GDT: Pre-Season Game #1 - 9.22.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM

MetalGodAOD*

To your last point, by all accounts KConn has good pre-season as well. So yea, Dillon needs to just settle.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To your last point, by all accounts KConn has good pre-season as well. So yea, Dillon needs to just settle.

Yeah I was surprised by him tonight. He wasn't as good as Jokipakka IMO, but he's not just an option for the 7th spot. He seems to have done some solid work this summer and seems like an improved player.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Regardless of eveerything else, it was interesting seeing a little bit of chemistry between Cole and Dickinson. It only took a, what, 19 year old kid to get Cole's game going?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I wonder if Jokipakka, Honka, Dickinson, and McKenzie earned a spot in the next game or if they will rotate them out. I'm interested to see if we have some cuts tomorrow too.

Honka and Dickinson I can understand, even though he was one of our best players tonight IMO.

But Jokipakka has to stay. He was all over the place, in all three zones. McKenzie the same.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I agree with piqued there's almost no chance. Even if Horcoff isn't a enter option for them, I 100% agree Fiddler makes a mostly seamless replacement on the third line until the contract is resolved .... Faksa, Morin, Dowling, etc. are more than capable of 12 or so minutes a game as well. I still lean towards Faksa because he's a guy that come in and give them quality PK minutes. I think Ruff wants that out of his bottom 2 centers.

I wasn't suggesting Dickinson slot into the 3rd line, I was suggesting he get in a handful of NHL games centering the 4th line. If there is a long holdout Faksa would be the obvious choice to come in and be the guy to hold down the fort.

I'm thinking more along the lines of developing Dickinson without hurting the team, because I don't think he'd be out of place for a few games playing 10-12 minutes.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm not going to stick up for Cin and say Jordie Benn is trash. That said he's not extraordinary either and his propensity for icing the puck because he can't make a better play out of the zone annoys the crap out of me. Jordie made huge strides last year and certainly is a lock on the roster. I also would not be surprised if at least 2 of the kids end up better than him by the end of the year and would be quite happy to see him traded for a 2nd + this off season.

Agree with G here too, Dickinson and Elie get a nice pat on the back and head back to their teams soon. They're also going to play the Texas guys at least twice more to see who seperates themselves.

I do wonder though if enough of the kids stand out and Dillon doesn't come to terms a week into the season if they'll consider trading him. He's worth a lot to a team like Calgary, Florida, Edmonton or the NYI to name a few.

Glovesave, I think at this point it's not about hurting Dickinson's development as much as it would be not wanting to send the wrong message to the Texas guys. Faska, McKenzie, Glennie, Morin, Ranford, Ritchie have all paid their AHL dues and are just as much if not more prepared for the NHL than Dickinson. Why block giving one of them a taste or some kind of rotation if it becomes necessary to see who rises above? Besides at this juncture you can't say he deserves it more.

Last edited:

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
The crowd was great at the AAC for a preseason game.

Also they played the new intro which is usually never ready by the time preseason starts..

They also gave us promotions and threw shirts in the crowd and had the Taco Goal. It was so weird.

We have an owner that cares and has money and it's just something I haven't seen in years or ever in preseason.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Heck I'm impressed and grateful that they listened to fans and actually decided to stream the game. Would be nice next time if they fix the aspect ratio and mute Levine's mic. Let him sit there in the booth and talk all he wants and just don't tell him his mic doesn't work. That way everyone's happy.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Heck I'm impressed and grateful that they listened to fans and actually decided to stream the game. Would be nice next time if they fix the aspect ratio and mute Levine's mic. Let him sit there in the booth and talk all he wants and just don't tell him his mic doesn't work. That way everyone's happy.

Yeah, Levine is pretty bad. He loves hockey but he's a terrible announcer.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Why would they bring Owen Newkirk up from Texas just have him sit and listen to Bruce all game? Frustrating.

Bruce is bad, but no one is as bad as that St. John's guy broadcasting the Calder Cup finals. (Satan, who won that series, by the way?)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Well that will do it.

Stars were the better team tonight, and earned the win.

St. Louis did their usual thing where they constantly worked the puck back to the points and threw low percentage shots at the net, and they got paid off twice with that strategy. Skill will beat that out most times, and it did tonight. Each of the Stars' goals were highlight reel stuff, and they gave the fans a good show tonight.

O rly? If you think that's what the Blues actually do, then I guess it's been proven that skill will most certainly NOT beat that out most times. :laugh:

Anyways I originally got here just to say props for an 18 page GDT in the preseason. Honkas gonna be a good one.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
O rly? If you think that's what the Blues actually do, then I guess it's been proven that skill will most certainly NOT beat that out most times. :laugh:

Anyways I originally got here just to say props for an 18 page GDT in the preseason. Honkas gonna be a good one.

Yeah cause it's not like 20 of the 30 teams in the league don't play the exact same conservative game plan as the Blues, St. Louis is just the very best at it along with the Kings.

Of course if the Blues can dominate the shot clock they'll win more often then not, but when the game is close like it was last night at even strength and the one team is creating more off the rush I'll pick them to win. If that Oilers blogger who was creating statistical models off of shot distance was working the game last night he would have noticed a major difference between where the shots were coming on the ice for the Blues and where the Stars were creating them.

Personally that kind of gameplan is what I saw out of the Blues last year too, and I'm not surprised the Stars had some good success against your team when they played their more wide open style. We'll see what happens this year because with Gunnarsson on the blueline instead of Polak, and the additions of Stastny and those European depth forwards the blues actually have some tools to play a more creative style of hockey. Don't know if Hitchcock will allow them to though.

Primetimey*

Anyone know this Will Martin guy? How does he have a press pass.. he is an idiot. Note his question at the 5 second mark.

Primetimey*

Well apparently the Blitz thinks our minor league affiliate is in Cedar Springs and that Dickinson played there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad