate turnovers and hopefully an offensive zone faceoff or draw a penalty. That's what builds momentum and keeps energy up.

I haven't seen that from MacEwan yet. Kelly at least has his moments - only he gets overzealous in the offensive zone sometimes and takes those maddening penalties.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, he's going to see a lot worse than that.

Stutzle's going to have to put on his big boy pants and not throw his hands up every time something doesn't go his way.
Whether you like it or not that’s what stars do. And that’s what they have to do. Same across all sports.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Look for calls. Whine to the ref. It can be annoying. Especially when it’s against your team. But it’s just the way sports is now. And I guess has been for a long time
It works. Just look at the NBA. Youre basically shooting yourself in the foot if you arent whining and working the refs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good win last night, some observations:
- this team doesn't need Brannstrom, but it does need more size on the backend with guys who can hit & take players off the puck & win board battles & come to their teammates defence. Brannstrom is too small, too soft, not tough enough or strong enough. While the top 4 on D were good last night it was that third pairing that seemed to be in constant trouble defensively.
- the best & the worse with Thompson, he has a rocket of a shot from the blueline & shows some offensive skillset, but is weak defensively & still makes bone headed plays. Thompson & Brannstrom together are a recipe for disaster, they need size & strength on the backend.
- Jarventie continues to surprise, while I don't think he is ready for prime time this yr, he is progressing & should be a very interesting prospect at this time next yr to join the team.
- they should have some interesting options for the third line, but this team needs Pinto back asap.
- I'm not sure I like Bailey on this team, but it seems clear that he is getting a one yr contract as another 4th line depth player. IMO - Kubalik - Pinto - Sokolov should be the 3rd line if they can move Joseph, Brannstrom & Kelly. Sokolov is a better offensive playmaker than anyone else trying out for this team on RW.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good win last night, some observations:
- this team doesn't need Brannstrom, but it does need more size on the backend with guys who can hit & take players off the puck & win board battles & come to their teammates defence. Brannstrom is too small, too soft, not tough enough or strong enough. While the top 4 on D were good last night it was that third pairing that seemed to be in constant trouble defensively.
- the best & the worse with Thompson, he has a rocket of a shot from the blueline & shows some offensive skillset, but is weak defensively & still makes bone headed plays. Thompson & Brannstrom together are a recipe for disaster, they need size & strength on the backend.
- Jarventie continues to surprise, while I don't think he is ready for prime time this yr, he is progressing & should be a very interesting prospect at this time next yr to join the team.
- they should have some interesting options for the third line, but this team needs Pinto back asap.
- I'm not sure I like Bailey on this team, but it seems clear that he is getting a one yr contract as another 4th line depth player. IMO - Kubalik - Pinto - Sokolov should be the 3rd line if they can move Joseph, Brannstrom & Kelly. Sokolov is a better offensive playmaker than anyone else trying out for this team on RW.
Hopefully the coaching staff can work with Thomson to improve his defensive game. He still won't be the big tough defender we need but could be very serviceable.

Jarventie did surprise me too. He is developing but still needs to get more involved.

I don't really want Bailey on the team either. Sokolov needs more development time and coaching to become more physical and to use his size.

Although Joseph is overpaid, I like the speed he brings and he is good on the PK because of his quickness and speed. Hopefully the team can retain him, Kubalik, Brannstrom and also sign Pinto soon. But something will have to give; possibly a waiver of a borderline NHL player with a one-way NHL contract (e.g., Kelly, JB-D).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00