GDT: Pre-Season Game #1 - 9.22.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
At most Honka will get the 9 game look this year.. obviously.

I really hope somebody claims Morin when the Stars put him on waivers. He deserves a shot in the NHL, even if it is with a **** team like Phoenix or something.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Kids played pretty well. Not sure about Roussel-Spezza-Hemsky as a trio but it's only been a couple of scrimmages and one game.

Lindback did okay for himself.

All in all when Dallas played their game, not St. Louis' they were the better team.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
How can Oleksiak and Glennie fall any further?

They fell in the sense that others outshined them that shouldn't be outshining them at this point. Not that it wasn't predictable, but still. Jokipakka is/was much lower on the depth chart and most people's prospect rankings than Oleksiak for instance....Honka looks better than him at 18.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So then you're telling me it'll be:

Goligoski-Daley
Dillon(Who knows now)-Nemeth
Benn(Because he has naked pictures of Nill)-Honka

Then KConn, Gonchar, and Oleksiak all in Dallas?

Just don't see it lol.

Oleksiak should've been up last season, and he's now turned into triad bait if he doesn't make the squad out of camp.

The useless ones being Gonchar, Benn, and now Connauton since he won't get played over somebody like Honka if he does in fact make the team.

Benn played great last year.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
How can Oleksiak and Glennie fall any further?
Plenty of room for Oleksiak to fall.

Glennie was so-so... his claim to fame is pretty much going to be the fact that he requires waivers. I don't have much doubt that McKenzie would be a better fit on the lower lines if they needed someone to play real games.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
They fell in the sense that others outshined them that shouldn't be outshining them at this point. Not that it wasn't predictable, but still. Jokipakka is/was much lower on the depth chart and most people's prospect rankings than Oleksiak for instance....Honka looks better than him at 18.

Gotcha. Good points and agreed.

MetalGodAOD*

Sounds like I missed a good one. Nice to see Joki continuing to excel. I think he has the inside track on the #6 spot right now as long as Dillon is out. Dickinson too! What a moment for the kid.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Is it conceivable that if Eakin goes into the season unsigned that we could see Dickinson play in some real NHL games? Obviously, not so many that his contract kicks in, but a few to let him know what he needs to work on during his last junior season.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
He was the #3 D-man on the team. Your mancrush on Oleksiak doesn't suddenly diminish what Jo. Benn did last year.

Just because he was slotted as a #3 doesn't mean he played well enough to even be considered a #4.

Does everybody just completely forget about everything that happens the previous season? He had some really, really great play throughout the season. But he wasn't anywhere close to being as good as people on this forum claim him to be. Also has absolutely nothing to do with Oleksiak, soooo whatever on that argument.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Is it conceivable that if Eakin goes into the season unsigned that we could see Dickinson play in some real NHL games? Obviously, not so many that his contract kicks in, but a few to let him know what he needs to work on during his last junior season.
Nah, not far enough along yet. Fiddler moving up is a better option. So is Morin.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Are you talking about the lockout shortened season where our team was utter trash?

He made up for that and more with his performances last season.

MetalGodAOD*

I think Faksa has played his way into that spot so far first and foremost, but never know.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Gotcha. Good points and agreed.

I wonder if Jokipakka, Honka, Dickinson, and McKenzie earned a spot in the next game or if they will rotate them out. I'm interested to see if we have some cuts tomorrow too.

On a separate note, Cole was another guy who did himself a favor in having a big game tonight. He's not fighting for a spot on the opening day roster, but he is fighting for icetime as well as fighting to not get traded.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Okay I obviously can't bring up how mediocre Jordie Benn actually is anymore. Keep sipping the FSSW kool-aid!

Honka looked fantastic.

MetalGodAOD*

Okay I obviously can't bring up how mediocre Jordie Benn actually is anymore. Keep sipping the FSSW kool-aid!

Honka looked fantastic.

You bring up whatever you want, but some people might disagree with you. Shocking I know on an internet forum. :sarcasm:

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
You bring up whatever you want, but some people might disagree with you. Shocking I know on an internet forum. :sarcasm:

I think we're all very much aware that disagreements happen online. Especially when my name comes up. I did notice the sarcasm emote!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I agree with piqued there's almost no chance. Even if Horcoff isn't a enter option for them, I 100% agree Fiddler makes a mostly seamless replacement on the third line until the contract is resolved .... Faksa, Morin, Dowling, etc. are more than capable of 12 or so minutes a game as well. I still lean towards Faksa because he's a guy that come in and give them quality PK minutes. I think Ruff wants that out of his bottom 2 centers.

At this point Eakin is banking on an injury or two or he's screwed. Nill's playing a smart game and doesn't have to blink. Dillon though is a much stronger word than screwed ... much, much stronger. He needs a plague to essentially hit the D. They've got as much depth as anyone. I don't know I'm testing fate or anything with the injury talk. If you believe in that nonsense I'd offer up Eakin, Dillon, and their agent as counter balancing with some negative karma. I don't have a problem with what they're doing, but you know deep down they're pulling for the team to fall apart a bit. That's not wrong or anything from a business standpoint ... it's their only hope ... just like what happened for Kuemper in Minnesota. I just hope very much they don't get their wish and it blows up in their face.

Seriously though ... Connauton is clearly not an after thought. It was for sure a question to me how he'd respond to being mostly an after thought. Even Nill pretty much excludes him in the potential D talk option to beat the 4 Horseman of the Calder Cup to death. He's a legit option still at this point. Jokipakka might have solidified himself as a front runner. We haven't even seen Klingberg yet in a real game, and he's already getting better reports than last year. It's tough to be a fringe D in Dallas right now, and that's probably the best thing possible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad