Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 3-2 (Gaunce, Shinkaruk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Did anyone else realize there was a new coaching strategy during the game?

I sure did. On the 5 on 3 the player composition is now 1 forward 2 defencemen, whereas with AV it has always been 2 forwards and 1 defencemen (which always seem to fail).

The first unit was also all right handed. Weber kesler corrado which I thought was deliberate because hamhuis was available

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I disagree, playing up to 15 minutes in the NHL and directly learning from the likes of Henrik, Daniel, Kesler and Burrows is way more valuable than playing 20 minutes a night in junior.

Gaunce puts more pressure on Richardson than on Schroeder (Gaunce is very unlikely to be 3rd line ready this year, but 4th line is possible). I'd say Richardson is the one putting pressure on Schroeder though (Schroeder is only 3rd line likely, Richardson is 3rd or 4th).

No chance he plays on the 4th line unless its just for 9 games. It burns a year off his ELC to play 5 minute a night and stalls his development quite a bit. Much rather he spends 20 minutes a night in Jr.

Richardson is 3rd or 4th line and also can play all forward positions. That really lowers any competition against his or should i say give him so many ways of making the team that no 1 player is directly competing against him. On top of that, like you said, JS is only usable for 3rd line and isn't really a 4th line center. None of our prospects that could play in Jr will play on the 4th line (unless its just for the first 9 game to get a taste of the NHL). The only way Richardson doesn't make the team is if he loses the 3rd line center spot to one of our former 1st rounders AND he gets beat by multiple other players for the 4th line spot (Wiese, Lain, etc).

Richardson is another one competing with JS but the odds of him winning it is lower due to the logic that him being a 4th line center with whoever being the 3rd line center gives us a better team than him being a 3rd line center and whoever gets the 4th line center spot (due to the 4th line center competition so to speak is really Lain and no one else... unless you want to count Friesen, Hamill, and Santorelli but none of them are ready/prototypical 4th line centers).

Hal 9000*

No chance he plays on the 4th line unless its just for 9 games. It burns a year off his ELC to play 5 minute a night and stalls his development quite a bit. Much rather he spends 20 minutes a night in Jr.

Richardson is 3rd or 4th line and also can play all forward positions. That really lowers any competition against his or should i say give him so many ways of making the team that no 1 player is directly competing against him. On top of that, like you said, JS is only usable for 3rd line and isn't really a 4th line center. None of our prospects that could play in Jr will play on the 4th line (unless its just for the first 9 game to get a taste of the NHL). The only way Richardson doesn't make the team is if he loses the 3rd line center spot to one of our former 1st rounders AND he gets beat by multiple other players for the 4th line spot (Wiese, Lain, etc).

Richardson is another one competing with JS but the odds of him winning it is lower due to the logic that him being a 4th line center with whoever being the 3rd line center gives us a better team than him being a 3rd line center and whoever gets the 4th line center spot (due to the 4th line center competition so to speak is really Lain and no one else... unless you want to count Friesen, Hamill, and Santorelli but none of them are ready/prototypical 4th line centers).

So, you use the example 10-15 minutes at the NHL level, and when I disagree, you now jump in and reduce that down to 5 minutes...just so you can disagree with me!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I'd agree with this. Gaunce was solid in his first preseason game, but he still managed only around 10 mins TOI, whereas a guy like Hunter grabbed 20+ mins. Might be slightly different if we were nursing a lead versus playing from behind, but I see the probability of Schroeder/Richardson being a lot more probable if all Gaunce can manage in a preseason game is ~10 min. He'd be far better off going back to junior. Ditto with Horvat.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I'd agree with this. Gaunce was solid in his first preseason game, but he still managed only around 10 mins TOI, whereas a guy like Hunter grabbed 20+ mins. Might be slightly different if we were nursing a lead versus playing from behind, but I see the probability of Schroeder/Richardson being a lot more probable if all Gaunce can manage in a preseason game is ~10 min. He'd be far better off going back to junior. Ditto with Horvat.

I don't know if you can pin the minutes on Gaunce. Managing how many minutes to give your players is the coach's job. While good play can help sway their decision, ultimately the coach decides whether you're taking the next shift or not.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't know if you can pin the minutes on Gaunce. Managing how many minutes to give your players is the coach's job. While good play can help sway their decision, ultimately the coach decides whether you're taking the next shift or not.

I would think a preseason game is where you actually try to get these guys heightened ice time. The fact a guy like Hunter grabs 20+ mins, and Gaunce manages only 10 mins despite the fact he scores a goal indicates to me Gaunce does not have much of a chance to make the team this year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would think a preseason game is where you actually try to get these guys heightened ice time. The fact a guy like Hunter grabs 20+ mins, and Gaunce manages only 10 mins despite the fact he scores a goal indicates to me Gaunce does not have much of a chance to make the team this year.

It may also be the fact he is a center. Kesler played almost 26 minutes so that only leaves 34 minutes to be divided amongst Horvat, Gaunce and Lain. I think Torts was salivating when he saw Kesler on the bench. Played him for 10 minutes of the first period, IIRC.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

Kesler got 26 minutes and Shinkaruk was his winger. While Shinkaruk's good play probably helped him a bit, a big part of it was because he was on the first line.

It may also be the fact he is a center. Kesler played almost 26 minutes so that only leaves 34 minutes to be divided amongst Horvat, Gaunce and Lain. I think Torts was salivating when he saw Kesler on the bench. Played him for 10 minutes of the first period, IIRC.

This.

There are only so many minutes you can give to the other 3 guys when 1 guy plays almost half the game.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Sullivan was coaching but the sentiment is still the same.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Kesler got 26 minutes and Shinkaruk was his winger. While Shinkaruk's good play probably helped him a bit, a big part of it was because he was on the first line.

Actually for the last half of the game I think Hunter was with Horvat and Jensen, while Pelletier skated with Burrows and Kesler. Regardless, I'm still perplexed why they needed to have a starter like Kesler killing all the 5 on 3's. Gaunce should have shouldered some of that defensive time to at least see where his game is. Overall, the fact he only skated for 10 minutes in the line-up we iced last night is not a good sign for his chances.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Shinkaruk and Horvat need to go back to the OHL. Horvat 1 more year in the OHL, Shinkaruk maybe two more years in the OHL ....so that he can focus on building strength and size.

Gaunce has one more year in the OHL..I hope he focuses on developing his offense. This is a confidence year. He should put up tons of points and get mentally ready. Then he can probably step into the NHL since he's got the size...but he may need some AHL time too.

Jensen needs a year in the ahl imo. Actually..he probably needs two years in the AHL...one to get used to it and another to dominate.

Two more years? You've got to be kidding.

He's dominated the CHL for two years. Give him his final non-overage year there and let him move on.

Isn't he AHL eligible in 14/15 due to his October birthday?

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
Actually for the last half of the game I think Hunter was with Horvat and Jensen, while Pelletier skated with Burrows and Kesler. Regardless, I'm still perplexed why they needed to have a starter like Kesler killing all the 5 on 3's. Gaunce should have shouldered some of that defensive time to at least see where his game is. Overall, the fact he only skated for 10 minutes in the line-up we iced last night is not a good sign for his chances.

They also probably wanted Kesler getting used to a different PK style. He likjely won't even play half the pre-season games, while guys like Gaunce and Horvat will get in quite a few more. There is still a need toi have Kesler gain some game time practice for all the situations he will face in the season, particularily with a new system and coach.

Horvat and Gaunce will see more preseason games, and we will probably see them put into more situations in later games as they competition is narrowed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I agree with all of this and never really argued against it, but think it's a bit disingenuous to go "oh don't worry guys, it's just because San Jose worked out-of-proportionally hard."

I doesn't matter that we had a poor game, but that's no reason to downplay that they did. I still see it as an overly positive spin.

Ugh, i think the fact your arguing with me over putting a positive spin on a pre season game is my point here.... Even though I did no such thing and your over exaggerating this entire conversation and picking an argument over how someone viewed a pre season game which is ridiculous in itself.

All I said was san jose played a really hard tight checking game, none of us see the game in exactly the same way and your telling me my opinion is downplaying how bad the canucks played. If that is me downplaying how bad the canucks played then so be it. I simply acknowledge it is pre season under a new coach who have barely practiced together and played under a new system, i was expecting disjointed bad play. I have next to no expectations pre season so get ready for more down playing by me. You may not, thats your choice. Analyze the game more critically if you wish.

Go ahead if you want to analyze it how you like, you quoted me. If you think pre season games are more important or I am downplaying it (and im not sure which it is because you said you agree with me, yet originally you said pre season matters how hard a team plays because they should be playing for roster spots) then treat them more serious, thats your choice. I will be happy for guys who play well pre season, and I am not going to be critical of the team until we get the season well under way.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
First off, the usual disclaimer about it only being one preseason game...

Surprisingly to me, Shinkaruk looked the most ready of the forward prospects (and it wasn't just because of his linemates). He didn't look as small as I was led to believe. Given that the Canucks need a top 6 winger to step up, it wouldn't surprise me now if he ends up sticking with the big club. Previously, I would have been shocked if he wasn't sent back to junior. Now I think he might just fit in well with Booth out.

Horvat doesn't look ready yet which isn't really a big deal. Gaunce might work out centering the 4th line and eventually working his way up over the years. His size would serve him well and his skating wouldn't be that much of a hindrance in sheltered minutes. As long as you don't expect much offence from him, I don't think he would disappoint. That would leave Richardson and Schroeder battling for the #3 center spot.

Jensen was mostly unnoticeable... neither bad nor good. Tommernes was intriguing, but clearly needs some seasoning in the AHL. Lain look promising at times but I have to wonder how he'd handle playing against a legit NHL roster.

Corrado looks ready to be in the top 6. I understand why Alberts took a big paycut and signed a contract that was barely above league minimum. His agent is no dummy.

Both goalies did well, but Cannata's technique doesn't look nearly as polished as Lack's, even if he's as effective at keeping the puck out. Can't blame him at all on the GWG. He kept it simple, as he should.

Pelletier worked hard, but I don't have much else to say about the other prospects.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I hope Gaunce is given every chance to make the team as the 4th line center. Seems ready, and could make for a much stronger 4th line (Richardson - Gaunce - Weise). It will also be the first time in years that we have ELCs on the team, with Corrado ready to stick for this year and next under $600k, and Gaunce with all 3 ELC years at a hair over $1m.

I'm hoping Shinkaruk is given more opportunities to show he deserves a look at the start of the season, and if he proves his worth, let him play the first few games until Booth is back. Even though Jensen had a bad game, he should be auditioned similarly with some talent players. Schroeder too, which would slightly change the bottom 6 composition.

Perhaps Gaunce is good enough defensively to fill in on the 4th line right now but I'm worried that would stunt his growth offensively.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ugh, i think the fact your arguing with me over putting a positive spin on a pre season game is my point here.... Even though I did no such thing and your over exaggerating this entire conversation and picking an argument over how someone viewed a pre season game which is ridiculous in itself.

All I said was san jose played a really hard tight checking game, none of us see the game in exactly the same way and your telling me my opinion is downplaying how bad the canucks played. If that is me downplaying how bad the canucks played then so be it. I simply acknowledge it is pre season under a new coach who have barely practiced together and played under a new system, i was expecting disjointed bad play. I have next to no expectations pre season so get ready for more down playing by me. You may not, thats your choice. Analyze the game more critically if you wish.

Go ahead if you want to analyze it how you like, you quoted me. If you think pre season games are more important or I am downplaying it (and im not sure which it is because you said you agree with me, yet originally you said pre season matters how hard a team plays because they should be playing for roster spots) then treat them more serious, thats your choice. I will be happy for guys who play well pre season, and I am not going to be critical of the team until we get the season well under way.
I don't think the outcome matters much at all-- I think hard working preseason games are common due to all the bubble players/rookies in them and was not clear that you were talking about Pavelski when I said it, but I also disagree that he was playing exceptionally hard in comparison to any of our vets.

I'm not taking the results of this game seriously or deriving anything from them at all, but I would have thought it was worthwhile to point out what I think is a flaw in your original comment in any meaningless context, personally (I naturally react when I perceive something as flawed/biased/unfair logic, importance has nothing to do with it). You replied by arguing with something (which I agreed with) that I wasn't even remotely commenting on in the first place, so I pointed that out and repeated my original point to clear things up. I think you're overreacting by treating this like some critical/loaded argument that I just won't let go or something. If you react to it like I'm being unfair, it's only natural that I would reply with my own defense/perspective.

You can disagree, that's fine.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Perhaps Gaunce is good enough defensively to fill in on the 4th line right now but I'm worried that would stunt his growth offensively.

The real question in that regard...is whether there's any real 'offensive growth' for Gaunce to do in the OHL that would be 'stunted'. What is his 'ceiling'?

I've said it since he was drafted...it was a very 'low upside' pick. There's nothing about Gaunce that screams 'capable NHL point producer' to me. He might turn out to be a capable 3rd line center who can chip in the odd goal and even play with some more 'skilled' players without getting too much in the way...but he just doesn't seem to have a dynamic bone in his (large) body. He doesn't 'create' offense, he just puts pucks homes sometimes and is in the general vicinity of offensive plays occasionally.

I just don't see any 'top-6 upside' with this kid, and i never really have. Which is fine i guess, if he turns out to be a great 30pt 3rd line Center with great size and defensive positioning. But even if he were to go back to Jr and post some more than PPG numbers, i'd be highly skeptical of whether that 'offensive progress' is the sort of thing that would translate to the NHL level, or if it's taking Jr Hockey shortcuts, playing with more creative/skilled linemates, etc.

I'd be really curious to see what happens if Gaunce were given heavy minutes in the preseason alongside a pair of guys like Higgins+Hansen who can generate a little bit of offense on their own. If he can hold his own there and not get in the way of what they do, while maintaining a reliable defensive presence...i think you keep him on the roster and just ride whichever of Gaunce/Richardson/Schroeder/Santorelli is going at whatever point as the 3rd/4th line centers.

I wouldn't worry about 'stunting offensive growth' basically. If he can hack it in a 4th line role, so be it. Let him 'learn on the job' there. He's not a guy like Horvat who strikes me as having 'more to give' in terms of untapped offensive potential there. Gaunce playing on a '4th line' with say, Richardson and Weise...as much flack as those type of guys may take, i'm not sure either would be 'holding Gaunce back' offensively. They both have a comparable skill level really.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
The real question in that regard...is whether there's any real 'offensive growth' for Gaunce to do in the OHL that would be 'stunted'. What is his 'ceiling'?

I've said it since he was drafted...it was a very 'low upside' pick. There's nothing about Gaunce that screams 'capable NHL point producer' to me. He might turn out to be a capable 3rd line center who can chip in the odd goal and even play with some more 'skilled' players without getting too much in the way...but he just doesn't seem to have a dynamic bone in his (large) body. He doesn't 'create' offense, he just puts pucks homes sometimes and is in the general vicinity of offensive plays occasionally.

I just don't see any 'top-6 upside' with this kid, and i never really have. Which is fine i guess, if he turns out to be a great 30pt 3rd line Center with great size and defensive positioning. But even if he were to go back to Jr and post some more than PPG numbers, i'd be highly skeptical of whether that 'offensive progress' is the sort of thing that would translate to the NHL level, or if it's taking Jr Hockey shortcuts, playing with more creative/skilled linemates, etc.

I'd be really curious to see what happens if Gaunce were given heavy minutes in the preseason alongside a pair of guys like Higgins+Hansen who can generate a little bit of offense on their own. If he can hold his own there and not get in the way of what they do, while maintaining a reliable defensive presence...i think you keep him on the roster and just ride whichever of Gaunce/Richardson/Schroeder/Santorelli is going at whatever point as the 3rd/4th line centers.

I wouldn't worry about 'stunting offensive growth' basically. If he can hack it in a 4th line role, so be it. Let him 'learn on the job' there. He's not a guy like Horvat who strikes me as having 'more to give' in terms of untapped offensive potential there. Gaunce playing on a '4th line' with say, Richardson and Weise...as much flack as those type of guys may take, i'm not sure either would be 'holding Gaunce back' offensively. They both have a comparable skill level really.

The thing is, Gaunce knows his weakness is his acceleration and as a center he intentionally gives himself extra room so he doesn't get beat clean by the opposing forwards. There's a reason why coaches have been experimenting with him at LW and its because his offensive game really starts to shine there.

As a winger, he doesn't need to always think about being the first guy back and he takes more chances in the offensive zone. The guy is really good along the wall. He protects the puck well with his size and his passing ability from there is really underrated. Its hard to find real dynamism in his game but he's made some precision passes that make you do double-takes.

Personally, I think he will be okay as a defensive 3rd line center but if we really wanted to unlock his offensive potential, he should end up as a winger. I also think he doesn't have much left to prove in Belleville except a chance at the U20s but a 4th line role in Vancouver would just write him off without giving him any real chance to show us any untapped potential he might have. Not something I want to do with a 1st round pick.

The guy is AHL ready but he's not 20 yet. So I dunno, really tough choice here with Gaunce. :dunno:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The thing is, Gaunce knows his weakness is his acceleration and as a center he intentionally gives himself extra room so he doesn't get beat clean by the opposing forwards. There's a reason why coaches have been experimenting with him at LW and its because his offensive game really starts to shine there.

As a winger, he doesn't need to always think about being the first guy back and he takes more chances in the offensive zone. The guy is really good along the wall. He protects the puck well with his size and his passing ability from there is really underrated. Its hard to find real dynamism in his game but he's made some precision passes that make you do double-takes.

Personally, I think he will be okay as a defensive 3rd line center but if we really wanted to unlock his offensive potential, he should end up as a winger. I also think he doesn't have much left to prove in Belleville except a chance at the U20s but a 4th line role in Vancouver would just write him off without giving him any real chance to show us any untapped potential he might have. Not something I want to do with a 1st round pick.

