GDT: Pre Season 9/16/18 1:00 PM Flyers @ Islanders NC

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm sure coaching and time will help improve systems and defensive structure, etc., but I can't help but think that having a coach who the players respect (and maybe fear a little bit, if nothing else than for playing time) will cause a near instantaneous improvement in defensive commitment. I don't feel like Weight put a lot of stock in that (defense), and Cappy maybe did but wasn't able to consistently transmit the message or get the players to buy in. I'm sure there will be blips in the wrong direction, but overall I would not be surprised to see a big improvement right away.

I think being coached by Trotz for a short period might be some added motivation for some prospects. A mentality of "I get to play for that guy if I make it" after having positive interactions with him.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I believe the game is being streamed on the NBC Sports app for anyone interested

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's the battle cry for almost every non-playoff team.

Last year the Devils under Shero had a very simple one. They have to earn the respect of opponents each game, because he felt they were not respected the year before. Boy did that go far...I think Coaches use a bevy of motivation tricks. Us against the world is another popular one.

Trotz is clearly preaching going the full mile. Commitment in finishing a check, and yes, Being Hard to Play Against. You may not win every game like this, but the other team will have to pay a price if they beat the Isles this year. That's something as Isles fans can be proud of this season if they play to this philosophy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, yesterday the Isles played a very weak Philly side. Let’s see what the guys can do tonight. Win, or let Ross Johnston send a message.

They also have Lee and Bailey in tonight. Definitely not as good as the line up they iced at home. All you can ask, is for the Isles be hard to play against. See if Trotz's structure, system and lessons kick in.

Reactions: Wanderson

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Last year the Devils under Shero had a very simple one. They have to earn the respect of opponents each game, because he felt they were not respected the year before. Boy did that go far...I think Coaches use a bevy of motivation tricks. Us against the world is another popular one.

Trotz is clearly preaching going the full mile. Commitment in finishing a check, and yes, Being Hard to Play Against. You may not win every game like this, but the other team will have to pay a price if they beat the Isles this year. That's something as Isles fans can be proud of this season if they play to this philosophy.

That's all well and good but at the end of the day it is skill that trumps all.

The Isles were easy to play against last season because they had no defensive structure. They tried to outgun every team and it didn't work. That's all I want from Trotz. Implement a sound defensive scheme. I don't need to hear cliches about being a "tough team to play against." Typically it's buzzwords that losing teams use (eg. "The boys battled hahd.")

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
They also have Lee and Bailey in tonight. Definitely not as good as the line up they iced at home. All you can ask, is for the Isles be hard to play against. See if Trotz's structure, system and lessons kick in.

Hopefully! It will be interesting to see what the defence will achieve tonight. They will be tested... I’m excited about the upcoming season. I think (and hope) the Isles will suck this season, but this’s the start of something great.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's all well and good but at the end of the day it is skill that trumps all.

The Isles were easy to play against last season because they had no defensive structure. They tried to outgun every team and it didn't work. That's all I want from Trotz. Implement a sound defensive scheme. I don't need to hear cliches about being a "tough team to play against." Typically it's buzzwords that losing teams use (eg. "The boys battled hahd.")

I am going to partially disagree with you here. You need will and structure as well as skill. This is what the Isles are trying to teach Hosang this season. If it was just skill he would have this team made already. No one questions his skill, he has to be what Trotz wants. Hard to play against, go the full distance when you do things. Or as he said poignantly we will fish you out.

Teams go farther than individuals. VGK showed the NHL this is possible. Trotz is about winning. He has the resume to back up the buzzwords as you call it. He knows a committed team will win more their share of games than losing them. This could be a year he is also plenty motivated, what better way than to follow a cup than to turn a team that lost their Judas savior into a playoff team. Would be quite the story.

Hopefully! It will be interesting to see what the defence will achieve tonight. They will be tested... I’m excited about the upcoming season. I think (and hope) the Isles will suck this season, but this’s the start of something great.

Yeah, I am excited. Can't wait till the season starts. It's a project in progress. I will be watching my share of Isles games this season. Nothing more I would like is for them to surprise. As long as they play with pride, that I recall when Bossy and Potvin played. Down to players like Nystrom and Langevin all had pride in that jersey. It will make this season a great one to watch.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Czech and Russian are both slavic languages but they are very different. That's like saying if you speak English you speak German. I would guess that Kovar speaks some Russian since he's played in Russia for 5 years but I highly doubt he's fluent. 30+ years ago it was mandatory to learn Russian but that is no longer the case.
Exactly. If it was Russian, no problem, as Komarov is fluent in Russian, as well as English, Finnish, and Swedish. Czech is quite different.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I had some Russian students stay at my place from couchsurfing and they were studying in Czech. They did pick up the language faster. From personal experience Czech is closer (at least to me) to Slovenian/Serbo-croation ...it's almost a mix of the two and Polish is close to Ukranian. As for Finnish....a lot of Fins speak Russian as they have a highly active economic trade with the Russians.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I had some Russian students stay at my place from couchsurfing and they were studying in Czech. They did pick up the language faster. From personal experience Czech is closer (at least to me) to Slovenian/Serbo-croation ...it's almost a mix of the two and Polish is close to Ukranian. As for Finnish....a lot of Fins speak Russian as they have a highly active economic trade with the Russians.
I'm from the Czech Republic and you are pretty much spot on here. But while it may be "easier" for Czechs to learn Russian (and vice-versa) I don't think we can assume that Kovar, having only spent 5 hockey seasons there (not as a student), that he can actually speak Russian.

And Polish is very similar to Czech (and Slovak) as well. I understand probably every 3rd or 4th word or so in Polish. Enough to have a drunk conversation in a Polish pub. :)

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad