Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 3-2 (Gaunce, Shinkaruk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Shinkaruk is a offense first sniper. His basic skills (shot, stick handling, foot work) in that regard are beyond a junior level and pro-ready. What the coaching staff and organization need to balance is whether or not he is physically ready. You do not want to do what the Jackets did with Brule where he just wasn't physically ready and it results in broken bones (leg and sternum). Nugent-Hopkins as well IMO wasn't physically ready and the Oilers have paid for it a bit I think with his shoulder issues.

If they feel he can compete at the NHL level over a very large chunk of the season then he has a good chance to make the team. I do think he gets some regular season games if he continues to work hard and push himself. Torts is very open in what he wants to see and if he sees that from a player he will reward it. To not do so would be to undermine yourself.

So in my limited (and all of our) limited viewings Shinkaruk is one guy who has seemingly stepped up his play through each stage of this camp. If he continues to step up that play he has as good a shot as any of the other youngsters of seeing regular season games.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We simply don't have a player like Shinkaruk anywhere in our organization. He's a unique type of player and I think would bring an element to this team that we sorely lack. Granted, it's not ideal to have to rely on an 18 year old to bring what he brings, but because our GM has ignored this area for so long this is what we are resorted to.

There aren't many players who could score the goal he scored last night.

Yes, but I also don't want to bring him up and force him into the NHL if he isn't ready. Worse case scenario, he starts strong enough to make the team, then his play drops off from a variety of reasons. Confidence (which doesn't seem to be a problem), not being able to handle the physicality of the NHL on a nightly basis, etc

I don't think there is any harm in sending him back to Medicine Hat, but potential risks if we keep him up past 9 games. It's going to be a very tough decision if HS keeps playing like he did in the third

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hunter is not getting over nine games. He'd have to be on fire just to get the nine itself.

Between the developmental aspects to the financial ones it's just not happening.

But go ahead kid; prove me wrong. Get five goals and five assists in those nine games.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Hunter is not getting over nine games. He'd have to be on fire just to get the nine itself.
I agree with this...if Canucks were rebuilding, they might put a 18 year old on the second line.
But a team aspiring to a long playoff run cannot afford that luxury.
Would not be surprised to see Hunter in the Calder Trophy race in 2014-15, though.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Lack, Corrado and Shinkaruk.

I've deleted everything else from my memory.

How no one has mention Tommernes excellent game just goes to show the real lack of proper scouting ability on HFboards/ casual fandom.

Tommernes had the best game of the young guys. He had the best forward movement of the puck, looked comfortable (for a young dman) and had two assists to show for it.

Shinkaruk appeared to have difficulties in the first dealing with the bigger bodies but pulled out a good statistical game and showed his skill on the goal. How this guy went so late is comical.

Lack looked good. Quick for a big guy. Can't blame him much for the goals against. Didnt handle a couple shots, letting it drop to his feet, but still did well.

Jensen was invisible for majority of the game.

Bo Horvat had a couple glimpses of talent. But it was only in a couple good passes. Appeared to be playing a defensive minded game. If he was told to be the defensive line, he did ok at it. For his age he certainly didnt get bodied like Shinkaruk in the first.

Kelser shot a lot. Needs to start moving the puck more. Simple passes get completely ignored by that guy.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
People seem to forget that not only did hunter play well, but this was against a huge sharks team.

Let's see how he does against quicker players who are stronger.

So far so good

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Can anyone provide a bit more commentary on Lain or did he not play last night?

Gillis has repeatedly stated how NHL ready he is, but reports have been underwhelming thus far. I've been busy and haven't been able to watch any games or scrimmages, but between Gaunce and Lain is the consensus that Gaunce has outplayed him?

Would certainly improve the team if Richardson plays LW on the 4th instead of Sestito.

Link?

I've never heard Gillis make this direct a comment about Lain. And if he did, I question whether he watched him last season.

I've never seen any "NHL ready" hockey from the kid yet.

In the scrimmage, he had a decent first couple shifts, and was largely a non-factor the rest of the game.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
How no one has mention Tommernes excellent game just goes to show the real lack of proper scouting ability on HFboards/ casual fandom.

Tommernes had the best game of the young guys. He had the best forward movement of the puck, looked comfortable (for a young dman) and had two assists to show for it.

Shinkaruk appeared to have difficulties in the first dealing with the bigger bodies but pulled out a good statistical game and showed his skill on the goal. How this guy went so late is comical.

Lack looked good. Quick for a big guy. Can't blame him much for the goals against. Didnt handle a couple shots, letting it drop to his feet, but still did well.

Bo Horvat had a couple glimpses of talent. But it was only in a couple good passes. Appeared to be playing a defensive minded game. If he was told to be the defensive line, he did ok at it. For his age he certainly didnt get bodied like Shinkaruk in the first.

Kelser shot a lot. Needs to start moving the puck more. Simple passes get completely ignored by that guy.

Tommernes looked rough to start but really played a quietly solid game after he settle down. I'd chalk it up to NA ice adjustments and nerves. He also picked up assists on both goals.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I agree with this...if Canucks were rebuilding, they might put a 18 year old on the second line.
But a team aspiring to a long playoff run cannot afford that luxury.
Would not be surprised to see Hunter in the Calder Trophy race in 2014-15, though.

who are the better options that will help the Canucks score on a long playoff run?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

I'm glad to see some other people noticed this. I saw some criticisms of Tommernes' defensive play last night, as if it wasn't to be expected that he would make a couple gaffes and look a bit uncomfortable in his first ever game on North American ice.

I think what matters is that his strengths as an offensive, puck moving defenseman shone right from the get go and that he ended up with 2 assists to show for it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I noticed him as well and posted earlier:
"Tommernes made a couple of bad defensive plays but then played a pretty solid game and assisted on both goals. I was pretty impressed with his overall play."

Outside of his one bad pass that got picked off by Hertl I thought he looked pretty solid.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I noticed him as well and posted earlier:
"Tommernes made a couple of bad defensive plays but then played a pretty solid game and assisted on both goals. I was pretty impressed with his overall play."

Outside of his one bad pass that got picked off by Hertl I thought he looked pretty solid.

His passing was great but he was chasing a bit in his own zone (not as bad as Weber but still was chasing a bit). While Corrado and Hamhuis were almost never chasing and that's the difference between being ready and not ready i suppose. The chasing part can easily be corrected by better positioning and that'll be something he'll work on in the AHL. I did say earlier i thought he had a better game than both Weber and Alberts (aka 3rd best D tonight) but when you compare to the other 3, it isn't saying much since both Weber and Alberts played poorly and Biega should be cut already... If Biega keeps playing like this, you wonder if he can even make Utica's team...:laugh:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Shinkaruk and Horvat need to go back to the OHL. Horvat 1 more year in the OHL, Shinkaruk maybe two more years in the OHL ....so that he can focus on building strength and size.

Gaunce has one more year in the OHL..I hope he focuses on developing his offense. This is a confidence year. He should put up tons of points and get mentally ready. Then he can probably step into the NHL since he's got the size...but he may need some AHL time too.

Jensen needs a year in the ahl imo. Actually..he probably needs two years in the AHL...one to get used to it and another to dominate.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Shinkaruk and Horvat need to go back to the OHL. Horvat 1 more year in the OHL, Shinkaruk maybe two more years in the OHL ....so that he can focus on building strength and size.

Gaunce has one more year in the OHL..I hope he focuses on developing his offense. This is a confidence year. He should put up tons of points and get mentally ready. Then he can probably step into the NHL since he's got the size...but he may need some AHL time too.

Jensen needs a year in the ahl imo. Actually..he probably needs two years in the AHL...one to get used to it and another to dominate.

Pretty much, yes.

I think if Shinkaruk can get stronger in one year he'd be ready. He has NHL skill, just not the frame yet.

Horvat has the frame but a year of being captain, dominating a league and playing the CHL finals will only help.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

He doesnt need any time in the OHL... he wont learn how to be a pro in Junior.. AHL would be good but that's not an option at this point.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Pretty much sums it up... tho Gaunce showing does put some pressure on JS. If Gaunce outplays JS all pre-season, it puts management in a tough spot since once Gaunce gets sent down, you can't change your mind anymore. Gaunce does have a NHL body but playing an extra year in Jr (and hopefully dominating) probably helps his development more than playing 10-15 minutes a night in the NHL (at most) and burning a year off his ELC.

Basically JS has been served and its his turn to step up next game ...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pretty much sums it up... tho Gaunce showing does put some pressure on JS. If Gaunce outplays JS all pre-season, it puts management in a tough spot since once Gaunce gets sent down, you can't change your mind anymore. Gaunce does have a NHL body but playing an extra year in Jr (and hopefully dominating) probably helps his development more than playing 10-15 minutes a night in the NHL (at most) and burning a year off his ELC.

Gaunce puts more pressure on Richardson than on Schroeder (Gaunce is very unlikely to be 3rd line ready this year, but 4th line is possible). I'd say Richardson is the one putting pressure on Schroeder though (Schroeder is only 3rd line likely, Richardson is 3rd or 4th).

Hal 9000*

I disagree, playing up to 15 minutes in the NHL and directly learning from the likes of Henrik, Daniel, Kesler and Burrows is way more valuable than playing 20 minutes a night in junior.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Did anyone else realize there was a new coaching strategy during the game?

I sure did. On the 5 on 3 the player composition is now 1 forward 2 defencemen, whereas with AV it has always been 2 forwards and 1 defencemen (which always seem to fail).

arsmaster*

Tommernes played some nice minutes, I don't think he was outrageously good or bad. For me he wasn't as good as your telling me he was.

For me the abundance of PK and PP time for both teams didn't really give me a good enough idea what Tommernes can do - 1/4 of his time was on the PP.

But I'm glad you shared your "proper scouting" with us.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I guarantee Shinkaruk doesn't play a single game in the OHL this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad