Post-Game Talk: Pre-season game 4, Jets @ SENS, Friday 7pm on TSN5

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hopefully the coaching staff can work with Thomson to improve his defensive game. He still won't be the big tough defender we need but could be very serviceable.

Jarventie did surprise me too. He is developing but still needs to get more involved.

I don't really want Bailey on the team either. Sokolov needs more development time and coaching to become more physical and to use his size.

Although Joseph is overpaid, I like the speed he brings and he is good on the PK because of his quickness and speed. Hopefully the team can retain him, Kubalik, Brannstrom and also sign Pinto soon. But something will have to give; possibly a waiver of a borderline NHL player with a one-way NHL contract (e.g., Kelly, JB-D).
Someone else brought it up. But if you waive Kelly. Someone else needs to take his spot in the lineup. So doesn’t really matter.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hopefully the coaching staff can work with Thomson to improve his defensive game. He still won't be the big tough defender we need but could be very serviceable.

Jarventie did surprise me too. He is developing but still needs to get more involved.

I don't really want Bailey on the team either. Sokolov needs more development time and coaching to become more physical and to use his size.

Although Joseph is overpaid, I like the speed he brings and he is good on the PK because of his quickness and speed. Hopefully the team can retain him, Kubalik, Brannstrom and also sign Pinto soon. But something will have to give; possibly a waiver of a borderline NHL player with a one-way NHL contract (e.g., Kelly, JB-D).

I don’t think more AHL time will do it for Sokolov.

He needs to get used to the pace of the NHL level and learn how to use his size at this level. He’s shown great flashes of heavy play in the offensive zone.

I hope he produces in the next few games and forces their hand.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This idea about Sokolov's skating is misleading, the vast majority of goals scored in the NHL is about 8' from the net. I understand that the flashy players get noticed most, but Sokolov has proven he can score goals & produce pts in the AHL & has the size to be a force in the NHL in front of the net.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
This idea about Sokolov's skating is misleading, the vast majority of goals scored in the NHL is about 8' from the net. I understand that the flashy players get noticed most, but Sokolov has proven he can score goals & produce pts in the AHL & has the size to be a force in the NHL in front of the net.
How does he contribute to zone entry?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How does he contribute to zone entry?
Same way a lot of players do dump & chase & win the board battles, he also handles the puck well enough to carry it in when the play presents itself. I don't see Joseph carry it in all that often & is mostly a dump & chase player as well.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Neither Kelly, nor Sokolov will be on the final roster in my opinion.

Shouldn’t be anyways, but I don’t think burying guys in the AHL matter as much these days.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Neither Kelly, nor Sokolov will be on the final roster in my opinion.

Shouldn’t be anyways, but I don’t think burying guys in the AHL matter as much these days.
I'd be surprised if Kelly isn't on the team even as the 13th forward given his one way contract, not sure Dorion wants to start his new relationship with the new owner by burying money in Belleville. Should be interesting how a few things shape up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad