GDT: Pre Season 9/16/18 1:00 PM Flyers @ Islanders NC

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in:

Bellows: If that was not a NHL goal then I don't know what is? Just found the soft spot and did not hesitate to bury it. The celebration was even better. Been there done that and I'm not surprised celebration. Love it! Think the kid believes he has a chance to make the nhl this year. Hopefully he makes that a tough call for trotts.

Dobson: ahhh, the kid is what 15 years old or something? Saw some glimpses but back to the Q he goes.

Clutterbuck's muzzle may be off this year with Matt Martin lurking around. Hopefully they stay healthy

Barzal: will it kill you kid to dish the puck off alittle (lol) Don't worry you will get it back. Seemed to play to get into game shape. Had a gear he never used..

the rest didn't really notice

lets go isles

Two comments:

Clutterbuck - The only reason he'll be effective is because he knows if he doesn't go all out for Trotz he'll be seeing the press box

Barzal - If you followed this kid during the summer you can see that he's in much better shape than last year. He's starting to get his man strength and probably has 2 or 3 more gears in him.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I do love seeing Clutterbuck and Matt Martin together again. After watching playoff hockey last season it was obvious the Isles were not a scary team to play.
I fear the officials won't let Clutterbuck play his game and expect to see him in the box a lot, but the refs do seem to respect Martin and he has a cleaner overall game. So glad he's back.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Good to see Bellows silencing the critics. Kieffer will be a consistent 30 goal scorer in the NHL. Best shot and really best overall array of shots in the system. I can't believe he was mentioned in the same breath as Dal Colle recently on these boards.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Glad to see the PK start off strong. :thumbu:

I am not thrilled with the preseason schedule.
Hockey is back and I work every night this week.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in:

Barzal: will it kill you kid to dish the puck off alittle (lol) Don't worry you will get it back. Seemed to play to get into game shape. Had a gear he never used..

So you think instead of maintaining posession and working to find an opportunity he should just pass the puck for the hell of it? Or more straightforward: keep posession or make an ill advised pass that accomplishes nothing?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So you think instead of maintaining posession and working to find an opportunity he should just pass the puck for the hell of it? Or more straightforward: keep posession or make an ill advised pass that accomplishes nothing?

I agree with you.

It can “look” annoying, but Barzal is actually working the defense out of position when he’s curling back and forth. The attention he creates opens up lanes and opportunities for his teammates.

Most NHL teams play a zone and what Barzal does is he brings people with him that shouldn’t be in that zone, opening up a lot of ice elsewhere.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I was kind of tongue and cheek but my impression in my dime store mind is that clearly he is going to get multiple players crowding him when he does his thing. Barzy adjusted so well last year after every challenge and I have no doubt he will draw them in then dish it off and maybe get the puck back. Felt like Barzal was fooling around yesterday and trying new things....

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Kovar is Czech, and Czech is way closer to Russian, than to English, so Kovar speaks Russian... If Isles sign Panarin, Artemi will have someone to talk. And then hopefully Sorokin and Golyshev will come.

Czech and Russian are both slavic languages but they are very different. That's like saying if you speak English you speak German. I would guess that Kovar speaks some Russian since he's played in Russia for 5 years but I highly doubt he's fluent. 30+ years ago it was mandatory to learn Russian but that is no longer the case.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good to see Bellows silencing the critics. Kieffer will be a consistent 30 goal scorer in the NHL. Best shot and really best overall array of shots in the system. I can't believe he was mentioned in the same breath as Dal Colle recently on these boards.

-Complains about people mentioning Bellows in the same breath as Dal Colle.

-Mentions Bellows in the same breath as Dal Colle.

Make up your mind!

(Kidding) :sarcasm:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I do love seeing Clutterbuck and Matt Martin together again. After watching playoff hockey last season it was obvious the Isles were not a scary team to play.
I fear the officials won't let Clutterbuck play his game and expect to see him in the box a lot, but the refs do seem to respect Martin and he has a cleaner overall game. So glad he's back.
Trotz said last year as a Caps coach and echoed by his players was that the Isles were soft to play against. Brought back Martin, brought in Komarov.

Going to enjoy to seeing some good forechecking again.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's only preseason but the zero is a good sign. Amazing what coaching can do, I also believe coaching will get better individual numbers to players.

Also what stood out to me in the boxscore is Pulock. 24+mins.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's only preseason but the zero is a good sign. Amazing what coaching can do, I also believe coaching will get better individual numbers to players.

Also what stood out to me in the boxscore is Pulock. 24+mins.

Philadelphia wasn't playing any of their offensive firepower though, so I wouldn't read too much into the zero on the board.

Reactions: ndgolden

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Philadelphia wasn't playing any of their offensive firepower though, so I wouldn't read too much into the zero on the board.

Excitement should be tempered on all levels good or bad, Philly was playing no one of note yesterday against basically our 1st and 4th lines. Tonight we are dressing our second line against basically their entire starting forwards and best d. These early games mean very little to the readiness of any of our players, let's wait a few weeks before we too excited about anyone or anything.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's a positive start.

Yes, it's just not something to get too excited over. I don't really care if the team wins or loses these games, it's more about the individual players and their effort/skills. We'll see more structure later on when they start making cuts and putting more of the real roster together.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, it's just not something to get too excited over. I don't really care if the team wins or loses these games, it's more about the individual players and their effort/skills. We'll see more structure later on when they start making cuts and putting more of the real roster together.

I admittedly did not watch the game. I think I noticed Konecny and Patrick in the boxscores only for Philly. But I am a believer in momentum, and building from the ground level up. I think you have to hit the bottom basically before going up. All I am saying is this plants a seed in the Isles players heads. A shut out under Trotz in his first game. Yes, it's preseason, and yes the competition was minus the Flyers best scorers. But it a small step fwd, given this team's GA record last year. I don't think players are overreacting to this, but it is a seed planted. I think every game matters in the preseason, it will be tougher next game. But this is a new regime, and I have to say for me, a non Isles fan though I am a big fan of the players. It's a good sign to come out of the gate like this. Even knowing it doesn't mean anything in the regular season. I do agree about seeing signs of structure, and establishing an identity. Hopefully we start to see what kind of team this is.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure coaching and time will help improve systems and defensive structure, etc., but I can't help but think that having a coach who the players respect (and maybe fear a little bit, if nothing else than for playing time) will cause a near instantaneous improvement in defensive commitment. I don't feel like Weight put a lot of stock in that (defense), and Cappy maybe did but wasn't able to consistently transmit the message or get the players to buy in. I'm sure there will be blips in the wrong direction, but overall I would not be surprised to see a big improvement right away.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I admittedly did not watch the game. I think I noticed Konecny and Patrick in the boxscores only for Philly. But I am a believer in momentum, and building from the ground level up. I think you have to hit the bottom basically before going up. All I am saying is this plants a seed in the Isles players heads. A shut out under Trotz in his first game. Yes, it's preseason, and yes the competition was minus the Flyers best scorers. But it a small step fwd, given this team's GA record last year. I don't think players are overreacting to this, but it is a seed planted. I think every game matters in the preseason, it will be tougher next game. But this is a new regime, and I have to say for me, a non Isles fan though I am a big fan of the players. It's a good sign to come out of the gate like this. Even knowing it doesn't mean anything in the regular season. I do agree about seeing signs of structure, and establishing an identity. Hopefully we start to see what kind of team this is.

I wasn't disagreeing, just that it's more of an added bonus than anything else. If winning the pre-season games means the team will win more regular season games, sign me up. If losing the games means they'll win more regular season games, sign me up. :laugh:

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->