The guy is AHL ready but he's not 20 yet. So I dunno, really tough choice here with Gaunce. :dunno:

I don't think Gaunce being on the team as a 4th line Center would really be 'writing him off'. If he can keep up defensively, i'm sure he'd get his opportunities to play 'up the lineup'. His competition is what...Jordan Schroeder? Under Torts, that kid's inconsistent intensity level would all but guarantee an opportunity for Gaunce or Richardson to move up to the 3rd line from time to time. And the potential opportunity to play with players like Higgins+Hansen who have quality NHL level offensive ability (albeit in a tweener role) doesn't seem like the sort of thing to really 'stunt offensive growth'.

Even playing on the 4th line with say, Brad Richardson...who has a very underrated offensive skillset and was realistically a more dynamic Jr scorer than Gaunce, isn't exactly going to 'hold him back' imo.

He might go back to Belleville and be more inclined to take some risks offensively and maybe he puts up a few more points as a result and 'opens up his game'. But he's just going to be asked to clamp it all right back down to that old 'safe, reliable, conservative' game if he wants to make a dent in our NHL roster eventually anyway. Guys like Shinkaruk, Jensen, even Horvat have a much more 'dynamic' skillset to offer and are going to be first in line to grab a top-6 scoring job, even on the wing. If Gaunce is going to make this team in the next year or two or three...it's going to be as a bottom-6 presence, where his offensive ability is largely a bonus, and the emphasis is on that safe defensive game.

It really all depends on how well he can keep up as camp/preseason continues imo. If he can keep up with the solid defensive positional play and contribute the odd offensive flourish, i think he probably is better served on the big club.

I agree though, the AHL would probably be the ideal place for Gaunce this year. But thanks to that transfer agreement...:shakehead

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don't think the outcome matters much at all-- I think hard working preseason games are common due to all the bubble players/rookies in them and was not clear that you were talking about Pavelski when I said it, but I also disagree that he was playing exceptionally hard in comparison to any of our vets.

I'm not taking the results of this game seriously or deriving anything from them at all, but I would have thought it was worthwhile to point out what I think is a flaw in your original comment in any meaningless context, personally (I naturally react when I perceive something as flawed/biased/unfair logic, importance has nothing to do with it).
You replied by arguing with something (which I agreed with) that I wasn't even remotely commenting on in the first place, so I pointed that out and repeated my original point to clear things up. I think you're overreacting by treating this like some critical/loaded argument that I just won't let go or something. If you react to it like I'm being unfair, it's only natural that I would reply with my own defense/perspective.

You can disagree, that's fine.

This conversation is going nowhere and I still dont know what your point of view is. This will be my last comment so you can have the last word.

And yes i do think your being completely ridiculous,I simply complimented the sharks in one sentence with how well I felt the sharks played and you then quoted me saying i am letting the canucks off the hook due to what I said or did not say, and that pre season the canucks should play hard because they are competing for roster spots. I still dont know what your stance is after that comment but it does not matter.

You reacted because you provided a flaw in my comment? It was a one sentence opinion /compliment on the game mentioning how well I thought the sharks played and the work ethic they displayed in that game specifically the vetrans. I felt pavelski was involved in almost every play he was on the ice for and was working hard and had a very good game, if you disagree with that its completely fine but you then jumped to the conclusion that my compliment was excusing the canucks for bad play. I think i will leave it at that.

Hopefully in the future I can at least compliment the opposing team for a strong game without flaws in my logic being pointed out.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

I shouldn't be surprised that posters are willing to offer up these kinds conclusions after such a short time following the player, but I am.

Fact is, most drafted players never play much in the NHL so you certainly aren't being all that risky by saying he's going to be flop or has a very low ceiling. From what I've seen of Gaunce, he has a very good mind for hockey and that he seems to put himself in the right place at the right time for either defense or offense. Good things will happen when he's on the ice. He's not a dynamic player, so if that's the only way one evaluates hockey players then he definitely will not stand out.

He anticipates the play extremely well for a young player and can pass and receive the puck with little trouble. He plays with his head up all the time. He's got a nice release and tends to put the puck to the places that his team mates should be. He dictates the play in that fashion and by positioning himself on the ice. There's a ton of nuance in his game and that to me suggests a guy who will be very successful in the NHL.

He's a great prospect that doesn't fit most standard molds and that seems to confound a lot of people who watch him. Too slow, behind the play, no offense, no real skills, etc. I think he's got a ton of promise and upside and am really curious to see what he does in these games before he's sent down.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him playing with the club next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad